What level of fees increase would make you look to move clubs

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very true, I dont envy the people who have to make these decisions at the golf clubs. I understand that more money is required each year to keep on top of the course etc etc - its a fine balancing act. The prospect of 20 members leaving wouldn't bear thinking about for me.

However, if the club made it known that there was a plan for this extra money like bunker regeneration or to improve drainage and the members can see where its going, members would be more likely to accept it.
It's a good point. Clubs need to raise revenue and there are legitimate reasons why subs go up. However if that leads to a trickle leaving, it has to be careful that doesn't become a flood. It also has to be proactive and have contingencies in place to allow for members walking and how to plug the gap. It's not an easy balancing act

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our membership year starts beginning of April. I'm going to be away all of April and May and first two weeks of June so only 9.5 months golf next membership year. I'll ask if I can have my subs reduced pro rata - but I will understand if they say no and - assuming that what I know about what the future holds continues to hold - it won't make me quit my membership to look elsewhere. 2019-20 golf at £175/month will be quite expensive golf- but my membership of my club is important to me.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Just binned one of my clubs. Decided that I couldn't justify the added expense and outgoing. What I hope to do is enter a few more open competitions next season instead of having a second membership.

Will be interesting to see what Dundonald do this year as there are a few changes/ideas in the pipeline that are being branded about, will be interesting to see if these come to fruition or fizzle out. Those I'm guessing will have quite an impact on the fees.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just binned one of my clubs. Decided that I couldn't justify the added expense and outgoing. What I hope to do is enter a few more open competitions next season instead of having a second membership.

I'm doing the same and binning my country membership. I can't justify the outlay given the amount of times i've played this year. Even more so when my home club has been in superb nick.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm doing the same and binning my country membership. I can't justify the outlay.

It was the cost of travel, food, occasional overnight accommodation and entry fees that finally made me decide not to renew this year. Things like that I didn't "properly" factor into the second membership.

Will i miss it? Who knows.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I binned my country membership at my 2nd club a year ago. I could afford it but I just wasn't using it enough, in fact I think it would have been cheaper to pay a visitor green fee each time I went there in my final year.

I think other forummers miss it more than I do :eek:

D

Deleted member 17920

I binned my country membership at my 2nd club a year ago. I could afford it but I just wasn't using it enough, in fact I think it would have been cheaper to pay a visitor green fee each time I went there in my final year.

I think they all go with the mariners and enjoy it more now 😉

D

Deleted member 17920

Will be interesting to see what Dundonald do this year as there are a few changes/ideas in the pipeline that are being branded about, will be interesting to see if these come to fruition or fizzle out. Those I'm guessing will have quite an impact on the fees.
I'm doing the same and binning my country membership. I can't justify the outlay given the amount of times i've played this year. Even more so when my home club has been in superb nick.
That’s what we see with country members, the ones we see that leave just don’t use it enough due to time constraints and travelling.

I know one country member has only played once this year, not really value for money.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
That’s what we see with country members, the ones we see that leave just don’t use it enough due to time constraints and travelling.

I know one country member has only played once this year, not really value for money.

I certainly played enough, just the associated expenses that became too much - especially when some people wouldn't take their turns in driving.

It was a decision that I didn't make likely but being a member of one good all year round course really meant that I was struggling to justify the expense of another.

Let's see how this season goes.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

Course yes, company mmmmm
I think they all go with the mariners and enjoy it more now 😉
Cheaper with the Mariners, as you don't get fleeced for a curry.:(