How old are your clubs?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Enjoying the responses. And I am actually quite suprised that my bag full of old (but well kept) clubs seems to be an outlier! I was recently thinking about upgrading my irons and only then found out that the set is almost 20 years old. Being Mizuno's they look 2-3 years old, and I regripped them end of last season so they'll be staying for a while longer. I have promised myself that I'll be trying out new gear next season to experience the difference.

My plan when I upgraded my irons in 2016 was to treat myself in 2027 when I'm 40

The irons from from 2016 are in great condition it would seem stupid to get rid of them

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
bit of a mixed bag for me. My driver is 11 years old, 3 wood is 10, putter is 15 at least, irons are new ish 4, my sand wedge is probably the newest thats only 2 years old

RichA

Visit site
Enjoying the responses. And I am actually quite suprised that my bag full of old (but well kept) clubs seems to be an outlier! I was recently thinking about upgrading my irons and only then found out that the set is almost 20 years old. Being Mizuno's they look 2-3 years old, and I regripped them end of last season so they'll be staying for a while longer. I have promised myself that I'll be trying out new gear next season to experience the difference.
I bought my 20-year old Mizuno MP-60 irons on eBay in early 2022.
I've enjoyed playing with them but the mid-long irons were beyond my skill set.
When I saw 7-GW JPX921 Tour brand new in my spec for a silly price on GC4C I took the plunge and bought new JPX923HL 5 and 6 irons to make a mixed set.
The Tour are pretty much identical to the MP-60s and the HL are weakly lofted for GI irons. So far it's been my ideal set up. There are plenty of nice new clubs out there if you're looking to freshen up.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Complete and utter tosh that anyone needs to change their clubs every five years. With such rubbish being printed in a quite widely read golf magazine its no wonder that our game has a reputation as being one for the wealthy. Anyway - that little rant over…

Other than my ten yr old Odyssey White Hot Pro #2 putter all of my clubs (Ping i210 irons and G425 woods) are just over two yrs old (bought 2021). My previous set (John Letters F7s) were bought in 2006, the set before that (Wilson Staff Fluid Feel irons and Macgregor Eye-o-matic persimmons) bought in 1985. I do not expect to change any of my clubs for at least ten years.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Complete and utter tosh that anyone needs to change their clubs every five years. With such rubbish being printed in a quite widely read golf magazine its no wonder that our game has a reputation as being one for the wealthy. Anyway - that little rant over…

Other than my ten yr old Odyssey putter all of my clubs (Ping i210 irons and 425 woods) are just over two yrs old (bought 2021). My previous set (John Letters F7s) were bought in 2006, the set before that (Wilson Staff Fluid Feel irons and Macgregor Eye-o-matic persimmons) bought in 1985.

Well we don't need to play golf at all. But if you're gonna then there's things you will need and there's things you want. Golf Mags are paid by their sponsors to promote their new gear. Same as MFI telling you to buy a new kitchen. It's just an advert

(by the way, you don't need to buy those golf magazines you're reading) :p

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Well we don't need to play golf at all. But if you're gonna then there's things you will need and there's things you want. Golf Mags are paid by their sponsors to promote their new gear.

Reading old golf magazines from 40, 50 or 60 years ago that's something you really notice.

Adverts from manufacturers were much fewer and less prominent and actual golf articles dominated.

I wonder if that's had any bearing on the drop in reader numbers in recent years?

D

Deleted member 1147

Reading old golf magazines from 40, 50 or 60 years ago that's something you really notice.

Adverts from manufacturers were much fewer and less prominent and actual golf articles dominated.

I wonder if that's had any bearing on the drop in reader numbers in recent years?
My issue with golf mags is that form one month to the next there's barely any difference, save for a bit about the last & next major event.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I've only had 4 brand new sets of irons

1973 - Dunlop Blue Flash junior size 3, 5, 7, 9.
1977 - Dunlop Maxfli International 2-SW
1992 - Ram Laser Fx forged 1-SW
2008 - Ping G10 3&4 iron and Ping i10 5-GW (GW of 52° similar to PW of 1977)

1975-77 I played with my dad's 1969 Slazenger Ambassador set.

Last edited:

simsini

Visit site
M5 driver (2019) - Soon to be replaced next week with a Stealth 2
Burner Superfast 2.0 3 wood (2011)
Stealth 2 3 Hybrid (2023)
Sim 2 Irons 5 - SW (2021)
RAC Chrome 58 (2002)
Cobra Supernova Putter (2022)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

C’mon Chris, you don’t have a rain hood on your bag you have a revolving door. Although, to be fair, you don’t seem to have changed for a while.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

I haven't changed my irons since 2020 (p790's) but I did grab a secondhand set of Stealth irons with graphite shafts as I thought they'd be easy to use in winter, so far I haven't used them.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I had to look all this up, and think about it a bit.
  • Driver: 2016 (Callaway XR16)
  • Fairway wood: 2013 (Cleveland Classic)
  • Hybrid: 2013 (Cleveland Classic)
  • Irons: 2015 (Callaway XR)
  • Wedges: 2016-2018 (Cleveland & Titleist)
  • Putter: 2008 (Rife Hybrid Mallet)
  • Bag: 2017: (Titleist StaDry)
  • Trolley: 2011/12 (GoKart)
I've looked at replacing them but can't give a logical reason why I would want to.

JayB

Visit site
Driver, hybrids, irons and wedges were purchased early 2022, putter at the start of 2023.

These will last until my boy stops growing as I seem to be buying him a full set every year.

RedEyes

Visit site
Bought new irons in September and the difference between them and my 17 year old previous set is unreal!
New driver and wedges next.

Driver 2019
3 Wood 2009
Irons 2023
Wedges 2011
Putter 2023

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Irons 2017
Driver 2018
Fairways 2018
Hybrids 2018
Wedges 2018
Putter 2014

Fairly consistent 2018 gear.
Will probably bite the bullet and order the i525/230 combo set early next year though.

If I hadn’t spent a rather large amount on a new flatbed CNC for the workshop I probably would already have them.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I had to look all this up, and think about it a bit.
  • Driver: 2016 (Callaway XR16)
  • Fairway wood: 2013 (Cleveland Classic)
  • Hybrid: 2013 (Cleveland Classic)
  • Irons: 2015 (Callaway XR)
  • Wedges: 2016-2018 (Cleveland & Titleist)
  • Putter: 2008 (Rife Hybrid Mallet)
  • Bag: 2017: (Titleist StaDry)
  • Trolley: 2011/12 (GoKart)
I've looked at replacing them but can't give a logical reason why I would want to.
Ah, if we are mentioning bags as well.
Not sure how old mine is, but I bought it earlier this year. Been out on the course with it twice.
Feels pretty new, however.

Lynx Bag.jpg

Callaway carry bag made it through its 14th winter, but is simply a storage facility now.

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
Irons 2016
Driver 2017
Woods 2017-2018
Wedges 2018
Putter 2019

I used to try and upgrade something every year in rotation, so i guess irons are next but i've been pretty happy with my set for a while, so i'm not in any rush.

RichA

Visit site
Ah, if we are mentioning bags as well.
Not sure how old mine is, but I bought it earlier this year. Been out on the course with it twice.
Feels pretty new, however.

View attachment 51054

Callaway carry bag made it through its 14th winter, but is simply a storage facility now.
If you're saying that you're no longer using that Orvis bag...