Radical thought - Pass Level 1 Rules test or you're not allowed to play in comps??

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I think you still need a golfing license in Germany ( as a resident) before you are allowed on a course.

The German golfing licence (Platzreife)
Foreign players do not need to take the Platzreife examinations if they can prove their handicap through official club membership and handicap card.
Residents of Germany and others without an official handicap card must take the Platzreife examination before permission is granted to play a round of golf.
The licence examination
The Platzreife examination comes in two parts:
  • The practical test: tests driving, putting and chipping skills. Golfers must complete an 18-hole round in 108 strokes or fewer with a DGV-certified golf pro
  • The written examination: tests knowledge of the rules of golf and golfing etiquette. A minimum of 24 out of 30 correct answers is required to pass. The test is in German
In 2006 the DGV introduced new examination guidelines for obtaining a DGV-certified golfing licence. This certification is the most widely accepted form of golfing licence in Germany and can be obtained by all golfers no matter whether they are a club member or not. There are now over 400 clubs in Germany offering three- to five-day courses for obtaining a DGV and PGA approved golfing licence. To check that the club in question is DGV certified see the DGV website or call the information line during office hours.
There is a fee for training and taking the Platzreife and many choose instead to take the course in Austria, Italy, Switzerland or Spain where it is less expensive. Some golf course developers as well as others in the profession have tried to get rid of the Platzreife in order to make golf more accessible.
It's a pastime for goodness sake!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
An hour long test seems excessive but a quickfire ten-question rules quiz would probably be a good idea.

I'll take the rules test shortly, I'm sure everyone is dying to know what I'd score. 😆

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
People have to take a written and practicle exam to pass their driving test, does that mean they follow those rules after they pass their test?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some of these questions are just about terminology rather than rules. Who cares what 'opponent' means in this context? That's not really a rule is it?

As someone else said, it's tough to remember what's 2 stroke penalty and what's 1 stroke, so I've tended to guess 2 for all of those questions (unless it's no penalty).

"Congratulations!
You have passed the exam.
You answered correctly 39 out of 50 questions"

Don't mind that at all. There doesn't seem to be a way to review your incorrect answers though, so I've learned nothing. It doesn't tell you what the correct answer is. How stupid!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Some of these questions are just about terminology rather than rules. Who cares what 'opponent' means in this context? That's not really a rule is it?

As someone else said, it's tough to remember what's 2 stroke penalty and what's 1 stroke, so I've tended to guess 2 for all of those questions (unless it's no penalty).

"Congratulations!
You answered correctly 39 out of 50 questions"

Don't mind that at all. There doesn't seem to be a way to review your incorrect answers though, so I've learned nothing. It doesn't tell you what the correct answer is. How stupid!

I failed twice when I had a go... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It's a pastime for goodness sake!
But but but there are some very serious competitions and prizes.

One of the reasons I very rarely play comps other than match play is because you are (supposedly) competing against a field playing to a different set of rules.

In match play I can watch my opponent and have direct influence on how rules are applied.

JayB

Visit site
Congratulations!
You answered correctly 39 out of 50 questions

One question I got wrong was repeated so really only 10 incorrect, happy with that for someone who has only been playing on and off for a few years, of which a large proportion has just been casual golf on my own after work

D

Deleted member 25172

Works the same way in Sweden. You need to play a "mentor" round of 9 holes with the pro just to show that you can actually hit a ball, and you'll also need to pass a short test with the basics of the rules.

I honestly cannot see any downside to it what-so-ever with having people try to learn the fundamentals of the rules at least.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
See personally I think it's over the top idea

I did last night, no revision and passed. With revision I'd of easily scored higher. The questions I got wrong for me I think are more important rules than some the ones I got wrong.

Also do u need to pass yearly? Like an MOT

As others say it's just another barrier to playing.

When I joined my club I knew nobody, took few months to get a card because I had to get to know someone and so on. Now I know more by entering the swindle and other things. However that's me. Others might not be comfortable with putting themselves out there as much.

Add another barrier and we just making it harder for people to get into the game

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

I did last night, no revision and passed. With revision I'd of easily scored higher. The questions I got wrong for me I think are more important rules than some the ones I got wrong.

When I joined my club I knew nobody, took few months to get a card because I had to get to know someone and so on. Now I know more by entering the swindle and other things. However that's me. Others might not be comfortable with putting themselves out there as much.

Add another barrier and we just making it harder for people to get into the game
I wouldn’t let it stop people playing. Just have a minimum standard of awareness to play comps.

My club was struggling for members a while ago so they introduced a cheap points system and very cheap junior fees.

We ended up like a par 3 muni with rounds taking forever millions of pitch marks and bunkers left a mess.

No one when joining was subject to any kind of checks or induction.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Remember, there's a difference between a kick around in the park and playing football for a team!

If you're playing comps, you need to know the rules well enough to avoid problems. If you're just starting out or out having fun with your mates, who cares if you are not playing by strict rules?

There's no need for it to be a barrier to new players unless they make it one.

As soon as you start keeping "proper score" you start needing to know rules... how far you take it is up to you.

I think level 1 online multiple-guess is a good indicator of where you might run into trouble. Being able to quote the Decisions Book verbatim might not be for everyone 😉

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Framed the right way it could actually help newcomers.

Many of us must remember feeling some trepidation in our early games.
Unsure if we were doing the right thing, where to stand, how to behave when others are taking their shot, what to do in a particular situation, without even getting to properly playing by the rules.

A simple induction could banish many of those fears and give a starter the confidence to go out and play with others.

You also mention not knowing anyone, the inductions could be run as groups then all the starters immediately have a set of people they know who are in the same position as they are and can ask questions etc.

I can see many positives for such a scheme.

D-S

Visit site
It shouldn’t be a barrier to playing, it shouldn’t be a barrier to competing but maybe it should be a barrier to winning other people’s money.
I am rather suspicious of those that refuse to demonstrate any basic knowledge of the rules of a game when they are playing for my money.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Was thinking about the rules test yesterday when out for a few holes with my academy mentee.

On one hole my tricky 2nd shot from maybe 75yds finished on a track maybe only 5yds to the side of the green and the line from ball to almost anywhere on the raised green was over a green side bunker. I asked my mentee what my options were and what I should do. As it happens he thought he either had to play it or take a one shot ‘penalty’ to play from off the track - he didn’t know about free relief from a track (Abnormal course condition).

Anyway we went through the process of me identifying my NPR and my Relief Area, and I dropped and played. But he then asked if I could have taken free relief back in line with the flag…and you know what…thinking about it I convinced myself that maybe I could, and then I thought that if I could that then maybe I could have replayed my 2nd shot without penalty. I started 100% sure all I could do was NPR but within a couple of minutes I introduced sufficient uncertainty in my thinking that I told my mentee that I just confirm NPR only.

And yes - I checked as soon as I got home as I did not have immediate recourse to rules when on the course.

Bloody golf rules - I’ll put it down to an age thing - my wife does for other stuff I forget.
I think you know this but you do not get penalty free relief from a "track" unless it is artifically surfaced or it are identified as an ACC in the local Rules.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think you know this but you do not get penalty free relief from a "track" unless it is artifically surfaced or it are identified as an ACC in the local Rules.
It was…the former.

That said one of the clubs next major projects is over a few years to rebuild and fully define all tracks from which relief is provided. They are currently very messy and many are indeterminate.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
when i first joined a club and putting cards in for handicap, you had to play a round with someone on the committee and they tested you on rules and etiquette during the round.

always thought that was a good idea, even for the Etiquette alone.