Do you play in a swindle/roll up

Do you play in a swindle

• Total voters

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I play in our sunday morning one. You sign up in advance, and draw sheet is produced by Saturday night. Between 20 and 30 usually play - some folk play very regularly, some just occasionally, and others once in a blue moon. About, 120 different people have played in it over the past summer.

NearHull

Visit site
We have two Roll Ups organised by the Club who reserve 5 tee times each Tuesday and Thursday. Any adult can play, mostly men, around 15 to 20 regular men attendees but one lady plays regularly. It’s a £1, so basically bragging rights. It’s used by the membership director to help integrate new members - though of course not that accessible to working members .
We play 2 from 4 Stableford on Tuesday and then most ( but the lady) play in the midweek Stableford comp on Thursday. Draw for teams. The Thursday works as individual play in a drawn group, in the clubhouse we add up the total team points and divide by the number of players in that team. We are very strong on reminding players that it is primarily an individual competition and they must play as such.

D

Deleted member 36474

Do these swindles/roll ups run beside club comps or do they take the place of club comps?

Looking from the outside it appears regular club comps are very infrequent at a lot of places.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Do these swindles/roll ups run beside club comps or do they take the place of club comps?

Looking from the outside it appears regular club comps are very infrequent at a lot of places.
ours take place when there isn’t a comp on

We have about 4 comps a month on the weekend and 1 a month during the week

The rest is social golf

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
The club kindly sets aside four tee times for us every Saturday morning when there is no competition on. We have a WhatsApp group with about 25 names, and the organiser sends a message out ten days before the day asking for interest and it’s basically the first 16 to reply.

Very occasionally we’re oversubscribed but not often. New members join as others move on, with a hardcore of about 8 who have been part of it for the twenty years I’ve been a member.

We run about one a month, maybe two out of season.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

My old club they run on days where there were no comps, new place you can still enter the comp as part of the roll up as long as it’s not a major which are drawn and stand alone. Obviously if you are entering the comp you must putt out.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Certainly at my place the roll ups far outnumber the comps.
We have around 40 Men's comps a year plus Club Matches, mixed etc etc..
But we have 17 different roll ups every week...

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fiddle every Monday, Wednesday & Friday. Officially about 50 in the group, about 25/30 on the day. 9 pre-booked slots given by the club. First 36 to arrive play. 3 from 4 or 2 from 3 to count. £3 fee. £12 downwards to prize winners. Surplus to the Xmas dinner wine.
Club handicap from start of year. 'Updated' monthly depending on cumulative winnings (or loss).
There are also a couple of smaller roll-ups on Wednesday.
Ladies have the course Tuesday & Thursday am.

dronfield

Visit site
Used to play in a group every Sat morning till Covid put an end to it when we then had to start booking teetimes. Post covid our club rules out slots for midweek fiddle groups but does not do this on Sat/Sun.
I play in one of the midweek fiddles - Tues/Thurs mornings

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Whenever there is not a club comp on the Sunday a group of us (between 8 and 24 people) will book a block of tees together and I guess that this may loosely fall into the category of a "swindle".

The format is always "skins"...so a slightly different emphasis on approach to risk than a traditional club competition. Plus we never bother to putt out from within 18 inches unless its going to be a meaningful score such as a birdie on a shot hole. Also...if there are four in a group then usually the balls will be tossed up and the four will play a better ball match on the side as well. We as a group (slightly different demographic but largely many of the same golfers) do a similar thing on a Friday...again skins is the format.

All similar regular gatherings where the same group (roughly) book the same tee times (roughly) each week are organized by the groups themselves. Each of them have their own rules, some play off WHS handicaps, some manage handicaps specifically for that group, including rules about handicap cuts and increases that fly in the face of WHS. These are private gatherings that should no more be included in a players handicap record than me playing a casual 18 holes with my dog (i can see what the follow up question might be :) ).

The only things the club organizes are the official club competitions...and there are plenty enough of them.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Paying to play in a swindle seems wrong, thats what my membership fee is for. I shouldnt have to pay extra for a social knock.....

One of the swindles I play in putting money in to the kitty is optional.

In another we build a fund that goes towards paying for an away day. The kitty on the day for prizes is only £1.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a tee time set aside for anyone who wants to play in a midweek roll up.
I play it fairly frequently, it's generally pretty sociable. There is no formal fee to play but depending on how many turn up there are games played for very small sums of money.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

We do not have any organised by the club.

The club runs a lot of comps at least 2 a week on different days only the Saturday, once a month, ones are compulsory to enter if you want book in advance.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

We have a wednesday and Friday swindle, £5 entry. If the midweek comp falls on the same day they will enter both (we arent drawn comps)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I used to play in a roll-up on non-club-comp Saturdays. £2 in the pot.
But since Covid it is full booking system.
Most of the same guys have organised the same as before, but I don't bother with their on-line payments in-and-out that they use.
I'll still put my name down to make up a fourball and we have a 2 vs 2 game, but I don't participate in the larger group individual swindle.
They have continued to play individual strokeplay with course handicaps rather than play individual strokeplay with playing handicap for individual strokeplay. So I have found it best not to join in with something I feel at odds with. Since WHS, I would be chucking away £2 every time through the winter.
I've been a member for a long time and have known some of the geezers I play with from 20 to 45 years. We get along fine with what they and I choose to do.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
If they are doing that for handicap purposes that is good. PH is really only for comp winning
It is never for handicap purposes. Cards are never submitted.
It is about 30 blokes playing stableford for money. That should be, as you say, PH for comp winning, because it is an individual strokeplay comp.