What do you think ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So if someone new to golf is reading this thread, what should he/she do..........
Wait till the backswing is finished then swing everything down together or......
Start sliding the hips towards the target before the club has changed direction?

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
So if someone new to golf is reading this thread, what should he/she do..........
Wait till the backswing is finished then swing everything down together or......
Start sliding the hips towards the target before the club has changed direction?

I guess it depends on if they're 16 or 65...

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Come on then Bobby, off the fence and give us your view.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Doesn't seem like something that should be considered that early imo.

Let them turn and swing 'naturally' and make a decent impact. The 'fine tuning' can come later.

What's tour approach to teaching 10-12 year olds who are new to golf?

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Should the lower body start the leg drive before the upper body has finished the backswing?

I would say yes it should.

If the club head is still moving towards the end of the backswing and the lower body starts the downswing then there will be alot more lag and therefore increased power in the downswing. As the lower body will then start the upper body and then the arms last because the arms were still moving in the backswing they will be the last movement to start the downswing hence lagging behind.

So more opportunity for the body to turn through and the hands to get ahead to give optimum impact as the club head reaches the ball
at its maximum achievable club head speed.

Not sure that makes sense (it does in my head but I'm not great at explaining technical stuff lol)

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bob- to be fair, I think loads of people look to you as a person they can trust when they need advice and see you as a 'teacher' or 'an instructor', rather than a golf enthusiast, when you post on this website.

Therefore it's natural for these people to think that when you pose a question such as you have done in your OP that you are actually teaching or instructing. Therefore, people (because they want to see the point of the 'lesson') then want to know why you asked what you asked in the OP.

In this case, you were just wondering what people thought about a particular subject.

To say that this thread has been 'twisted' suggests malice and ill-intent, when I think that's unjustified. Now that you have explained that this thread is merely intended to satisfy one's curiosity I see no need to close it.

Let the discussion continue....

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
On topic, it's the first I have really heard of starting the lower half downswing before the backswing is completed.

Interesting stuff. It's amazing when people point out things to you which only seem obvious when told to look out for them whilst watching a slow-mo swing.

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm pretty new to the board but have to say even in my short time here that its getting like a school play ground at times.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It was a simple question to maybe get people thinking about their swing, that was all. No hidden agenda, no mystery, no trick.
But as usual, it's been twisted.
So as far as I'm concerned, mods you might as well close it.

Don't call me that again

Bob, I was interested on your view on this subject, nothing more than that. No need to get all mardy.

Regarding Bobby, I apologise if it offends you it was not meant to.