Do you play in a swindle/roll up

Do you play in a swindle

• Total voters

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have cuts for the winners so it tends to spread the money around. Think we've had 28 winners in the Saturday roll up this year either first or second
Our Sunday roll up is £5 per man but the winner has to buy a drink for everyone and everyone must put a general play card in so handicaps are potentially adjusted for scores. No card no cash

Mandofred

Visit site
Yes. Best thing going for people joining a new club who don't know anybody. At my current club there are booked times for about an hour at 9am on Wed (for everybody) and 9am on Thur (Seniors...although anybody can play). We usually get mid 20's in numbers. Teams drawn right before starting and you play as a team, usually 2 of 4 to count. £2 or £3 depending on which one. Usually payout to the top 2 or 3 teams depending on the number of people. I don't like playing for money, so I'm glad they keep the amount low....winners don't get much but I like it that way since nobody takes it too seriously. If it was £5 or more to play I probably wouldn't play. There is another booked rollup on Sunday mornings early, sometimes I play sometimes I don't. It's a real small group so I don't know if they will be keeping the pre-booked routine.

The course is set up so that when the draws are made you don't have 6 groups or so standing around on the first tee....which was a problem with my first club. Two or three groups head over to 15+17 and the 1st tee is open by the time they come around. Everybody clears the first tee by the time the regular booked tee times start.

Springveldt

Visit site
I've said sometimes as I only play one day on the weekend and I'll play in the club comp if there is one on but if no comp then I'll play in the sweep that is run by a member (I'm assuming it's the same as a roll-up/swindle just under a different name). £2 for the sweep and £1 for closest to the pin on both par 3's. The member that runs it keeps it all in a book so you have a different handicap from your WHS index and you get raises/cuts in it based on your performance. Your handicap in the sweep ignores the slope etc and when I started I was given 3/4 of my index at the time as my starting handicap.

PaulMdj

Visit site
No, none in our Club, Comps every weekend sat & sun.
Seniors Roll up is now a comp since WHS.

Midweek golf is either Seniors Comp, Captains Card or social round with 2 mates.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Absolutely - every game at my club.

We have two swindles,

the bed wetters are out early and that’s £3 to enter (£1 each 9 and £1 overall) they go out at 7.15 every Saturday and Sunday. A group of 10-20

The second group play 50p in for best score and then 25p birdies. Again a group of about 10-15 depending on the day and they go out about an hour later. They also run a bar card where everyone slightly over pays for a drink and at the year end party, the card gets drunk dry.

Completely different characters, different levels of banter, always welcoming and already invited on several away trips.

Why wouldn’t you join in?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not usually, no. For a couple of reasons. One is not being bothered to faff about trying to find 2 or 3 quid every time - which I presume is the prior discussion you were referring to.

The main reason is that I usually play with two of my best mates, or one or the other of them. Given that I no longer go out for drinks on the weekends these days, I really look forward to the social time of spending a few hours with my good mate(s) on the golf course. If I was playing a roll-up there'd be a good chance I only bump into them fleetingly and maybe a quick drink afterwards but it's not the same as spending four hours in their company. I don't miss out on meeting other members as we still make the effort occasionally to enter some board comps (which are drawn), and I play in a few different match play knockouts so have met loads of people that way. And sometimes another member will join us on one of our casual rounds. If both my mates were unavailable on the day I was going to play I might join a roll-up, but generally that hasn't happened.

Or you could all get involved in the roll up?

To “me” it’s the difference in being a member of a course or a member of a club. I’ve met some great people one turned out the best man at my wedding.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or you could all get involved in the roll up?
What do you mean? The groups are random I think so we wouldn't be playing together.

One of my mates does in fact play the roll-ups on Saturdays since he plays twice each weekend and I can only play Saturday or Sunday. The other mate though only gets to play about 3 rounds per month at the moment, so like me, he likes to play with his mates.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What do you mean? The groups are random I think so we wouldn't be playing together.

One of my mates does in fact play the roll-ups on Saturdays since he plays twice each weekend and I can only play Saturday or Sunday. The other mate though only gets to play about 3 rounds per month at the moment, so like me, he likes to play with his mates.

Speak to the roll up organiser and ask at least one of your mates be paired in the same group.

Big boy pants!

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
used to be a thing until 2020 BC (Before Covid). Every saturday would have 3 or 4 different swindles go off using a ball chute.

Since then, it's been tee bookings, so no guarantee to be able to get people booked in, in consecutive slots....so it's all died a quick death

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Speak to the roll up organiser and ask at least one of your mates be paired in the same group.

Big boy pants!
I don't really think it's right to charge into a roll-up and start telling them how to do their groups. And if I get to play with my mates either way, what difference does it make if I'm in the roll-up or not? :unsure: It's not some right of passage, it's just a simple choice of who you want to play with that day.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
used to be a thing until 2020 BC (Before Covid). Every saturday would have 3 or 4 different swindles go off using a ball chute.

Since then, it's been tee bookings, so no guarantee to be able to get people booked in, in consecutive slots....so it's all died a quick death

I think it was similar at ours post covid, lasted about 3 months in told before the groups were up in arms and reverted back.

RichA

Visit site
That’s pretty much a roll up/swindle etc - if you have dozen or so people that play together then it’s just a small roll up that you sort between yourselves
My understanding of a roll up is that people just roll up not knowing at what time or with whom they will be playing.
My understanding of a swindle is that somebody is organising unofficial handicaps and there is money involved.
I also understand that these two formats of organisation often overlap. Neither of them describe what my crowd does.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't really think it's right to charge into a roll-up and start telling them how to do their groups. And if I get to play with my mates either way, what difference does it make if I'm in the roll-up or not? :unsure: It's not some right of passage, it's just a simple choice of who you want to play with that day.

It seems selective, if your mates aren’t playing do you roll up and expect to join? Some people only join swindles when their buddies aren’t playing and then complain “ oh it’s a bit clicky”.

All swindles that I have been involved with have had no issues making the draw work if asked nicely.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
My understanding of a roll up is that people just roll up not knowing at what time or with whom they will be playing.
My understanding of a swindle is that somebody is organising unofficial handicaps and there is money involved.
I also understand that these two formats of organisation often overlap. Neither of them describe what my crowd does.

It’s very flexible with different clubs

At mine for example -organiser ( for one it’s me ) - sends out availability for the weekend - once that’s all in I’ll do a draw and then give people their tee times they book

If someone needs to go off early they can etc

That’s how it works in all the swindles I play in

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It seems selective, if your mates aren’t playing do you roll up and expect to join? Some people only join swindles when their buddies aren’t playing and then complain “ oh it’s a bit clicky”.

All swindles that I have been involved with have had no issues making the draw work if asked nicely.
They're a good bunch of guys, I'm sure they would let me play if I turned up with the requisite amount of coins one day. I would not have any cause to complain about them or call them clicky/cliquey. But if my mates are down I'm happy playing with them. Not really an issue.

3 jabber

Visit site
I think we need a new thread to sort out the differences between a swindle, a rollup, a fiddle and any other term people come up with. I thought all of them were just a bunch of people that meet in the bar, pull names out of a hat and chuck in a couple of quid. It appears not!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They're a good bunch of guys, I'm sure they would let me play if I turned up with the requisite amount of coins one day. I would not have any cause to complain about them or call them clicky/cliquey. But if my mates are down I'm happy playing with them. Not really an issue.

Fair. Different strokes for different folks I guess.