How old are your clubs?

D

Deleted member 1147

What comes next? A correlation between handicap and average club age?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I usually count the age of my clubs in weeks.

I think the oldest thing in the bag (club I've had the longest) is the 56* wedge which was a birthday from my wife last December.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I took up golf in lockdown and was so hooked I ended up getting irons, putter and wedges for my 30th in 2021.

I have a few older hybrids that are from 2017ish and my Epic Flash driver is 2019 I think but they're the oldest in my bag.

Did actually buy a 2022 rogue ls driver last year but preferred the Epic so kept that and moved the Rogue on.

I do also own a set of 90s blades and / early 00's woods for when I really want to punish myself. Love the irons but don't get on with the woods at all!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Not playing.

Yours was the reply I was waiting for!!

For me, driver and 3-wood purchased this year, irons a couple of years ago and wedges the year before that. Only my putter is getting old at about ten or eleven years.

My golf balls rarely make it beyond a few days 🙄

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
While we dont all have the cash to upgrade every single year, with all the tech being added to improve club performance, you dont want to be leaving distance and forgiveness on the table if you can avoid it.

Probably every two years is the sweet spot. For your full setup.

And arguably every 6 months for putters given the innovations there that are making the latest models like a cheat code. Ditto for drivers, but changing driver mid season can be chancy. I prefer to leave my main rig stable from June to August at least.

Golf is a game of distance, as we have established, and if you arent upgrading at the rate the manufcturers are offering it to you, then your 2 and 3 year old gear is going backwards.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Golf is a game of distance, as we have established, and if you arent upgrading at the rate the manufcturers are offering it to you, then your 2 and 3 year old gear is going backwards.
But one's handicap will adjust accordingly, so why bother?

It usually takes me about 10 years to fully adapt to new clubs. Then a further 5 years of peak performance with them.
My newest clubs are a 15 year old set of irons bought brand new in 2008. I've had a really good last 5 years with them. Club champion 2019 and runner up this year.

Of course, I'm being facetious or tongue-in-cheek.
All my success is down to putting.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

While we dont all have the cash to upgrade every single year, with all the tech being added to improve club performance, you dont want to be leaving distance and forgiveness on the table if you can avoid it.

Probably every two years is the sweet spot. For your full setup.

And arguably every 6 months for putters given the innovations there that are making the latest models like a cheat code. Ditto for drivers, but changing driver mid season can be chancy. I prefer to leave my main rig stable from June to August at least.

Cobblers

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Taylormade Aeroburner irons and Callaway XR16 driver, woods and hybrid. Think all were released 7 years ago.

Have tried various drivers over the years and can’t find one that I hit any better than my XR16

I am thinking of giving the Paradym a go if prices drop once the new gear is released

Klimski

Visit site
Enjoying the responses. And I am actually quite suprised that my bag full of old (but well kept) clubs seems to be an outlier! I was recently thinking about upgrading my irons and only then found out that the set is almost 20 years old. Being Mizuno's they look 2-3 years old, and I regripped them end of last season so they'll be staying for a while longer. I have promised myself that I'll be trying out new gear next season to experience the difference.