West Lancs

The Lion

Visit site
I'd be delighted to have a few games up there on the way to Southport.

Be keen to tie up all the details sooner rather than later so accommodation can be sorted

Same. Maybe we can do another thread in Arrange a Game, title North West Meet" or something. I may also do the North West Region Group I suggested and tag everyone I can find in the region. May take some time, but will see what I can do.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I wouldn't worry about tagging folk based on location, it isn't probably as good use of time, folk see the thread and will read or not depending on title!

A simple thread saying - "We're playing here on this date and the price is this - if you want in, send me your deposit" works best!!

If you look at other threads, you'll see anything with any latitude producing pages of variables and waffle...

The West Lancs Open is Thursday 28th October, @clubchamp98 mentioned playing St Helens, but not confirmed..... so anything on Tuesday or Wednesday suits me fine. But, "organisers call!"

The Lion

Visit site
I wouldn't worry about tagging folk based on location, it isn't probably as good use of time, folk see the thread and will read or not depending on title!

A simple thread saying - "We're playing here on this date and the price is this - if you want in, send me your deposit" works best!!

If you look at other threads, you'll see anything with any latitude producing pages of variables and waffle...

The West Lancs Open is Thursday 28th October, @clubchamp98 mentioned playing St Helens, but not confirmed..... so anything on Tuesday or Wednesday suits me fine. But, "organisers call!"

Some good points thanks. I'll see what I can do.

Meantime, who's ready to book the West Lancs day? I'm ready, but need a partner.

FYI...all the spaces between 8.30 and 9.10 are available, so up enough for up to ten pairs.

And...another course option could be Formby Ladies. May be possible to get a deal for winter rate £52...

The Lion

Visit site
Hi all. An update. Just want to ask how many of you would be interested in North Wales the day before the West Lancs comp, perhaps with a Conwy double header?

If I can get a rough idea of numbers and whether people would do 18 or 36, then I’ll get some ideas ready...

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
I am keen to play at West Lancs at some point in my life, and I am coincidentally going to be in the North West for a few days in late October, just when their Autumn 4BBB is on...Thursday 27 October. This gives a reduced green-fee and soup and sandwiches for £60.

Would any Liverpool / Lancashire based golfers care to join me for this - @The Lion @Liverbirdie or anyone else?

Cheers!
I'd be up for this trip. Can get you on St. Anne's Old Links at Members rates while we're up there if you fancy it. Drop me a DM to discuss further. Cheers! Mark

The Lion

Visit site
I'd be up for this trip. Can get you on St. Anne's Old Links at Members rates while we're up there if you fancy it. Drop me a DM to discuss further. Cheers! Mark

Hi Mark

That would work well for me too. I’m only down the road. I’d still be up for a round, even if all the others aren’t.

We played SAOL last year on our club tour and I want revenge as I four putted the first from 17ft! ?

I’m imminently going to chat with my club North Wales about a deal to have a few people in Llandudno. Will get back to everyone within a week latest, but hopefully much sooner.

Best
The Lion

Last edited:

evemccc

Visit site

Thanks that’s a great offer, thanks v much! Would love to play SAOL. The only day I’d be able to do - I think - is the day before the West Lancs Open Comp....so I think that’s the Tuesday 26 Oct. Go with whatever suits your schedule of course!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Thanks that’s a great offer, thanks v much! Would love to play SAOL. The only day I’d be able to do - I think - is the day before the West Lancs Open Comp....so I think that’s the Tuesday 26 Oct. Go with whatever suits your schedule of course!

Room for a 4th???

I could then go straight to Southport and stay there for a few days.

Last edited:

The Lion

Visit site
So I'm definitely keen to play West Lancs on Thu 28 Oct for sure, but need a partner please...?

Don't expect to win much with me as I'm still working on improving my game, but I'll try my best!

Next, as mentioned I'll defo be able to do a day out at North Wales (my place). Given the distance (1.5h drive from Liverpool area), perhaps a 2-3 ball 36 hole day might work together with Curtis Cuppers Conwy, which is ten mins drive across the bay!?

At end October, there's not that much time to get around twice, but with a 10am tee time, we should be fine - sunset is around 6pm. If people only want to do one or the other, then no problem.

I checked the tee sheet and Wed 27 Oct morning is out due to a comp, but Tues 26 or Friday 29 are free. Cost approx £20-25 - hopefully including a sign on for all of you - but need to speak with our GM re that, plus food. Conwy is around £30 PM rate (post 2pm) at that time of year.

Based on all suggestions above, here's a suggested schedule so far. It includes @Radbourne2010's kind offer of SAOL - but please forgive me if I jumped the gun! It's just trying to get organised...

ITINERARY

Tue 26 Oct North Wales/Conwy (poss 36h double header) (also Fri 29 Oct possible)
Wed 27 Oct SAOL
Thu 28 Oct West Lancs
Fri 29 Oct ??

What do people think about this? And further, if we are to do 3-4 days, how to fill the other date?

Tagging a few of you... @IanM @evemccc @karlcole @Liverbirdie @StevieT @clubchamp98 @casuk

Best,
The Lion

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Envious of the schedule!
If you are looking for a 'final' course, Fairhaven would be my recommendation. Classic Braid layout, though both SAOC and West Lancs (particularly) rank above it in MY registry - purely from my preference of links style over parkland.

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
This is in danger of getting confused. My current position/understanding is as follows:

- I am playing at West Lancs on 28th. Paid and booked in.
- I asked if I could join the others at Old Links on 27th. Not sure if I am in or not. (apologies if I am trying to invite myself inappropriately - happy to be told "sorry, naff off" if appropriate! )

I am very keen to play NW/Conwy, but it is a bit out of the way if heading to Lancs coast from the south. But could resolve if there is a game sorted.

- Friday? No idea.

The Lion

Visit site
This is in danger of getting confused. My current position/understanding is as follows:

- I am playing at West Lancs on 28th. Paid and booked in.
- I asked if I could join the others at Old Links on 27th. Not sure if I am in or not. (apologies if I am trying to invite myself inappropriately - happy to be told "sorry, naff off" if appropriate! )

I am very keen to play NW/Conwy, but it is a bit out of the way if heading to Lancs coast from the south. But could resolve if there is a game sorted.

- Friday? No idea.

I was just trying to collate the options suggested so far into one post, and drop a hint that we could perhaps make a few days of it; after all if some of you are travelling this far, maybe it might work for you. I probably should have made that much clearer, so sorry!

I do agree North Wales GC & Conwy are a bit out of the way from Liverpool, however that's where I play, so it's what I can offer everyone. It takes around 80-90 minutes from Liverpool to get there.

I'll go and confirm with our GM whatever offer we can do and then block out a few tee times on those days. I'll then come back to you all with the details. If people don't want to travel the extra, then that's cool; there are many other decent options near here which we can look at.

Best
The Lion

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So I'm definitely keen to play West Lancs on Thu 28 Oct for sure, but need a partner please...?

Don't expect to win much with me as I'm still working on improving my game, but I'll try my best!

Next, as mentioned I'll defo be able to do a day out at North Wales (my place). Given the distance (1.5h drive from Liverpool area), perhaps a 2-3 ball 36 hole day might work together with Curtis Cuppers Conwy, which is ten mins drive across the bay!?

At end October, there's not that much time to get around twice, but with a 10am tee time, we should be fine - sunset is around 6pm. If people only want to do one or the other, then no problem.

I checked the tee sheet and Wed 27 Oct morning is out due to a comp, but Tues 26 or Friday 29 are free. Cost approx £20-25 - hopefully including a sign on for all of you - but need to speak with our GM re that, plus food. Conwy is around £30 PM rate (post 2pm) at that time of year.

Based on all suggestions above, here's a suggested schedule so far. It includes @Radbourne2010's kind offer of SAOL - but please forgive me if I jumped the gun! It's just trying to get organised...

ITINERARY

Tue 26 Oct North Wales/Conwy (poss 36h double header) (also Fri 29 Oct possible)
Wed 27 Oct SAOL
Thu 28 Oct West Lancs
Fri 29 Oct ??

What do people think about this? And further, if we are to do 3-4 days, how to fill the other date?

Tagging a few of you... @IanM @evemccc @karlcole @Liverbirdie @StevieT @clubchamp98 @casuk

Best,
The Lion

Hi mate, just seen this. Happy to do any NW trips if you've anything booked/looking to book?

The Lion

Visit site
Hi all

So I've finally got an update for you on the North Wales GC situation.

Our GM office has advised I can sign on 3 visitors at a time @ £20 each. If there are more than my allocated three sign-ons, it will be £40 in the morning and £35 after 1pm each. We can divide the total fees up to keep the cost pp down.

Tues 26 Oct and Fri 29 Oct there are morning times available. Wed 27 Oct we can play after 12.

Catering is affordable; they currently do sarnies, toasties, and a variety of lunch (and evening) dishes. Hopefully more food to come as things ease up...

There's also an option of doing a 36 day if people fancy a wallop round Conwy over the bay (it's literally 10 mins drive!)...

What do people think?

Over to you... @IanM @@evemccc @@karlcole @@Liverbirdie @@StevieT @@clubchamp98 @@casuk

Thanks everyone
The Lion

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Well done on the scurrying around... I will need to work round the game I have at W Lancs on 28th. I will be heading up M5 and M6 to Southport. A diversion via N Wales isn't ideal, BUT if there's something going on I could be persuaded... it would have to be Wednesday or the Friday.

To clarify, we are talking North Wales GC in Llandudno, and Conwy GC...there is also Maesdu, next door to North Wales (what's that like?)

It is over 4 hours drive from Chepstow, I could travel to N Wales on Tue - but I could work around what anyone else wants to do... or if we cant get traction, we could try for a N Wales bigger trip next summer!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Agreed, well done on getting options.

I was only a maybe with it being midweek, and depends on what else I end up getting booked in over the coming months.

Currently it is -

July - surrey weekend, Hillside, NI late in the month.

August - NI 1st week, possibly a cambridge weekend in the middle, Cruden/Moray etc at the end

September - woodhall/yorkshire/centurion weekend and possibly another

I'll see if have any holidays / cash left come October, but better building it around definites, rather than me. If a week or two before, I'm interested will check in with you for a possible addition, or may even come just for 1 day, as want to play North Wales GC again, some great par 3's. Golf empire may also have other late winter opens added by then, and may mix something in with that.

The Lion

Visit site
Well done on the scurrying around... I will need to work round the game I have at W Lancs on 28th. I will be heading up M5 and M6 to Southport. A diversion via N Wales isn't ideal, BUT if there's something going on I could be persuaded... it would have to be Wednesday or the Friday.

To clarify, we are talking North Wales GC in Llandudno, and Conwy GC...there is also Maesdu, next door to North Wales (what's that like?)

It is over 4 hours drive from Chepstow, I could travel to N Wales on Tue - but I could work around what anyone else wants to do... or if we cant get traction, we could try for a N Wales bigger trip next summer!

Thank you. That’s all good. Please keep us posted on your thoughts.

Yes, it’s in Llandudno. Maesdu is nice although I’ve never played it - even after 18 months as an NWGC member! Conwy may be a better choice for you by picking the Curtis Cup venue after you’ve travelled all that distance!

If North Wales proves to be a bit out the way for people, we could look at something nearer Liverpool. Ormskirk, Delamere Forest, Sandiway, Wallasey (on County Card), Prestbury, Stockport, Wilmslow all around 45 mins from here. SAOL was also mentioned and that’s just 55 mins from ‘Pool. Just an idea.

I also love the idea of a Forum trip to North Wales next summer…so many options there, so I know everyone will love it! Good idea! ?

Agreed, well done on getting options.

I was only a maybe with it being midweek, and depends on what else I end up getting booked in over the coming months.

Currently it is -

July - surrey weekend, Hillside, NI late in the month.

August - NI 1st week, possibly a cambridge weekend in the middle, Cruden/Moray etc at the end

September - woodhall/yorkshire/centurion weekend and possibly another

I'll see if have any holidays / cash left come October, but better building it around definites, rather than me. If a week or two before, I'm interested will check in with you for a possible addition, or may even come just for 1 day, as want to play North Wales GC again, some great par 3's. Golf empire may also have other late winter opens added by then, and may mix something in with that.

Thank you.

If you have a spare place on any of those rounds booked please, I may be interested if prices aren’t too wallet-eating. Might be in Scotland around the same time as you are too. Much TBC.

As for North Wales, as you’re local we can go almost anytime. It’s doable in an afternoon. Sat/Sunday arvo or weekday eve. Just DM me. Last minute often works too. And yes October too!

Would be interested in winter opens also, especially if they’re cheaper than rack rates…

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can’t play 28th it’s my sons birthday.
Looking to get a holiday around then so can’t commit to anything really.
I will host three at my club if I am here
But dates are up in the air for me atm.