What level of fees increase would make you look to move clubs

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Joined earlier this year from Camberley Heath and seems to be in line with other clubs in the area. Bar levy is about £100 or £150 i think but doesn't last long for me. I'm not able to take up any of the age related discounts but they do them. However, I think the membership maybe closed now.
Can I ask out of interest if you looked at my own club, Royal Ascot? Cheaper than Sand Martins and in good condition and a great bunch of members. If not can I ask why so I can feed it back to my membership committee and see if we're doing something wrong

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My current course is 1500, would pay up to 2000 for it, so guess I am getting a good deal currently.

I am in the process of moving to Byfleet in Surrey soon, so have to start the process of finding a new club, lots of choice there but price will not be much of a factor.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can I ask out of interest if you looked at my own club, Royal Ascot? Cheaper than Sand Martins and in good condition and a great bunch of members. If not can I ask why so I can feed it back to my membership committee and see if we're doing something wrong

Hi - didn't look to be fair, living in Wokingham I wanted something closer to home and that was about the same distance from home as it is to Camberley Heath. So looked at SM, Bearwood Lakes, North Hants (too far in the end), Hartley Wintney (too far) Castle Royal and East Berks.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi - didn't look to be fair, living in Wokingham I wanted something closer to home and that was about the same distance from home as it is to Camberley Heath. So looked at SM, Bearwood Lakes, North Hants (too far in the end), Hartley Wintney (too far) Castle Royal and East Berks.

Thanks for the reply. Always welcome to come over for a game, see how long it takes (I live in Jennets Park so takes me 15-20 mins) and if you like the course and place

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Always welcome to come over for a game, see how long it takes (I live in Jennets Park so takes me 15-20 mins) and if you like the course and place

Thanks for the offer, perhaps we can sort a game out when the weather gets better?
I have played it before and enjoyed it and loved the old course inside the racecourse.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would think that an increase of £150.00 plus a year would have me going nomad. I enjoy being back at Belton Park, I enjoy the golf but I do not get to play enough. On that basis, if the fees got near to £1000.00 a year I would not be able to see it as value for money and would probably end up paying and playing when I felt like it.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
My current course is 1500, would pay up to 2000 for it, so guess I am getting a good deal currently.

I am in the process of moving to Byfleet in Surrey soon, so have to start the process of finding a new club, lots of choice there but price will not be much of a factor.

Great choice round there. The decent tracks still have joining fees, so may depend on if you're planning to settle there permanently. 3 Ws being the best if you can 'get in' and afford it. Burhill in the other direction a good option too.

Happy to offer a game a West Byfleet once you've moved which will likely be your closest

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great choice round there. The decent tracks still have joining fees, so may depend on if you're planning to settle there permanently. 3 Ws being the best if you can 'get in' and afford it. Burhill in the other direction a good option too.

Happy to offer a game a West Byfleet once you've moved which will likely be your closest

Thanks, that is definitely the front runner at the moment. Mostly about the social aspect, love to find a good swindle on a Saturday and maybe on a weekday too. Great bunch of lads at my current club always pity to leave and go into the unknown.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Thanks, that is definitely the front runner at the moment. Mostly about the social aspect, love to find a good swindle on a Saturday and maybe on a weekday too. Great bunch of lads at my current club always pity to leave and go into the unknown.

Roll ups on everyday including a large Saturday one. The club is extremely social and its easy to get a game. Just PM me if you want more info or a game when you've moved down.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I have been thinking about leaving for a bit now. I pay two full memberships and a junior membership, so with increases in all three likely (have had every year for the last 10), the additional fees will be threefold for me. our club doesn't do anything for familiy membership, which is a shame. I've had a look around to move, but there is only one club in the vicinity that I would consider, and that is more than double the price, and has a ridiculous joining fee that puts it out of the running instantly.

I went to another local club the other week that offers family membership (saving me almost £1000), but it just was not in the same condition, and doesn't stand up to what we've got. I play a lot of golf (well, I hack around a lot these days), two days at the weekends, and two additional evenings when they are light enough, so even with the increases expected, it is still value for money on our part. So unless they hike it more than £50 a person, I'll probably stay as is.

So got our AGM pack the other day, and full membership is going up from £990 - £1040 (before adding EGU and other miscellaneous subscriptions). Right on the peak of the level I set. I've been looking around at all the options available. Have two public courses within 5 minutes of home, both offer very cheap membership by comparison, but one is very poor and I'm put off by having to book tee times at the other - one of the benefits of LBGC is being able to rock up when I want to (outside scheduled comps), it doesn't matter if I'm a bit later than expected etc. can usually get straight out without too much of an issue.

Had a look at all the other private member clubs in the surrounding area, they are all already more expensive than Leighton, so nothing saved there.

Our course condition is not so good right now, we were hurt badly in the summer with the lack of rain. The course fairways have not recovered well at the moment on a few of the holes, and we h\ave been asked to play off mats through the winter, although the greens are still good. I'm not sure how well they will recover at all though. the one public course (Abbey Hill) looks in much better condition fairway wise, but the greens are a lot slower to cater for the wider number of beginners playing a public course. I can save a considerable sum moving to Abbey - almost two for the price of one, not to mention being about 15 minutes closer to home, but somehow, I don't think it will live up to playing at Leighton 4 times a week. A tough choice to make in the coming week or so.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having this prob myself .
My course seems to be going backwards .
4 1/2 hour rounds in comps.
Linings in bunkers doing my head in.
Tees need major attention.
And it’s costing me £1400.

My old club where all my mates have gone back to this year is £400 cheaper but not as good a test but in great condition.
I can get there in half the time, and on my bike!
It’s not the best in winter gets wet.

I am going to do a pros and cons list to see where I will be next year.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
So got our AGM pack the other day, and full membership is going up from £990 - £1040 (before adding EGU and other miscellaneous subscriptions). Right on the peak of the level I set. I've been looking around at all the options available. Have two public courses within 5 minutes of home, both offer very cheap membership by comparison, but one is very poor and I'm put off by having to book tee times at the other - one of the benefits of LBGC is being able to rock up when I want to (outside scheduled comps), it doesn't matter if I'm a bit later than expected etc. can usually get straight out without too much of an issue.

Had a look at all the other private member clubs in the surrounding area, they are all already more expensive than Leighton, so nothing saved there.

Our course condition is not so good right now, we were hurt badly in the summer with the lack of rain. The course fairways have not recovered well at the moment on a few of the holes, and we h\ave been asked to play off mats through the winter, although the greens are still good. I'm not sure how well they will recover at all though. the one public course (Abbey Hill) looks in much better condition fairway wise, but the greens are a lot slower to cater for the wider number of beginners playing a public course. I can save a considerable sum moving to Abbey - almost two for the price of one, not to mention being about 15 minutes closer to home, but somehow, I don't think it will live up to playing at Leighton 4 times a week. A tough choice to make in the coming week or so.

Surely if you are playing 4 times a week you are getting tremendous value from your membership ?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Surely if you are playing 4 times a week you are getting tremendous value from your membership ?

That I do,as I put in my original post. I'm not quibbling the benefit I get, but when you are paying for three memberships, that sort of rise on top of what I pay still hurts. Like annual rises on any bills (car insurance, Gas, electric etc.) I have to do do due diligence for myself in order to justify the increase. The course more local can save me half of what I'm paying, and is currently in better condition generally, it has to be a consideration.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
That I do,as I put in my original post. I'm not quibbling the benefit I get, but when you are paying for three memberships, that sort of rise on top of what I pay still hurts. Like annual rises on any bills (car insurance, Gas, electric etc.) I have to do do due diligence for myself in order to justify the increase. The course more local can save me half of what I'm paying, and is currently in better condition generally, it has to be a consideration.

You have to be happy too.

Sometimes there is benefits of paying that wee bit extra.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think a lot of courses got hit badly by the heatwave. Even the likes of West Hill hadn't escaped unscathed. It could take a couple of years of normal rain/summer sun and a lot of work by green staff to get the fairways back but I think it's grossly unfair and short sighted to blame clubs and moan about the conditions that nothing other than fairway watering (and the money and ability to use it) could prevent.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think a lot of courses got hit badly by the heatwave. Even the likes of West Hill hadn't escaped unscathed. It could take a couple of years of normal rain/summer sun and a lot of work by green staff to get the fairways back but I think it's grossly unfair and short sighted to blame clubs and moan about the conditions that nothing other than fairway watering (and the money and ability to use it) could prevent.

Agree. And clubs may be able to try harder to get more water to problem areas if we were to get these sorts of spells every year.

D

Deleted member 17920

Agree. And clubs may be able to try harder to get more water to problem areas if we were to get these sorts of spells every year.
Think you are right, this summer was a freak summer like we haven’t had for over 20 years, if it’s a regular thing then clubs will have to look long term.

I know we got through the summer well but I seriously wouldn’t be leaving a club just because the course wasn’t in great condition this year.

If it continued to be crap then fully understand leaving.