Formby/Royal Liverpool Dunghill cup new joint thread March 16/17th

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well all, after a marathon committee meeting lasting all of 10 minutes, me and Birchy have come up with the following:-

The draw was witnessed at West lancs golf club by some of the worst dressed, ugly and talentless individuals you could wish to meet, but enough about team "Mancunia".

The draw, and subsequent pairings are as follows:-

Schwartzy
Andy
Tom
Yerman

Birchy 19 + Junior 11
Liverbirdie 7 + Podgster 21

Karl102
Akie
StuC 18 + Rob2

GJBike 13 + Fat tiger 10 (and fat tigers nurse 38DD from what he tells me)
Scouser 24 + 2Blue 12

Louisea 19 + Peterlav 6
Fish 23 + Qwerty 9

If the 6 individuals want to sort out their own competition on the day, that would be great, but if you can sort it out amongst yourselves, so me and Birchy have more time to check and sort all the other pairs cards out.

I've put me and Birchy out first in the pairs, so we have more time to check the cards, as they come in. Please mark both scores on one card but also include a seperate line for the betterball score.As is normal for betterball pairs competitions 3/4 handicap will apply.

Prizes (pairs)

We have suggested £15 each in total (for both rounds), as we have already paid for all the green fees, if this is ok with everyone. If not happy PM me or Birchy, and if a few aren't comfortable, we'll change it to a tenner. If £15 there will be a pot of £210.

£80 to the winning pair
£50 to the runners up pair
£40 to 3rd place pair
£20 to a nearest the pin at Formby
£20 to a nearest the pin at Royal Liverpool.

The betterball pairs stableford score will count on all 18 holes at Formby, the front 9 at Royal Liverpool, but on the back 9 at Royal Liverpool both scores will count, just to liven it up down the final stretch.:thup:

No-one can win more than 2 prizes (so as not to embarass Birchy again). :ears:

I'd say to arrive at 9.15-9.30 so we can sort everything out, and give me and Burchy time to still get "in the zone". The soup and sandwiches are served after the round.

The Sunday night is Paddy's night in Liverpool, which is always a fantastic night out, so if my maths serve me right, we have the following:-

StuC, Scouser,Liverbirdie,PeterLav,Podgster are all Liverpool based so no excuses and Rob,Fish,fat tiger are staying over anyway, so we have at least 9 going out hopefully, but it would be great if we could have some of the Manchester/Nwest brethren also coming out afterwards.

I can put 2 up in our house (Birchy has first dibs BTW) if one brings a sleeping bag, or their own quilt (no scouser does not count as a quilt), I'm not sure if any of the other scousers can do the same, or if Karl can put their kid up. It would just save them on hotel fees, and also doing another journey across again for Royal Liverpool.

I think by the time we all get in,have our sarnies, sort the cards out it will be about 3.30-4.00, so if we can meet up in Liverpool town centre about 6.00, we should be fine. It would also be great if any of the "individuals" could also join us.

Come on, you know you'll enjoy it!:whoo:

Let banter ensue..................

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Isn't the runner up and 3rd too close, why not make the pins £25 each and £30 for 3rd?

Do I play with Dave on both days or....

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to add to the details by LB.

Royal Liverpool tee times are 11:20, 11:28, 11:36 & 11:44.

Groups will be arranged in score order with lowest going out first for those in the Dunghill links cup. Will arrange with the individual players on the day whether they want to go out in first group or last as i did offer travelling players pick of their tee time.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Isn't the runner up and 3rd too close, why not make the pins £25 each and £30 for 3rd?

Do I play with Dave on both days or....

Only thing with that is if the 3rd place goes less to say £30 then third place will only be getting their money back? Wont feel like winning much will it?

Yeah mate, Dave will be your partner for both days just like they do in the Dunhill links cup that they play up in Scotland. Scores count over two days like LB has mentioned. Full 18 at Formby and front 9 at Hoylake are betterball and back 9 at Hoylake both to score to keep all teams in with a chance and make it very interesting :)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Only thing with that is if the 3rd place goes less to say £30 then third place will only be getting their money back? Wont feel like winning much will it?

Yeah mate, Dave will be your partner for both days just like they do in the Dunhill links cup that they play up in Scotland. Scores count over two days like LB has mentioned. Full 18 at Formby and front 9 at Hoylake are betterball and back 9 at Hoylake both to score to keep all teams in with a chance and make it very interesting :)

OK I've got it now, lost track of it at one point ;)

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK I've got it now, lost track of it at one point ;)

Its not the usual type of format so im sure there will be more questions from folk on here in due course :). It should be a good laugh and a new golfing experience for most. Add in the two superb courses and it will certainly be one to remember i reckon.

fat-tiger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
pairs stay the same for monday , but are you mixing the 4balls up aswell ?

well done boys looks good and looking forward to it

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
pairs stay the same for monday , but are you mixing the 4balls up aswell ?

well done boys looks good and looking forward to it

Yeah mate, the pairs stay the same but the fourballs will be different. The plan is to do the groups in score order for the second day but switch any that are the same as the day before so everybody gets to play with different people etc.

fat-tiger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yeah mate, the pairs stay the same but the fourballs will be different. The plan is to do the groups in score order for the second day but switch any that are the same as the day before so everybody gets to play with different people etc.

cheers birchy thanks for that,

i best get some practice in then hardly played since new year

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suppose ...........and I did beat Stu_C and Bluewolf... Major sclaps them for me

well at least Bluewolf was :whoo:

Cheers mate. I'm glad that you enjoyed it.... My game has disintegrated since Sunday. Played Monday and Today and you would have comfortably beaten me on both days, even with your shin striking overswing.....

Gutted that Im missing this but theres I'll be on my way over to my spiritual homeland in Galway. I'll raise a glass to you all when I get there.. Have fun everyone...

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers mate. I'm glad that you enjoyed it.... My game has disintegrated since Sunday. Played Monday and Today and you would have comfortably beaten me on both days, even with your shin striking overswing.....

Gutted that Im missing this but theres I'll be on my way over to my spiritual homeland in Galway. I'll raise a glass to you all when I get there.. Have fun everyone...

Less over swing = less shots....again as I found out today...You want a lesson?

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site

Hope you get your game back soon pal! Have a good time over there too, let us know how you get on etc. Ive never even been to ireland never mind played golf there yet! :)

There will be plenty more meets, got some nice ideas in the pipeline ;).

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
looking forward to this now. It should be a great couple of days.

If I can clear it with the Gaffer I'll look into booking a room in Liverpool for the Sunday night, I wouldn't want to inflict my snoring on anyone else so I'll sort a room out.
Also is any of us sensible enough to know when to stop drinking so were not wiped out on the Monday at Hoylake. If we're starting at 6 it could Get messy..:eek:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
looking forward to this now. It should be a great couple of days.

If I can clear it with the Gaffer I'll look into booking a room in Liverpool for the Sunday night, I wouldn't want to inflict my snoring on anyone else so I'll sort a room out.
Also is any of us sensible enough to know when to stop drinking so were not wiped out on the Monday at Hoylake. If we're starting at 6 it could Get messy..:eek:

If we have a decent score from Sunday, we can keep each other in check Dave, I'll be happy with a few beers, a ruby and bed.

I know Fat-Tiger and 2Blue are in the Travel Lodge at New Brighton which I was originally at also but I've moved to the Holiday Inn now at Hoylake as I got the room for free ;)

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
If we have a decent score from Sunday, we can keep each other in check Dave, I'll be happy with a few beers, a ruby and bed.

Sounds good to me Robin:thup:
Im officially rubbish at drinking nowadays but I still don't know when enough is enough.

If Birchy and Junior have a decent score after formby I'll get Birchy on the Jägerbombs!!