What level of fees increase would make you look to move clubs

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
Definitely, the general consensus seems that forumers are more in favour of as cheap as possible membership. I definitely think it's just being responsible to do this though
I think the same, i said this in the other thread that started this one.
'Keynesian economics! They should be making a profit and investing some but also saving for major investment, repairs or tough economic times. IME most are like Gordon Brown and splash the extra cash like a chav with a new credit card.'
That splash the cash was meaning keeping membership fees as low as possible but that leads to people leaving. No investment, more members and minimal maintenance won't keep people happy, then as this thread shows if they're hit with a small increase some are off.
There's no downside for me in running a surplus unless you're thinking about leaving. Improve the facilities, maintain the course, they'd even be in a position to reduce/subsidise existing members fees if we hit tough economic times and they expected a number may be forced leave.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our fees are pretty much in line with clubs of similar 'quality' in the area.

I suspect that if we raise our too much we would lose a few members to other clubs but I think other clubs would start to think " if Yeovil can get away with that sort of membership why don't we raise ours".

There other clubs that are cheaper but round here you gets what you pay for.

I currently pay just over £1000 all in I might give it a second thought if that reaches £2000 but given the amount I play even £2k is good value.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
All depends what the increase is for.

But a question back at those that would move on if they felt an increase was excessive.

If your best golfing buddy at your club came to you tomorrow and asked you if you fancied a game at xxxx down the road, and the green fee for the day was £80, would you say yes?

I'm amazed at how many would jump ship but, I would guess, they would be happy to pay £80 for one round of golf. That's not £80 for as many extra games of golf at your current gaff where all your mates play, its one round of golf elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 15717

Kinda stuck into a situation where I think I could handle a £100/£200 increase. Any more and I would either have to reduce expectations of a course, or become a nomad...which I don't think would happen.

There is nothing within 30 miles that I would rather play as the course drains ridiculously well, and the layout is great. I would have to travel a good hour to find somewhere to play, and I would not find that sustainable

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Definitely very much area dependent. Fees seem to vary massively from area to area - which seems very strange as the cost to run a club must not be all that different from county to county, albeit appreciate staffing costs may be a bit higher in certain places.

I am amazed at the fees in and around Glasgow compared with other areas of Scotland and Northern England.

Pretty much £900 to £1,100 range with very few options below that for an 18 hole course. While there are a few that still have joining fees, I get the impression that there isn't exactly a waiting list at most places, if any and in fact most will waive joining fees or offer a deal on them at certain times of the year.

Ideally you want to play a course that is enjoyable and the other members are similar ages and backgrounds as yourself, and some kind of practice facility is important as well.

My place is £1,025 to play one of the best courses in the area. There are others a few quid cheaper, but most are advertising joining fees and probably don't have as nice a course (albeit I appreciate this is subjective).

I am a new member at my place and looking forward to next season and getting to know more people so, in my mind I have committed to the medium term to stay where I am and try and enjoy my golf as much as possible.

I guess as time goes on and I get to know more people I am much much less likely to change clubs, unless there was a huge disparity of fees and I couldn't justify the cost any more.

Wolf

Visit site
For me there's not an amount where I'd say that's it I'm off somewhere else, the increase whether it's £40,£50 or £100 isn't the deciding factor, the economics for me is it'd be time to consider when the financial outlay for my membership has a knock effect to my home finances situation. So if it went up by £150 but had no impact on home finances and kids not being affected I'd pay it if I'm happy at the club with pals.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Having implied that the costs will probably go up in the next renewal and that I'm happy with the increase as the course is in good condition, the amount required to consider moving is a long way off. However there is a potential fly in the ointment. Having seen the account at the AGM, we have £1m turnover and cleared a miserly £9k profit. Granted there has been investment in renewing plant machinery, a new water pump, and repaying outstanding loans and we lost the £56k Red Bul air race income I still think it's a worrying amount. I've asked the committee for further information over and above what we were told at the AGM on what plans they have to change this for 2019. If it can't make a substantial increase in profit I worry how viable it could be in a few years time when the next lot of debts are due, the bond issues mature etc

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Clearly there's some really cheap memberships available but looks like its mainly due to location. My subs are £2150 but being in the Thames Valley that's what you're going to have to pay.
I certainly wouldn't think of moving for an increase of £50. Costs to the clubs continue to rise, just look at the price of petrol so they will need to pass that on to the members. I think most clubs would think carefully about much of an increase but if it's due to investment in the course or club house then it could be justified. For me it's more about other factors like condition of the course, facilities and clubhouse etc so if the costs increased considerably, say a 10% or £200 increase and the quality dropped I'd consider moving.
Can I ask which course you are at?

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Very happy at my current club, and not a great fan of the other local clubs. So it would take a lot for me to move, as long as I could afford it, and the increase was justified I would just have to suck it up

Our current Treasurer is one hell of a guy so couldn't see that happening ;)

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I live on the Surrey / Kent border.
All the reasonable courses are £1500+ and the better ones around £2k a year plus joining fee.

If my subs go up £100 next year, I would look at it as £2 a week - in the scheme of things its nothing. Not even a Starbucks one morning.

I love the club, its a beautiful place to play golf and I have made some amazing friends, no way would I risk that by moving elsewhere.

Without wishing to appear rude or not be understanding of others situations, but if you would really consider moving clubs over a £1 or £2 a week increase I would question if you are really at the right club now.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I live on the Surrey / Kent border.
All the reasonable courses are £1500+ and the better ones around £2k a year plus joining fee.

If my subs go up £100 next year, I would look at it as £2 a week - in the scheme of things its nothing. Not even a Starbucks one morning.

I love the club, its a beautiful place to play golf and I have made some amazing friends, no way would I risk that by moving elsewhere.

Without wishing to appear rude or not be understanding of others situations, but if you would really consider moving clubs over a £1 or £2 a week increase I would question if you are really at the right club now.
I would happily pay an extra £2 a week to stare at Chris's 'assets' :devilish:

D

Deleted member 21258

but if you would really consider moving clubs over a £1 or £2 a week increase I would question if you are really at the right club now.

I think a lot depends on how much you are currently paying or what similar locals clubs are charging. As an example my main club was £675 I think last year, so an increase of £100 would be a 14.8% increase and would also increase it above other local clubs.

I really enjoy my home club, good layout, variety of holes, friendly, quiet. Would hate to move from the club but there comes a point when you would have to consider moving due to cost.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Recent report in Scotland states that 18 courses closed with a loss of 5000 club golfers last year.
As many golfers in Scotland are members of more than one club I often wonder how they ever make any sense of club golfer numbers.
eg . My daughters friend is a member of four clubs.

Supply and demand levelling out as predicted years ago.
Mind you looking at the way some of the clubs I know and Scottish Golf is run I am surprised it is not more.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wowser. That has gone up since I last looked. How much is the mandatory bar/food tab on the card these days? How old are you and do they still offer age related discounts?

Joined earlier this year from Camberley Heath and seems to be in line with other clubs in the area. Bar levy is about £100 or £150 i think but doesn't last long for me. I'm not able to take up any of the age related discounts but they do them. However, I think the membership maybe closed now.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My club is having discussions with members on annual subs as we really need a recruitment of new members. I said that every member has a tipping point where they would leave if the subs reached a certain level that they couldnt/wouldn't be prepared to pay and if, say, 20 7 day members left it has to be remembered that the first 20 new members are only replacing the leavers.
He agreed and added that because clubs pro rata the fees and the new members may join later in the year as well as have discounted membership due to age etc when we lost 60 members over a couple of years, costing over £60k, we only bought in half of that with the replacements in their 1st year- so, the moral as far as I'm concerned is to peg fees as reasonable as possible to keep those members you already have.