THE RESPONSIBILITY TO RETURN SCORES FROM COMPETITIONS

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In order to ensure your handicap is based on your current form, the WHS requires players to always return their scores, whether in a competition or a from a general play round. There is no such thing as a "no return" as the system will calculate a score for any holes not completed.

Under the WHS the H/cap Sec is required to apply a "Penalty Score" for players who fail to return a score.
I'm just wondering how other Clubs are intending to handle this.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i though the whole point was you didn't have to return every score and had to nominate your counting scores, i play a fair few bounce games and can't imaging i would be putting many if any of those in still

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We don't always have to return our scores, General Play rounds are optional.
i though the whole point was you didn't have to return every score and had to nominate your counting scores, i play a fair few bounce games and can't imaging i would be putting many if any of those in still
As far as I understand.... ALL scores must be returned from Singles Competitions & those rounds that you've pre-registered to be a 'General Play' round (used to be a Supplementary Score)
Not necessary for bounce games.

D-S

Visit site
As far as I understand.... ALL scores must be returned from Singles Competitions & those rounds that you've pre-registered to be a 'General Play' round (used to be a Supplementary Score)
That's right. Competition and pre registered social score rounds must be submitted.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So around 40 players, £2 in the pot paid out to 5 places would count as a competition and thus round should be pre-registered ?

Yes - the general idea is that these rounds are included so that handicaps can be fairly monitored and maintained for all. Unless you were not playing within the rules of golf (i.e., gimmes in strokeplay) or not playing your measured course (i.e., playing off the white tees on some holes and the yellows on others).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
but isn't that the way it was anyway, even if you NR'd you still had to put the score in, well you did at my place and it was a DQ and auto 0.1 if you didn't

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Rule 2.1 (a) (iii) The Handicap Committee may consider a player to have pre-registered their intent to submit an acceptable score for handicap purposes when playing an authorized format of play in a regular, organized event with other players.

Extract from the Guidance on the Rules : WHS requires that rounds in ‘organized competitions’ in an acceptable format are considered to have been pre-registered. This raises the question as to what comprises an ‘organized competition’? The term is broader than would previously have been considered by most clubs and players. Under WHS, for example, regular informal competitions, often organized as rollups or society events, would now fall into this category. Players have a responsibility to ensure that their scores from such events are returned to their home clubs.

Clubs that regularly hold such events may well find that setting them up as competitions on the computer will make it easier for players to ensure that their scores are returned correctly.

Gimmes are a feature of a lot of roll ups, are will be the easiest way of avoiding the need for every round to count towards handicap if that is what the participants want.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes - the general idea is that these rounds are included so that handicaps can be fairly monitored and maintained for all. Unless you were not playing within the rules of golf (i.e., gimmes in strokeplay) or not playing your measured course (i.e., playing off the white tees on some holes and the yellows on others).
That's what I thought but always good to have it confirmed (y)

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Related to this - I'm very much looking forward to people in general putting more 'qualifying' scores in as it becomes a bit more routine. It should lessen the impact of somebody winning the casual roll-up 4 weeks in a row with 40+ points, and then rocking up in the club competition and doing the same, as they'd not been cut for 4 previous sub-par rounds - despite their 'roll-ups' essentially being competitions.

It should hopefully also remove the burden and stigma people have around club stablefords/medals being 'big serious things' because they affect your handicap. In essence, people shouldn't get so worked up about playing well 2-3 times a month for competitions if they're in the habit of putting cards in. (I appreciate supplementary cards have always existed, but they don't for Cat 1, and a lot of general club members don't use them).

Whilst there will always be some trying to fudge it, if everybody adhered to the principles, the end result should be the entire network of golfers in the UK playing off a handicap which is more reflective of their current scoring - which should lessen the amount of 45+ point stablefords and 59 nett's that appear in the monthly club comps!

If you sign up for a round and then don't put your score in, it'll essentially go down as one of your 12 'non-counting' scores within your last 20 - which is how it should be. People shouldn't be able to cheat the system to not put in bad scores once they've said they're submitting.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On the original question, we have a fair number of NR's, as in after they pick up once, the rest of the scores are a bunch of zero's (if they even bother to hand in the card). It will be hard to persuade the 'usual suspects' to change their ways, so I envisage one warning followed by the penalty score sanction.

D

Deleted member 15344

Related to this - I'm very much looking forward to people in general putting more 'qualifying' scores in as it becomes a bit more routine. It should lessen the impact of somebody winning the casual roll-up 4 weeks in a row with 40+ points, and then rocking up in the club competition and doing the same, as they'd not been cut for 4 previous sub-par rounds - despite their 'roll-ups' essentially being competitions.

It should hopefully also remove the burden and stigma people have around club stablefords/medals being 'big serious things' because they affect your handicap. In essence, people shouldn't get so worked up about playing well 2-3 times a month for competitions if they're in the habit of putting cards in. (I appreciate supplementary cards have always existed, but they don't for Cat 1, and a lot of general club members don't use them).

Whilst there will always be some trying to fudge it, if everybody adhered to the principles, the end result should be the entire network of golfers in the UK playing off a handicap which is more reflective of their current scoring - which should lessen the amount of 45+ point stablefords and 59 nett's that appear in the monthly club comps!

If you sign up for a round and then don't put your score in, it'll essentially go down as one of your 12 'non-counting' scores within your last 20 - which is how it should be. People shouldn't be able to cheat the system to not put in bad scores once they've said they're submitting.

I’m going to be honest and suggest that not much is going to change

99% of peoples roll ups include gimmies and that’s not going to change for most people because most people are just out there to have a game of golf without any worries on handicap etc

So whilst you will get a few more pre registering rounds the high majority of club golfers won’t bother - it’s not much different to a supplementary round. People will continue having social rounds for the social and enjoyment wigh gimmies etc and comps rounds for handicaps etc

Edit - I do see old cat 1 putting more in though ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

This totally contradicts what you said in your OP.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't agree with submitting general play cards, it will slow down casual golf which is the last thing we need.