What type of golf club member are you

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

What type of golf club member are you

• Total voters

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, same thing at ours, I posted in irritations the other day - club has started doing catering in-house, sausage and bacon sandwiches on offer... from 11am. What's the point? :LOL: At my old club (6 or 7 years ago) we often used to meet before our round for a sit-down breakfast. Not really possible now unless we're playing after midday I guess.

Same here, at a previous club you could get a bacon roll and a decent filter coffee from 7.30.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Exactly, dress code, stuffy atmosphere, outdated and outmoded attitudes that can border on the offensive. There are no end of things I would alter about some golf clubs before we even got in to the decor.
I must admit I know very few golf clubs that would conform to this rather old fashioned stereotype these days.
I would go as far as to say the attitude that this is common is now outdated. It certainly exists but I don't recognise it as common in the vast majority of clubhouses that I visit.

D

Deleted member 15344

Exactly, dress code, stuffy atmosphere, outdated and outmoded attitudes that can border on the offensive. There are no end of things I would alter about some golf clubs before we even got in to the decor.

A lot of club are moving on from this stuff

But any club with some aged members will have issues - but that shouldn’t be reflected on the club but on the person who has a poor attitude

And there will be many clubs in multiple sports where there will be members with outdated attitudes

Golf has made a lot of leaps forward and many clubs have moved forward - it’s hard to not see you judging all clubs based on experiences you have had in the past

D

Deleted member 35577

I must admit I know very few golf clubs that would conform to this rather old fashioned stereotype these days.
I would go as far as to say the attitude that this is common is now outdated. It certainly exists but I don't recognise it as common in the vast majority of clubhouses that I visit.
I agree completely. Virtually all clubhouses have moved with the times and are very relaxed now.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Not really debating the point, I speak as I see and so I quit being a member of a golf club. What you recognise and what I recognise can be different.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
A lot of club are moving on from this stuff

But any club with some aged members will have issues - but that shouldn’t be reflected on the club but on the person who has a poor attitude

And there will be many clubs in multiple sports where there will be members with outdated attitudes

Golf has made a lot of leaps forward and many clubs have moved forward - it’s hard to not see you judging all clubs based on experiences you have had in the past

As I replied above, I am not debating the point an the comments of others are not going to make me go 'Oh sorry I was wrong, I must have misinterpreted how I felt'. As I have been told many times, if you do not like it, leave, and I did and now play nomadic rounds with mates when I feel like it.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Lots of golf clubs have had a lick of paint and relaxed the dress code a bit. But, that is just window dressing.

It doesn’t stop the old boys clubs and attitude.

We have one of the most relaxed attitudes to dress code of any members club I have been to. And it’s generally a very friendly place.

However, I have on more than one occasion had to have words with a group in the clubhouse about their language, topics of conversation and how they behaved towards members of staff.

D

Deleted member 35577

However, I have on more than one occasion had to have words with a group in the clubhouse about their language, topics of conversation and how they behaved towards members of staff.
Just like any pub then which is exactly what a lot of people on here want their clubhouse to be like.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lots of golf clubs have had a lick of paint and relaxed the dress code a bit. But, that is just window dressing.

It doesn’t stop the old boys clubs and attitude.

We have one of the most relaxed attitudes to dress code of any members club I have been to. And it’s generally a very friendly place.

Which is as it should be. We have two very large Sunday roll up groups who frequent one end of the clubhouse (in what was an old incarnation of our spikes bar). We know that the longer people stay the louder, and sometimes more inappropriate it can get so we simply have the bar staff pull across the movable wall (not sound proof but definitely stops the noise carrying and it has to be a fair old noise to be heard) so we don't offend anyone enjoying a post round drink or dining. It has become a more relaxed place, including dress code and some have likened it to a pub especially with the sport on, and like a pub some topics will cross a line. One thing we are aware of is upsetting the bar staff. Don't bite the hand that serves

D

Deleted member 15344

As I replied above, I am not debating the point an the comments of others are not going to make me go 'Oh sorry I was wrong, I must have misinterpreted how I felt'. As I have been told many times, if you do not like it, leave, and I did and now play nomadic rounds with mates when I feel like it.

No one is saying you are wrong about what you expirenced when you were a member of a club years back

What people are saying is clubs are moving on and even if clubs do a lot of work that won’t ever stop having some human beings themselves having a poor attitude -there will be some backward attitudes with some people who grew up in a different time - that doesn’t mean golf clubs are all the same

Things do change and people do move on

BiMGuy

Visit site
Just like any pub then which is exactly what a lot of people on here want their clubhouse to be like.
What have pubs got to do with it? Who has said they want their clubhouse to be like a pub?

I should be able to take my kids in the clubhouse without having to tell some old boys to wind it in.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
No one is saying you are wrong about what you expirenced when you were a member of a club years back

What people are saying is clubs are moving on and even if clubs do a lot of work that won’t ever stop having some human beings themselves having a poor attitude -there will be some backward attitudes with some people who grew up in a different time - that doesn’t mean golf clubs are all the same

Things do change and people do move on

This was 2 years ago not decades back.

If I hear about any change through the grapevine then I will no doubt drop in to see.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What have pubs got to do with it? Who has said they want their clubhouse to be like a pub?

I should be able to take my kids in the clubhouse without having to tell some old boys to wind it in.
No but it is a two way street and it may be that irrespective of your club rules they don't want kids in the clubhouse but are old school so put up under a degree of sufferance. Not suggesting your kids would be unruly but I am sure other parents may not be as vigilant of their surroundings (you get my drift in a badly worded way!)

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm definitely a carpark golfer although I would love to spend time having a pint etc after. My problem is working six day weeks and having young kids it's a luxury for me just getting the time to play.

BiMGuy

Visit site
No but it is a two way street and it may be that irrespective of your club rules they don't want kids in the clubhouse but are old school so put up under a degree of sufferance. Not suggesting your kids would be unruly but I am sure other parents may not be as vigilant of their surroundings (you get my drift in a badly worded way!)
Riiight. I don’t want to listen to it either.

The fact you have to close of a section of the clubhouse because of inappropriate behaviour/comments entirely proves my point.

How many of the people that get a bit loud and inappropriate then drive home after a they’ve had a few pints or a we dram?

I don’t recall ever having to tell a group of juniors that their racist or sexist comments are inappropriate and they should be more aware of their surroundings.

Although, my lad did once go into the clubhouse with a cap on, so swings and roundabouts I suppose 🙄.

Like I said. A lick of paint and allowing jeans in the clubhouse doesn’t change attitudes of the people using it.

D-S

Visit site
I feel that it is fine as long as the bar and catering run at least at break even or at a small profit which supports the course and club infrastucture.

However if they run at a loss in order to serve the needs of a few members who need access to food from dawn till dusk and members get their way on inappropriately low pricing for food then every member ends up subsidising those that use those facilities the most - this, to my mind is unfair.

Visit site
The majority at our club are #2 - have a drink and leave.

Very few have a proper drinking sesh after playing.

Very few have food before or after.

I’m probably 2 or 3. I spent £1300 on my bar card in 2023 (includes half way hut costs, competition entries, bar tabs and match fees though)… Probably on the higher side at our club and also this forum? I need new friends who visit the bar more often!!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve normally got plans for after golf, whether it’s going for a long walk, shopping, diy/jobs around the house etc, spending time with my wife, it’s a fair trade off for spending 5-6 hours away from her on the only 2 days of the week we get off together. So, I always stop for a couple of drinks but never food. Especially not on a Sunday because the family come round and we have a roast dinner.

Hope that doesn’t mean I should be charged more 🤣
Now we’ve got back to a sensible thread…

I always play earlyish, around 8-8.30, kitchen opens at 9. I probably would purchase a sandwich to eat on my way around if they were available, or similarly, if we had a halfway hut I’d probably buy a sandwich. But eating after the round isn’t for me because i won’t be hungry for my tea. So, I always bring me own sandwich to eat during the round, I’ll often buy it from Tesco around the corner from the club.

Catering is an issue at my club and we were recently asked, as members, to complete a survey about the club in general. Something that came out was the kitchen opening times and the food on offer. To be fair to the club they’re struggling to recruit and retain kitchen staff, but they have said they’ll look into making sandwiches available from the pro shop as that’s open early, possibly hot sandwiches in ones of those glass warming units. If they do I’ll start buying my sandwiches from there rather than lining Tesco’s pockets.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Riiight. I don’t want to listen to it either.

The fact you have to close of a section of the clubhouse because of inappropriate behaviour/comments entirely proves my point.

How many of the people that get a bit loud and inappropriate then drive home after a they’ve had a few pints or a we dram?

I don’t recall ever having to tell a group of juniors that their racist or sexist comments are inappropriate and they should be more aware of their surroundings.

Although, my lad did once go into the clubhouse with a cap on, so swings and roundabouts I suppose 🙄.

Like I said. A lick of paint and allowing jeans in the clubhouse doesn’t change attitudes of the people using it.
I'm genuinely sorry your clubhouse is like that . I have hosted friends of both sexes and from different ethnic groups at my club and it has never crossed my mind that they would be likely to find offensive or demeaning language in the clubhouse as I have never hear it myself.