Drill to reduce hip slide

RustyDog

Visit site
Hi there, this is my first post on the forum and really hoping you guys can help me out.

For years my golf has suffered due to an over active lower body and excessive hip slide.
Even if I feel as though my left hip turns and clears with no slide, a video of my swing sees my hips slide well past the outside of my left heel.
Some days I can get away with it and shoot mid to high 70's. On a bad day I'm shooting mid 90's.
Any drills recommended to calm my lower body down?
Thanks

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have suffered a hip slide for years without realising it.
When practising, I rest a club against my right hip and try to swing without it falling down. Or put a stand bag down so its nudging your hip. Anything really to help focus the mind on a turn over a slide.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You won't be able to take a chair or place anything against you on the course so work on fixing the problem with the correct movements. You need to move your weight onto your lead leg and sliding forward is good as long as you rotate as well, make sure you turn your lead hip behind you. Also make sure you are not tilting your upper body backwards so that your swing lowpoint is moving back with it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The OP has been suffering from sliding his hips for years and has asked for any drills to reduce the slide and encourage more turn.
And your advice is

so work on fixing the problem with the correct movements.
Brilliant

And where the hell did the OP mention anything about tilting his upper body backwards. Well done, you've just given him something else to worry about that he probably wasn't doing in the first place.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The OP has been suffering from sliding his hips for years and has asked for any drills to reduce the slide and encourage more turn.
And your advice is

Brilliant

And where the hell did the OP mention anything about tilting his upper body backwards. Well done, you've just given him something else to worry about that he probably wasn't doing in the first place.
Your quote is not all I said, was it!
If you're going to quote me then don't extract parts and suggest that's all I said.

I suggested he should not slide his hips while leaving his upper body back as this is what many people with his problem do, I explained he should also rotate as well.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Once again, the OP asked for drills to reduce his hip slide.
I gave him a drill to work on the range
And I gave him advice on how to improve his swing without drills. I dont much like aids like chairs to fix a fault, to me it's better to sort out the problem by changing what's wrong.

You of course can explain what you prefer and that's fine with me.

Ian_George

Visit site
And I gave him advice on how to improve his swing without drills. I dont much like aids like chairs to fix a fault, to me it's better to sort out the problem by changing what's wrong.

You of course can explain what you prefer and that's fine with me.
Given that, according to the OP, an excessive hip slide is the problem, hasn't that been sorted when the OP stops hitting the chair?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Be very careful about doing drills to reduce hip slide (believe me). Just make sure you don't take it too far. Before you know it you're left on your trail side hitting behind the ball.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Be very careful about doing drills to reduce hip slide (believe me). Just make sure you don't take it too far. Before you know it you're left on your trail side hitting behind the ball.
Hip slide without rotation will leave you on your trail side hitting behind the ball.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Given that, according to the OP, an excessive hip slide is the problem, hasn't that been sorted when the OP stops hitting the chair?
Not in my opinion. To me it's a bandaid fix that probably won't last.
I believe it's best to understand what you are doing wrong and fixing it by doing what's right without things like chairs.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hip slide without rotation will leave you on your trail side hitting behind the ball.
You can still rotate and stay on your trail side. I know because this was me for 3 years.

To the op. First you need to find out if your hip slide is caused from bad concept (in which case the chair drill should work) or your body is having to slide forward to compensate for another fault. Like early releasing for example. You brain is amazing at subconsciously changing your swing to compensate for other faults.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You can still rotate and stay on your trail side. I know because this was me for 3 years.
Of course you can but you will still tend to hit fat or thin and early extend.
I made it quite clear in my earlier post that you shouldn't be letting your upper body fall back as your hips move forward and rotate.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course you can but you will still tend to hit fat or thin and early extend.
I made it quite clear in my earlier post that you shouldn't be letting your upper body fall back as your hips move forward and rotate.
If your hips back up as they rotate then it's irrelevant of what the torso is doing. The point I'm trying to make is the chair drill is effective for some but when doing drills to prevent the slide its easy to go to far and end up backing up onto your trail side

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If your hips back up as they rotate then it's irrelevant of what the torso is doing. The point I'm trying to make is the chair drill is effective for some but when doing drills to prevent the slide its easy to go to far and end up backing up onto your trail side
Lost me there. How exactly can you back up the hips without your torso hanging back. We are talking of hips that are sliding forward here.

Ian_George

Visit site
Not in my opinion. To me it's a bandaid fix that probably won't last.
I believe it's best to understand what you are doing wrong and fixing it by doing what's right without things like chairs.
You mean just like the one Bobmac mentioned about Jack Nicklaus in the other - hip slide - thread?
I don't believe you need to go back to and 'rebuild' a swing to correct every fault! Some 'causes' can actually be corrected by using a tool to simply correct/prevent/eliminate the symptoms!
In fact, there's a guy playing in the LIV semi whose early golf career was supported by such a tool - The simple, effective, and much copied, Swingyde, was, I believe, invented by Wade Ormsby's father.
In the case of the slide vs chair, the objective is to prevent the slide and when that has been achieved - measured by the absence of contact with the chair - that goal has been achieved.
There are, of course, certain faults where fundamental action is required. But that's where a discussion with a qualified coach - as to whether full correction, or maybe simply a bandaid, is actually required/wanted!

Last edited: