What level of fees increase would make you look to move clubs

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think you are right, this summer was a freak summer like we haven’t had for over 20 years, if it’s a regular thing then clubs will have to look long term.

I know we got through the summer well but I seriously wouldn’t be leaving a club just because the course wasn’t in great condition this year.

If it continued to be crap then fully understand leaving.
I think clubs will need a couple of normal summers to get the growth back properly and as you say, it's to be hoped this has acted as a wake up call and clubs are developing longer term plans for another hot summer. I really can't see how a club could have prepared too much and think it's very short sighted of members wanting to jump ship, even given an annual rise, based on the state of the course and not give the club a chance to make good the damage

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Ours has gone up, but I had a ring around other courses and so have theres. So much so, ours is cheaper than comaprible courses, so am staying. In fact I paid my £615 five day fee today. Some courses I rang, the pros really did sell there clubs well. so I thought I would try Sherwood. Now they have vacancies, but they don't have or do a five day ticket. Now seeing as I don't play weekends. I thought £1200 per year and a signing on fee of £2500, which you pay over five years. Well I won't say what Missis T said. But they have vacancies. Hmmmm.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It's surprising what clubs have vacancies, I heard only yesterday that Royal Aberdeen have vacancies. Whether that is true or not I can't confirm but I was told that

D

Deleted member 17920

It's surprising what clubs have vacancies, I heard only yesterday that Royal Aberdeen have vacancies. Whether that is true or not I can't confirm but I was told that
I think that’s for 6 days.

7 day takes about 18 months I was told.

I think a few years ago they had a 10 year waiting list.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Leaving my club, probably going nomad.
It's not just the price increase, it's the total arrogance and the belligerence of the committee/directors.
Most of my clique is going to an old club of mine that I don't want to rejoin, so I'm going to be playing social golf for the next year. (What happens to my handicap btw?)
Apparently there's approximately 35/40 members that have said they're leaving come January, that's a lot of money to lose.

Have written several emails to the chairman, apart from the idiocy of replying in comics sans (yes, they really are that professional), they are completely dismissive of any complaints that have been raised.
I've even asked in writing to raise a formal complaint about an issue and the chairman has just fobbed it off and told me to contact a different committee/board member.. unbelievable!

So they can sod off, I'll keep my money!

D

Deleted member 17920

It's not just the price increase, it's the total arrogance and the belligerence of the committee/directors.
Most of my clique is going to an old club of mine that I don't want to rejoin, so I'm going to be playing social golf for the next year. (What happens to my handicap btw?)
Apparently there's approximately 35/40 members that have said they're leaving come January, that's a lot of money to lose.

Have written several emails to the chairman, apart from the idiocy of replying in comics sans (yes, they really are that professional), they are completely dismissive of any complaints that have been raised.
I've even asked in writing to raise a formal complaint about an issue and the chairman has just fobbed it off and told me to contact a different committee/board member.. unbelievable!

Wow, what club is this?

Unbelievable that clubs still want to wave goodbye to so many members.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Blimey - sounds like some serious mismanagement!

Members club?

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Wow, what club is this?

Unbelievable that clubs still want to wave goodbye to so many members.

Blimey - sounds like some serious mismanagement!

Members club?

I'm writing my resignation letter right now, and I'll be a non member come the 31st Dec.
This might sound strange but I feel better telling once I'm no longer affiliated to the club.

D

Deleted member 17920

I'm writing my resignation letter right now, and I'll be a non member come the 31st Dec.
This might sound strange but I feel better telling once I'm no longer affiliated to the club.
Totally understand 👍

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
After the feedback on one of my threads and after a lot of thought, for me it boils down to value for money and ease of location. Current subs are £1300 and some change all in. Its one of the cheapest in the area. There are a few local courses that Id be happy to join but to be honest would be a pain in the backside to get to. 1 is £350 a year more and the other is the same price but a total PITA of a drive. If the current place went up by £100 Id leave.

Some interesting answers here with people feeling like they're sort of trapped where they are - not worth moving - other courses are better condition but don't have the facilities you're after. Nice to know I'm not alone.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Interesting read. I think everyone has a tipping point for one reason or another and when it is reached, that's it.

Very much so. My club will just put up the fees again and I've told them that not only will they lose members as a result of that, simply because people can't afford it, or they dont play enough to warrant it BUT if the fees keep going up, and nearby clubs dont, then it may attract members to move to better, more expensive, clubs - in my case Littlestone GC becomes an option as the gap on pricing narrows.

Also, if the club loses say 20 members due to pricing at renewal it's a potential £25k loss which wont be replaced immediately as 20 new members wont join on the 1st day of the new year and will be probably paying pro rata or could possibly be younger members on special deals

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Very much so. My club will just put up the fees again and I've told them that not only will they lose members as a result of that, simply because people can't afford it, or they dont play enough to warrant it BUT if the fees keep going up, and nearby clubs dont, then it may attract members to move to better, more expensive, clubs - in my case Littlestone GC becomes an option as the gap on pricing narrows.

Also, if the club loses say 20 members due to pricing at renewal it's a potential £25k loss which wont be replaced immediately as 20 new members wont join on the 1st day of the new year and will be probably paying pro rata or could possibly be younger members on special deals

Very true, I dont envy the people who have to make these decisions at the golf clubs. I understand that more money is required each year to keep on top of the course etc etc - its a fine balancing act. The prospect of 20 members leaving wouldn't bear thinking about for me.

However, if the club made it known that there was a plan for this extra money like bunker regeneration or to improve drainage and the members can see where its going, members would be more likely to accept it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
In response to your earlier question 're handicap, wef 31.12.18 you will cease to have a handicap.
If you join a club within 12 months you should seamlessly regain you current position (to aid this I recommend noting your CDH Number carefully now, together with handicap - access to records has be known to become a problem!).
After 12 months you will be required to complete a new allocation process when joining a club, part of which involves you advising the new club of your previous handicap etc.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think a lot of courses got hit badly by the heatwave. Even the likes of West Hill hadn't escaped unscathed. It could take a couple of years of normal rain/summer sun and a lot of work by green staff to get the fairways back but I think it's grossly unfair and short sighted to blame clubs and moan about the conditions that nothing other than fairway watering (and the money and ability to use it) could prevent.

Agree - we are fortunate in that we invested in fairway watering a good few years ago and have our own well and storage tank - and so we were able to water our fairways as much as we needed. Our fairways are today pretty much as good as they can be at this time of year - and that's good. But on the par 3s (no fairways) we suffered like everyone - and the holes are still recovering - but fortunately that matters less on par 3s.

The proof that is in the pudding is that we have a waiting list...built on the course and the investment we have made in our practice and coaching facilities - and that is ongoing rebuilding every single bunker on the course as an eco-bunker (consistency and reduced maintenance - and those done are brilliant)

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
In response to your earlier question 're handicap, wef 31.12.18 you will cease to have a handicap.
If you join a club within 12 months you should seamlessly regain you current position (to aid this I recommend noting your CDH Number carefully now, together with handicap - access to records has be known to become a problem!).
After 12 months you will be required to complete a new allocation process when joining a club, part of which involves you advising the new club of your previous handicap etc.

Thank you, good to know.

Fabia999

Visit site
Depends how much you enjoy the course. I pay £205 with discount for age. This will go up to a full £660 within the next three years. I'll see how much I'm enjoying it in three years time.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just had letters in over the last few weeks, one club has went up by £25 and another one by £200, I will be renewing both