What do you think ?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Looking at that video of Rory it seems like he starts a hip slide before fully getting to the top but then starts down with his upper and lower body rotating.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Complete the backswing first but then this will probably depend on the type of swing you have and how you've been taught etc. More than 1 way to skin a cat and all that.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes, if you can get the rhythm right of the moves. Definitely more power/speed generated and it pulls the club down a line from where its hard to come over the top

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Should the lower body start the leg drive before the upper body has finished the backswing?

Leg Drive? :eek:

Best I do is start a hip movement - left-ish cum turn - before dropping the club. The rest is just catching up - admittedly in quite a hurry! :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Leg Drive? :eek:

I did change my mind about what to call it several times.........hip turn, hip slide, leg drive, lower half rotational movement, etc etc but realised no matter what I called it, someone would highlight it so settled for leg drive in the end. Everyone seems to understand the question though which is the main thing.

DCB

Visit site
Should the lower body start the leg drive before the upper body has finished the backswing?

If the lower body start to drive in the opposite direction, when is the backswing finished then ? Does the backswing reach it's natural/possible full extent or will it be pulled up short as the legs take the body in the opposite direction ?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Personally speaking I would say no.

When ever I let my lower half start before I've completed my backswing, I, 9 times out of 10, get my arms stuck and end up blocking everything straight right.

That's just me though.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
as long as the lower body starts the downswing i dont think its essential for it to start before the backswing finishes. if you can time it right then i do think it can be a useful move.

the lower body driving the downswing is an essential move ! absolutely vital

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if you can do it then its a good move. needs to be well timed. the lower body starting the downswing is essential !

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Depends what shot you are playing, in my opinion.

Good point. But the assumption is that it's on a full swing.

I did change my mind about what to call it several times.........hip turn, hip slide, leg drive, lower half rotational movement, etc etc but realised no matter what I called it, someone would highlight it so settled for leg drive in the end. Everyone seems to understand the question though which is the main thing.

I'm pretty sure almost all coaches (probably even applies to S&T) agree that the down-swing should start with a movement of the hip or, at least, the shoulders/arms shouldn't start before that move - as some consider that to be part of the transition. Whether its a turn ('no' legs) or slide (legs involved) depends on coaching 'philosophy', but definitely starts from below the navel!

Actually, as long as it flows and is balanced - and is repeatable, it's not really a huge issue imo.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
With this Stacking and Tilting that I am trying I feel like I am progressively making a lower body slide throughout the backswing. My weight is gradually moving towards my front foot.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I would say with my great wisdom, that as you reach the top of your backswing in order to create coil in your core you start to unwind from the ground up ever so slightly before reaching your full backswing position..

Much like if you were skimming a stone, hardly noticeable at speed but when slowed down a definite start from the ground.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know what's the ideal, but for me even thinking that would make me rush the backswing and transition which is never a good thing...I prefer to feel more deliberate and a sense of completion in the backswing before I start anything else.