THE RESPONSIBILITY TO RETURN SCORES FROM COMPETITIONS

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
No idea, but since that is what the majority of my club play, out side of competitions, that answers the question, if true.

Whos going to police that though?

If you pre register a round and enter scores and someone varifies, who would ever know that you were playing a 4BBB with your mates? Or care?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Whos going to police that though?

If you pre register a round and enter scores and someone varifies, who would ever know that you were playing a 4BBB with your mates? Or care?
And there you have the issue with WHS .................

It relies almost totally on player integrity and there is little opportunity for verification by the handicap committee.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
(I've skipped most of the pages so sorry if it's been said.)

If you don't register your score doesn't the system give you a net double for every hole? So if you don't put your card in you'll be given an astronomical score? Nice easy way to get the handicap up?

sunshine

Visit site

If you don't register your score doesn't the system give you a net double for every hole? So if you don't put your card in you'll be given an astronomical score? Nice easy way to get the handicap up?

I NR'd the only competition I played after WHS went live. There is a pretty big spike on the graph of my scores :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought NRs couldn't happen under WHS.
What does that mean? If you write NR on the card and stop filling it in, or chuck it in the bin, then you've NRed? How can a system stop you doing that? :LOL:

Perhaps what you mean is exactly what I said above - it's not recorded as NR but they record net double bogey for every hole that's not registered. Giving you quite the large score.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

There are a minimum number of holes which have to be played for a score to be acceptable. If you return incorrect scores you will be DQd. If you don't enter any scores you will be subject to the Committee's disciplinary process (presumably the same as for Supplementary scores) but the card will not be considered.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting about the discrepancies between scoring in the winter. Where we are, it's often the other way round for many, with it much more difficult to score well in the winter. There are several guys that play off 5ish that will play to that all summer when it's firm, but can't reach 3 of our Par 4's or any of the Par 5's in the winter - meaning they almost always shoot closer to 80 than 75 between October - March.

For me, this is such a huge benefit of the WHS that their handicap would be more fluid through the year, allowing them to still be competitive in winter when the cold / wet conditions aren't as much of a hindrance to some of our younger 5 handicappers.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are a minimum number of holes which have to be played for a score to be acceptable. If you return incorrect scores you will be DQd. If you don't enter any scores you will be subject to the Committee's disciplinary process (presumably the same as for Supplementary scores) but the card will not be considered.
Wasn't the card treatment for a Supp, that of 0.1 back whether card returned or not? I read it as the same under WHS ..... just becomes one of your last 20.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
But how does anything differ from putting in a Supplementary previously?
There are 2 changes - the main difference is with online score entry the score goes directly to WHS where a supplementary score was held in the system until approved by the handicap committee. In reality it has to do this if it is to be included in the PCC calculation overnight.

The second change is due to Covid where there are no physical cards to check.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So around 40 players, £2 in the pot paid out to 5 places would count as a competition and thus round should be pre-registered ?
This describes the Sat am roll-up competition that I play in, and at least for as long as we use the club tee booking and round scoring recording system (IG) to manage tee times it is going to be considered a 'counting' round for WHS purposes.

As we play the roll-up as a singles stableford competition open to anyone in the club, the club has determined that in the spirit of what WHS is intended to achieve it will be considered a 'counting' comp and my entry into it will be my pre-registration. I was dead against this until I saw the light and changed my mindset over WHS 'counting' rounds. And now the fact of it 'counting' doesn't bother me one iota. I suspect that it will remain a 'counting' comp even if the membership decides we wish to ditch tee booking as this was only introduced when coming out of lockdown#1.

The same is to apply for all the singles club rollups.

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
What does that mean? If you write NR on the card and stop filling it in, or chuck it in the bin, then you've NRed? How can a system stop you doing that? :LOL:

Perhaps what you mean is exactly what I said above - it's not recorded as NR but they record net double bogey for every hole that's not registered. Giving you quite the large score.

The expectation under both CONGU or WHS has always been that if you enter a comp or register for Supplementary/General Play, you will return a scorecard with a clear directive that you continue to record scores even after you NR a hole in medal play.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The expectation under both CONGU or WHS has always been that if you enter a comp or register for Supplementary/General Play, you will return a scorecard with a clear directive that you continue to record scores even after you NR a hole in medal play.
Well, here in the real world nobody did that, but they felt that it didn't matter because they were just getting 0.1 back regardless. Whereas now they get net double bogey for all the remaining holes not filled in, they might get a rude awakening when they look at their handicap record.

Yes for sure, I know that bit.

But I'm querying the statement that we were obliged to continue writing scores for each hole once we'd lost the will to live...
Yeah, what's the point. I would have thought most people stop putting out and all sorts once they've NRed since they're essentially just hacking round to keep company with the rest of the group.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

THIS is the problem and where it all falls down. What H/C person would "disipline" a member? Only one that has skin like a Rhino. He/she would be hated and who wants to be hated? Nope. The way to deal with players messing about it to post the scroes on the computer. This then is fired off to England golf and they deal with the culprit. I suggest they block the golfers CDH number for a period of time, therefore blocking any Open comps and home comps / knockouts whatever. It CANNOT be left to the club H/C Sec's to meter out punishment.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But as a user of IG, I still have to upload a photo of my scorecard signed by a marker for both "gp" and competition rounds, in addition to pre-registering and electronically uploading and signing for my score.

that’s interesting.

we are IG too, and not had to submit a photo of the scorecard at all. Just complete the scorecard in the app and submit

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
But as a user of IG, I still have to upload a photo of my scorecard signed by a marker for both "gp" and competition rounds, in addition to pre-registering and electronically uploading and signing for my score.
You don't have to - I presume this is a facility and option that is in IG and your handicap committee have chosen to implement. This doesn't exist for Club V1 and is not required by CONGU.

The other point is still valid in as much as these scores go into WHS directly. If you have photos of each one is someone going to open each one and check the hole by hole scores and the handicap / date / etc to check they are correct and cancel the score if necessary?