Which country would you move to.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Money no object; Canada in the warm half of the year, Vancouver, Calgary or Banff, maybe move about a bit, cold half of the year off to Bermuda.

As I'm paying for it, I'll probably end up staying here.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think I have found another country yet that I would want to move to. I would move within the UK, N. Yorks appeals, but not outside. I have been to some lovely places and will happily go back to them on holiday but to live there is a different beast. One issue for me is that I struggle in high temps so much of Europe, the Mediteranean etc is too much for me for in summer for any period.

I have a real hankering to go to Canada and I suspect that would score well but finances and time so far have worked against me. Hopefully at some point and maybe that would be the one for me.

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
Money no object; Canada in the warm half of the year, Vancouver, Calgary or Banff, maybe move about a bit, cold half of the year off to Bermuda.

As I'm paying for it, I'll probably end up staying here.
We were looking at emigrating to Canada, either BC or Alberta (Whistler or Banff were the places) a number of years ago. Then we decided to have kids instead :cautious:.Wife now looking at a holiday home in Filey instead.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Southern Spain, great climate, not too far in flying hours from family in UK, and low cost of living.

Golf courses are not too bad, and lovely beaches. (y)

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
South east Spain; very warm - think I've only needed long trousers through the day about 5 times this winter. Very cheap - our council tax is less a year than we were paying a month in the UK. A coffee in the bar in the village costs us €1.20 each, and we can do lunch for less then €2.50 each - we're away from the tourist areas. My pension goes 40% further, at least. And our 3 bed semi-villa cost less than £70k fully furnished, inc white goods, hence why we could retire so early. The people are lovely, especially away from the tourist areas. Go into a little bar in one of the villages, try a little Spanglish and they'll love you forever.

Just love the little Plaza in Mojacar Playa Bri. But Mojacar Pueblo has just stunning views. Fingers crossed you can get back out to them soon!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Little to choose between them, really, though the latter is at least on the coast.
Lived for a year in NZ in 1980 & would return at the drop of a hat as I doubt little of real substance has changed a lot.
Brothers son works in Christchurch, well he did. He called into Melbourne to watch the grand prix which was cancelled. Eventually got to the UK to find NZ now not accepting any flights. He is gutted.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Canada or Spain for me.

Visited Toronto a while back and it felt like home, but Spain has a decent climate most of the year, plus wor lasses brother lives in Spain.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We're not a would you, more a why did you?

The 2 main things are weather and cost of living. But that doesn't answer a question about where. We live in southern Spain but it wasn't our first or second choice. We researched the hell out of our choices, Italy, Portugal & Spain and in that order.

Italy; the heel of Italy(Puglia) or Sicily. We visited every year, sometimes twice a year for at least 10 years. We made lots of friends there amongst the locals., and some of the expats out there. As melodramatic as its sounds it was the Mafia that put us off. Goes as a tourist, and you're as safe as houses 95% of the time. Live there, and you have to pay your 'insurance.' Buy a house and there's a kick back. Get the utilities switched on and there's a kick back. It not much more than pennies but its there. Southern Italy is beautiful, and our fav place for holidays but its very corrupt.

Portugal; at the time that we were looking to buy Portugal was still well into its recession. There was talk of a levy of 10% on all bank accounts holding more than €xx. And there was also whispers of the military taking over the country again. 50 to 150 miles north of Lisbon is beautiful. Very green... for a reason, a bit wet in winter. Cheap as chips, both to buy and to live. The Algarve is expensive but not bad just inland, and a lot warmer, but although we holiday'd there often it just didn't blow us away..

South east Spain; very warm - think I've only needed long trousers through the day about 5 times this winter. Very cheap - our council tax is less a year than we were paying a month in the UK. A coffee in the bar in the village costs us €1.20 each, and we can do lunch for less then €2.50 each - we're away from the tourist areas. My pension goes 40% further, at least. And our 3 bed semi-villa cost less than £70k fully furnished, inc white goods, hence why we could retire so early. The people are lovely, especially away from the tourist areas. Go into a little bar in one of the villages, try a little Spanglish and they'll love you forever.

The downside; our children are in the UK, but are hours away from each other. If they lived close together we'd still be there. We miss our family but our 'visitor's' book is very full this year, as it was last year - here's hoping it still happens. We miss a few friends but we have loads here now we're retired, Spanish and Brits. Do I miss paying £3 for a putrid coffee in Starbucks, or paying £7 for a carvery in a Toby?
Wow... some very persuasive numbers there Bri. Had a holiday in Mojacar some 30 years ago & lived it. Could seriously be looking there after Corvid19. Should be some good deals available though am unsure of our position post-Brexit if that still happens. Am off to do some googling.??

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Wow... some very persuasive numbers there Bri. Had a holiday in Mojacar some 30 years ago & lived it. Could seriously be looking there after Corvid19. Should be some good deals available though am unsure of our position post-Brexit if that still happens. Am off to do some googling.??

Get your self here Dave. There's a lot of snowbirds out here, and the regulations, post-Brexit, aren't too bad. Not 100% sure but I think you can stay for up to 90 days, then have to be out of the country for 180 days. You could, for example, come over for 40 days, go home for xx days, then come back for 50 days. Just juggle the numbers to fit.

Quite a number of people don't like July/Aug as its too hot, and may also want Christmas with the family in the UK. Juggle the numbers around that. Basically, if you didn't have residencia its no different to when the UK was in the EU, they're just planning on enforcing it.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Germany for me.

My wife studied international relations and European politics at university, with German as her language. I did German at school. She lived in Hanover for a year. We've done trips to Hanover, Hamburg, Berlin and Munich. Hamburg is without a shadow of doubt one of my favourite cities. It's just a wonderful, wonderful place.

Although I do very much understand the sun chasers!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Quite happy living where I am, 8 miles from the beach, 5 miles from the Galloway hills, 12 miles from the nearest big town [hospitals/shops/cinema etc] and an hour's drive from Glasgow.
If I was forced to leave I quite fancy my cousin's place on Vancouver Island.
I would also have Harry and Megan as neighbours

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I would move to almost any country in Western Europe where I could gain access to American type food. I know Sainsbury's sells food I could cook.
Unfortunately, I'm not welcome with your immigration laws.
Italy might take me because I can prove full ethnicity, but neither my Irish wife nor our half-breed adult kids would follow.