Do you play in a swindle/roll up

Do you play in a swindle

• Total voters

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But how do the groups get times together? My club is so busy there is no guarantee of getting a time never mind a group of them together.
There is a regular time reserved for the roll up, but to be honest it isn't difficult getting a time to play generally. Maybe weekend mornings can get booked but rarely any other times unless there is a large visiting group or an event.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
But how do the groups get times together? My club is so busy there is no guarantee of getting a time never mind a group of them together.
We have tee bookings anyway so fastest finger first. We run our group from 8.00am-9.32 on a Saturday so if you are booked in between those times and want to play you can. We have a whatsapp group as well for the regulars so if anyone drops out those that didn't get a booked time can get in

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
My answer is No - I am interested but can't commit.

With family life, my mobile disco side hustle and just general life I can't commit to a specific time every weekend and most of the swindles at LB seem to want you to play at least twice in a month, and for example, I don't think I can play a single Saturday in October...

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Play in two different ones. Saturday when the main board comps are finished is between 16 to 30 people. A couple of quid in and winner buys a bottle of wine etc.

Sunday one normally 6 to 8 of us, a tenner to enter, £3 for front and back and £4 overall. Cuts every week if at least 4 members, 1 shot for front, back, 2 for overall.
Then a shot for 36 points up to 39, 2 shots for over 40 points.
Cuts are for 2 weeks, If you then get a cut on a cut it's an extra shot. I remember being off 18 then getting down to 3 due to Cut on a Cut 😆

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Lots of Rollups through the week. I play in one Saturday except Sat comp days (occasional big Thursday am one).

Sat one is late morning. Tee time allocation by club (very controversial amongst some other members apparently ). Anyone can come along and join in…a true rollup and one that the club points new members to play in to get to know members. Usually 24-36. Random draw Everyone turns up for the draw. We also have an Order of Merit for it running summer - then winter.

The Sat rollup is currently under a great deal of pressure from the club…has triggered a furious response from the regulars. See my other post re gimmies/NRs. Talk of calling for an EGM/SGM and calls for resignations from the main committee pressurising the rollup. I’m trying to take a conciliatory view.

The club states the pressure coming from members as being around allocated tee times. I have a feeling that it could be about WHS and handicaps…and that as a pre-organised fully administered competition between 25-36 (sometimes more) members, the rollup comp should be for handicap purposes as it meets all the criteria set out for WHS purposes. At present it is not.

So Yes. Always play in our late Sat am rollup…but I play a lot of my golf outside of rollups.

Last edited:

fat80b

Hacker
Visit site
Sometimes for me.

We have a coiuple of different groups that have reserved times on BRS and anyone can sign up - some are more cliquey than others.

The main Swindle is Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday swindle at 10.30-11 am (first tee off) and everyone is welcome (including guests / new members without a h/c etc)

The swindle times are marked on BRS, you put yourself down in one of the slots (doesn't matter who with), and a draw is made for the groups 15 mins before the fisrt tee off time.

Typically 20-30 play, £2 in the pot, winner and second get half the pot (2/3 1/3), the best team split the other half of the pot . There is a spreadsheet of scores kept for a season long comp, and additional handicap penalty shots are given out if you win (and if you score > 40pts).

It's a great way to play with different folks.