Played With A Masters Runner Up

• Thread starter Deleted member 21445
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21445

Last weekend I attempted to qualify for The Senior British Open and it turned out to be quite the weekend for various reasons.

Its been over 30 years since I last played in an event of this magnitude so I knew I was throwing myself in at the deep end.
While playing my practice round the day before the draw came through and I realised I had been paired with former PGA European Tour rookie of the year Scott Henderson and Len Mattiace who lost in a play off for the Masters to Mike Weir in 2003.

At 1st glance this felt like it was going to be an amazing experience but in reality it was incredibly intimidating and I just never settled down during the whole round.

I felt ok warming up before hand but as they introduced themselves on the 1st tee and recognised them I became overcome by a feeling of imposter syndrome and the nerves ramped up massively and they never really went away which has never happened to me before.
Thankfully they both shot -2 and qualified, they were both very nice to play with although at times I felt terrible about the way I was playing.

Golf is very much a part time hobby these days and that came to the forefront because unlike when I was younger and playing a lot of high competition golf I had no plan B to fall back on when things started to go wrong.

Moral is that golf is a brutal game when you lose all sense of where your swing is regardless of your handicap.

I posted 2 videos from the weekend where ive tried to be brutally honest about the whole experience.
No Regrets though as had a great weekend with my brother who is a pro caddie and lives in the USA, so to spend some quality time with him was wonderful.

Practice Round -
Qualifying Day -

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Glad you enjoyed Rosemount. I played on Saturday morning just before the course was closed for the practice rounds, and again today and I agree the greenkeepers have got the courses in fantastic condition. I'm looking forward to watching the Seniors at The Kings Course over the next few days.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Glad you enjoyed Rosemount. I played on Saturday morning just before the course was closed for the practice rounds, and again today and I agree the greenkeepers have got the courses in fantastic condition. I'm looking forward to watching the Seniors at The Kings Course over the next few days.

My mate is a Gleneagles member. He says the Kings is in amazing condition and that the greens are rapid.

D

Deleted member 21445

Honestly thought the whole facility was stunning and loved the Rosemount course..
Plan to come back again at some point to play both courses ?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fair play lad. Glad you enjoyed it and I enjoyed the videos. The music was a bit loud and unnecessary if you ever do them again. Other than that well done for giving it a go. You put your backside on the line and can only commend you for you're effort.

4LEX

Visit site
Golf is a game of various experiences; most good but some bad ones. We've all had them! Fair play for having the bottle to give it a crack. You'll look back on it and laugh in a few months.

D

Deleted member 21445

Fair play lad. Glad you enjoyed it and I enjoyed the videos. The music was a bit loud and unnecessary if you ever do them again. Other than that well done for giving it a go. You put your backside on the line and can only commend you for you're effort.

Cheers ?
Last video had to be edited in the car on the way home on my phone so limited editing tools available but note taken..

D

Deleted member 21445

Golf is a game of various experiences; most good but some bad ones. We've all had them! Fair play for having the bottle to give it a crack. You'll look back on it and laugh in a few months.

None of this was devasting news just very disappointing on the day..
The medal on Saturday is going to feel a breeze ????

AliMc

Visit site
A Dunbar (and Haddington) member qualified for the Senior Open when it was last played at Muirfield, I think he shot something like 71, 69 at Dunbar to get it, it was really tough conditions and he missed the cut and iirc finished last but said it was an absolutely fantastic experience

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It is called the Senior British Open, unfortunately. Even on the R&A website.

Good for Big Draw for taking part. That is the open part of the event, and good videos. Plenty of great golfers have shot high numbers in these things.

Just seen this, Screenshot_20220721-155654_Chrome.jpg

D

Deleted member 21445

A Dunbar (and Haddington) member qualified for the Senior Open when it was last played at Muirfield, I think he shot something like 71, 69 at Dunbar to get it, it was really tough conditions and he missed the cut and iirc finished last but said it was an absolutely fantastic experience

Yes although it went very wrong on the day, sat here now 5 days later looking back it was a great experience.
If my handicap is still SCR or better I MAY have another crack next year depending on timing and venue.

I think my annual work event in Europe will always be the week before which isn't ideal.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Len Mattiace losing to Mike Weir in a Masters play off! Good odds on that at the start of that week I bet.

Crazy good pro golf.