THE RESPONSIBILITY TO RETURN SCORES FROM COMPETITIONS

NearHull

Visit site
I’m not an expert on V1 but as I understand it, for a hole not completed you insert a 0 and for a hole not started you leave it blank.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am very interested in the answers the OP‘s question, “What penalty scores are the the various Handicaps Committees going to impose”?
I have just rewritten our Terms of Competition to reflect the impacts from WHS and I am not absolutely clear on the the penalty score addition.
I asked the same question months ago and it went to the county and then to England Golf. The answer that eventually came back was there is no automatic or formulaic penalty score for a card that isn't returned. It is up to the Handicap Committee to allocate a suitable score - presumably one that is equal or higher than the worse score in the playing record.

There is obviously provision in the WHS rules for holes not completed in a medal round as long as at least 9 holes have been scored.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't think any of the 100 odd people I would normally play with during the year will be putting registered rounds in out side of competitions. We all play 4bbb with gimmies.

Registered rounds will be slower. Yes, they shouldn't be, but they will be. Tell some one a shot has meaning, consequences, and they will take longer. Most of my rounds are 4bbb matchplay. Even in a swindle, where I am also doing stableford, but not seriously, because I don'tcare what I score. Do I want my handicap off hit and giggle golf? I don't think so.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We just have to change the way we think of what will be 'counting' rounds. I was concerned over how the nature of our Saturday rollup would change were it to be deemed a 'counting' round - as is what is going to happen. We couldn't have gimmes; we couldn't do X; we couldn't do Y - it would take away the relaxed joshing fun of it all. But all those concerns are - I realise - basically unfounded. I need not have worred so.

My opposition to it being deemed a 'counting' round was quashed when I realised that all I had to do was change my thinking of it being a Handicap Qualifying round. As a Handicap Qualifier I would set off with it in my mind as being a round that will quite likely by itself have an immediate impact on my exact handicap - and that made it 'special'. I have come to think of 'counting' rounds as no more than Yet Another Round that I chuck over the fence into a pot containing another 19 rounds - and if it is in the 8 best of the 20, then, and only then, will it have an impact on my Handicap Index - and if it does due to the nature of how the HI is worked out most of the time the impact will be marginal.

All of a sudden as a 'counting' round, my roll-up friendly 4BBB round with tap-in length gimmes (as that's what most of them are) remains just that. If I miss one of the tap-ins - it really doesn't matter one jot as in the great scheme of things the round isn't going to matter. Because in the WHS system - in general - individual rounds just don't. And so just think of every counting round as just another round that might count - and if it does then great - as it must've been a goodie. And that's the point of it being a 'counting' round...my HI is adjusted to reflect that good round - as it should.

And so with that mind set, the fact that all of the club's roll-ups will be pre-registered as WHS counting rounds, for me, becomes a complete non-issue.

Last edited:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think any of the 100 odd people I would normally play with during the year will be putting registered rounds in out side of competitions. We all play 4bbb with gimmies.

Registered rounds will be slower. Yes, they shouldn't be, but they will be. Tell some one a shot has meaning, consequences, and they will take longer. Most of my rounds are 4bbb matchplay. Even in a swindle, where I am also doing stableford, but not seriously, because I don'tcare what I score. Do I want my handicap off hit and giggle golf? I don't think so.

this is the weird thing to me. I’ve got to the point where my handicap is just a random number associated to me. Does it show I’m good at golf? Sure. But ultimately, it’s not linked to happiness. If i shoot 84 on a registered score, it won’t bother me. I enter every round with the ambition to shoot the best number I can. Whether that is swindle golf, a quick 13 holes after work or a competition.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
this is the weird thing to me. I’ve got to the point where my handicap is just a random number associated to me. Does it show I’m good at golf? Sure. But ultimately, it’s not linked to happiness. If i shoot 84 on a registered score, it won’t bother me. I enter every round with the ambition to shoot the best number I can. Whether that is swindle golf, a quick 13 holes after work or a competition.

It takes all sorts, but in general, I really don't care what I score. I like to hit the ball well, but other than that, no, not really fussed. Worrying about your own score when playing casual 4bbb matchplay is a bit rubbish to me. What? You are going to putt out for a 7, when your partner is in for 5? Not for me.

AliMc

Visit site
I don't agree with submitting general play cards, it will slow down casual golf which is the last thing we need.
We are using the Scottish Golf App to record GP scores, takes about a minute to set up prior to teeing off and we add hole scores after every 3 holes, literally takes about 10 seconds to do this, easy to do as your partner(s) is/are teeing off, doesn't add any significant time at all.

D

Deleted Member 1156

We are using the Scottish Golf App to record GP scores, takes about a minute to set up prior to teeing off and we add hole scores after every 3 holes, literally takes about 10 seconds to do this, easy to do as your partner(s) is/are teeing off, doesn't add any significant time at all.
It's not the recording of scores that will slow down play it's people treating every round like a competition round that worries me.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Worth remembering that there are no longer handicap categories under the WHS and therefore all players can register a general play round for handicap purposes.

Indeed, and I agree with Phil earlier that this will likely be used fairly often by people in this camp as being off a certain number has both pride and practical meaning to lots in this group. Namely that you’re able to qualify for a ‘higher tier’ of amateur comps.

Things like a scratch open with a 5 limit, or the Berkshire open with a 2/3, all the way through to things like the Brabazon at somewhere around 0.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's not the recording of scores that will slow down play it's people treating every round like a competition round that worries me.
But this is the mindset change which somebody referenced earlier, and I tried to point to in my earlier post.

Once people stop seeing them as ‘qualifying’ rounds and just start to see them as part of the normal process of playing 18 holes, I don’t think it will have any impact on overall pace ... other than potentially making club medals / stablefords a bit quicker as it’s not a big build up to the 3 or 4 times a month that you can actually impact your handicap.

AliMc

Visit site
It should help ensure folk have a HI that more closely represents their playing ability & we definitely need that. :p
This is it for me, I started whs playing off 8 (which most folk who play with me consider to be too high given that i played off 5 for a long time) i have submitted 7 GP scores ranging from 77 to 80, 6 of them are now in my best 8 and I'm now off 6, two more scores of 77 or better and I'm down to 5, cr is 72.3 slope 128.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Indeed, and I agree with Phil earlier that this will likely be used fairly often by people in this camp as being off a certain number has both pride and practical meaning to lots in this group. Namely that you’re able to qualify for a ‘higher tier’ of amateur comps.

Things like a scratch open with a 5 limit, or the Berkshire open with a 2/3, all the way through to things like the Brabazon at somewhere around 0.

We had a lot of queries from Cat 1 players prior to the WHS as to why they could not do it to get as many scores as soon as possible. The answer given by County was that it would mean a change to the software which prevented them from doing it and the authorities were not going to pay for the software changes to cover such a short period of time and at a time when major software changes were happening anyway.

AliMc

Visit site
Ok fair point, but on a club medal day you could have 120 or so all marking scorecards, doubtful if you would have that many keeping GP scores but you could I suppose

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

The really elite players are more concerned with WR points now rather than handicaps. That is increasingly the entry criterion.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
But this is the mindset change which somebody referenced earlier, and I tried to point to in my earlier post.

Once people stop seeing them as ‘qualifying’ rounds and just start to see them as part of the normal process of playing 18 holes, I don’t think it will have any impact on overall pace ... other than potentially making club medals / stablefords a bit quicker as it’s not a big build up to the 3 or 4 times a month that you can actually impact your handicap.

In my head, the opposite applies.

Quite often we'll go out and not keep score, pick up short putts and generally just enjoy being on a golf course. Hit OB? So what, not carrying a pencil, so hit another. In the office all week, this is a break.

Each has it's place and time.

AliMc

Visit site
It takes all sorts, but in general, I really don't care what I score. I like to hit the ball well, but other than that, no, not really fussed. Worrying about your own score when playing casual 4bbb matchplay is a bit rubbish to me. What? You are going to putt out for a 7, when your partner is in for 5? Not for me.
Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought that on one of the English Golf appendices it mentioned that you can't record a GP score when playing 4bbb, apologies if I'm wrong

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought that on one of the English Golf appendices it mentioned that you can't record a GP score when playing 4bbb, apologies if I'm wrong

No idea, but since that is what the majority of my club play, out side of competitions, that answers the question, if true.