Can you still have fun, playing with a ‘card in your hand’?

Can you have fun with a ‘card in your hand’?

• Yes - of course I can, I am a well adjusted human being

Votes: 58 93.5%
  • No - I take myself and my golf seriously as my handicap defines me as a person!

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
There has been a lot of discussion about fun golf, serious golf, competition golf and so on.

I was just wondering what the split is between people who just go play and enjoy themselves regardless of whether it’s a comp or not, and those who think playing in a comp means they have to take things seriously.

And what does taking it seriously actually mean compared to having fun?

Please don’t take the choices too seriously, just trying to inject a bit of humour.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fun, yeah of course. Golf is fun or we wouldn't bother. I wouldn't say playing in a competition or something isn't fun. But it is a slightly different level of pressure and freedom that's all. Different mindset. I wouldn't want to do all of one and none of the other, either way round - if that makes sense. Good to mix it up.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Absolutely. I mean for a start is there anything more fun than walking back into the clubhouse having shot your lowest ever gross score in a comp?

But

I also really enjoy golf when the odd rule is ignored (like gimmies - not the big ones)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Of course. I love the challenge of trying to shoot the best score I can on the day and having a card and pencil in the pocket just keeps the mind focused. If it's a casual round I'm more than happy to take the risky shot on but trying to make a score means choosing the right shot at the right time and not compounding any mistake. For me a conservative approach usually pays the better dividends

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play my best golf when I am totally relaxed and having fun.

Having a card in my hand does not stop me from having a laugh and a joke whilst taking every shot seriously and playing it to the best of my ability.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes of course you can
I would say though if I’m in a comp and it’s a qualifier I’m definitely more motivated as I’m more serious,especially now I’m trying to reduce my handicap.
Sundays is fun day,will generally enter comp but hitting a shot then plenty of banter and ribbing during the round,100% the most enjoyable round of the week.
I think playing with a card in my hand for handicap every round would probably suck the fun out of my golf.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Individual comps are often easier than than lots of social rounds
Comps I've got a handicap to reduce my gross score or stableford points to ease the blowup hole

A lot of the social golf is just gross score, no hiding place

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Just been sitting though a webinar about the 2024 changes. A fine mix of sensible and comical.

The trend is that a card goes in for everything. If you don't play all the holes, we'll make something up for the others! 😉

Folk will either migrate to that way of thinking, or carry on as they are. The only folk who'll get upset about it are folk on forums like this.

If you don't recognise the scenario in #11, that's why you can't accept the points made in other threads.

Heck, we even saw it on tour last Sunday, where a player deliberately took the easy route rather than the mad shot.

Course you can have lots of fun filling in a card.

I'm about to start a game of Tiger Woods golf on my tablet. I'm really struggling to pre register it on the Wales Golf App. Any ideas??😉

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to play the same in comps and in friendly rounds. Golf is meant to be fun and so the simply fact that I am in a comp does not mean I am suddenly going to start laying up every time or playing percentage golf. I just played how I felt like playing and that could go well or badly. I still chat and joke with who I am with, I am not suddenly going to go all hushed and serious as if it were the closing stretch of the open.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm about to start a game of Tiger Woods golf on my tablet. I'm really struggling to pre register it on the Wales Golf App. Any ideas??😉
Maybe forget about it this time or you could just pretend you were playing matchplay, but in future it's probably a good idea to let the handicap secretary know in advance.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking at this now nobody has voted for option 2.

I play with one guy who would have gone for that option and he is just as serious when it is just a social game.