How old are your clubs?

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I've never owned a new golf club, everything is second-hand so it's hard to know how old it all is. I've had to look all this up on that there interwebs. I hope the OP appreciates my dedication to answering the question!
- Driver and FW woods: 2015
- Irons: 2015
- Wedges: 2012
- Putter: no idea, it's an Odyssey 2 Ball and they all look the same to me, I've owned it for at least five years.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
When I got my 2015 Cobra irons brand new at the start of 2017 I thought they might be the last ones I'd need to buy, but 6 years later when the steel shafts starting breaking it gave me the perfect excuse to get a new set of Mizuno's 2 months ago

Weirdly though the cobra King irons from 95 are still in great condition and don't even need the grips changed yet

Just not built to last these days

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
My irons are 3 weeks and the only new clubs I own.

The rest are all second hand ranging from (at a guess) 2 to 13 years old.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The oldest club in my bag is a Wilson Invex 7 wood from the early 1990s
The 2nd oldest is an unbranded (probably Bay Hill pro model) 52 wedge about 20 years old (although there have been others in at some time such as a Vokey SM4).

I was once told that if your iron shafts are over 8 years old then they should be checked for frequency matching particularly if you use one or 2 irons a lot more than the others e.g in range practice, to ensure the gapping between each iron. You might find that 2 irons fly the same distance.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I was once told that if your iron shafts are over 8 years old then they should be checked for frequency matching particularly if you use one or 2 irons a lot more than the others e.g in range practice, to ensure the gapping between each iron. You might find that 2 irons fly the same distance.

I regularly check my shafts, not for frequency matching but for rust penetration.

The last thing I want is for the shaft to fail as I'm ripping a 2 iron 275 yards into an upturned saucer green.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Replaced my putter after 10 years. New one was fitted and is awesome by comparison.

Replaced my driver this year after 6 years. There was a significant forgiveness change.

Replacing my wedges next year and should probably be buying new ones each year and my old one becoming practice wedges. Only because I play nearly 100 times a year.

Irons are 6 years old. Replaced longer ones with hybrids but can’t see me replacing the others until they’re at least 10 years old, if not longer.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Crossfield in his latest podcast this evening breaking the omertà of the equipment industry stating without being couched that there simply is no equipment development or improved models possible - the regulations prohibit it. If a model were developed that gave an advantage, it wouldnt pass the conformance testing, and wouldnt reach us at all. s
But still. Colourways. Swooshess. Sound. 'Tech' story.

Bo Golf

Visit site
Driver - 2015 (Taylormade R1)
Woods - 1997 Mizuno T-Zoid, Orlimar Trimetal)
Utility - 2020 (Titleist 818)
Irons - 1997 (Taylormade LCG)
Wedges - 2020 (Cleveland 588)
Putter - 1997

GPR

Visit site
Just about to purchase new irons. I have 2 sets of John letters clubs maybe 1 set about 25 old and other set 15 years old and my current clubs 10 years old mizunos. Driver 3 wood and 5 wood around 8 years old. Interesting I took the 7 iron from each of these sets of clubs and went to the golf range. I would say I hit all 3 sets of the 7 iron identically despite the different ages of the clubs and also very similar to new irons I tried recently but didn’t purchase. Maybe however newer clubs are more forgiving though can’t say I noticed. Is that surprising to anyone?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Just about to purchase new irons. I have 2 sets of John letters clubs maybe 1 set about 25 old and other set 15 years old and my current clubs 10 years old mizunos. Driver 3 wood and 5 wood around 8 years old. Interesting I took the 7 iron from each of these sets of clubs and went to the golf range. I would say I hit all 3 sets of the 7 iron identically despite the different ages of the clubs and also very similar to new irons I tried recently but didn’t purchase. Maybe however newer clubs are more forgiving though can’t say I noticed. Is that surprising to anyone?

Yes, the loft progression on the clubs should mean that you hit the newer irons lower and further, unless your swing speed is very low in which case the greater loft of the older irons may help your distance.

What model are the 25 year old clubs?

GPR

Visit site
Yes, the loft progression on the clubs should mean that you hit the newer irons lower and further, unless your swing speed is very low in which case the greater loft of the older irons may help your distance.

What model are the 25 year old clubs?
John letters is it mm2 ?and other John letters trilogy is it trilogy 2000. And other iron ere mizuno mp 60. I hit all the 7 irons about same height and distance. I am 70 yrs old and 17 handicap and not a fast swinger. Possibly buying some mizuno jpg forged 923 irons which maybe goes 10 yards further than my old irons on a fitting I had recently.All steel shafts and recent fitting didn’t show any benefit for me to use graphite shaft.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
John letters is it mm2 ?and other John letters trilogy is it trilogy 2000. And other iron ere mizuno mp 60. I hit all the 7 irons about same height and distance. I am 70 yrs old and 17 handicap and not a fast swinger. Possibly buying some mizuno jpg forged 923 irons which maybe goes 10 yards further than my old irons on a fitting I had recently.All steel shafts and recent fitting didn’t show any benefit for me to use graphite shaft.
I'm assuming the John Letters mm2 stand for Master Model 2.

Very interesting history of the John Letters Master Model irons on here