• YES

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • NO

Votes: 49 74.2%

• Total voters

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The format is Singles Stableford on a Q-course in Summer with money prizes & no gimmies.
Captain describes it as a 'fun day' for everyone to enjoy themselves.
It satisfies all the requirements for an 'acceptable score' so H/cap Sec expects all to be returned.
QUESTION? Should you have to?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Yeah I'd side with how seriously you individually take the event? Some may have a fun day out with booze etc, others may go with a competition mentality.

You cant be trying to make the best possible score if you're 8 deep can you? (overkill with 8 I know)

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends how much booze is involved 🤪
Yeah I'd side with how seriously you individually take the event? Some may have a fun day out with booze etc, others may go with a competition mentality.

You cant be trying to make the best possible score if you're 8 deep can you? (overkill with 8 I know)
It's a no drug testing event.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So do you exclude the Clubs worst Bandit who certainly wont submit his score & wins lots of such events?
Good conundrum. If he is the worst bandit and you don't trust his scores maybe someone needs to be blunt with him and tell him what you all think. Exclude him from either the trip or the competition.

I suspect that one of our regular posters on this type of issue would say it also comes down to the club h/c committee to monitor this person, with people reporting him.

RichA

Visit site
I guess it would depend whether the club's competitions committee are designating it as an "official" competition or it's just a social away day.
If it's a social away day then I would have thought it's a GP round and up to each player whether they register to record it on EG or not. If that was the case and I knew somebody was effectively going to cheat to win serious money I wouldn't be putting my name down.
If they are known to be cheating isn't anyone challenging them?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looks like it meets the definition of a competition (per CONGU), so scores should be submitted for handicapping.
With out doubt it's THIS ^^^^
Faced this a couple of years ago & refunded one of our Past Captains who didn't want his score submitting. As a Captain in charge of an event you have a responsibility to ensure that the correct things are done. Well that's how I felt.
In the end I played it as a B/ball rather than have to deal with the kind of conversations we see here.
Interestingly, the following year the Captain declared his Day 'none Q' & that past Captain went along. Oh, what horror when our H/cap Sec over rode things & rightly registered all the scores!!
Who said Captains can do what they want!!

D

Deleted member 15344

As with most charity social days - allow people to make their own choice if they want to submit a card.

But take all the cards away after so when it comes to annual reviews etc you evidence

RichA

Visit site
Bearing in mind people always ask, when events are advertised I don't understand why it isn't stated from the beginning, "This IS/ISN'T* a handicap qualifying event (*delete as appropriate).
Words like may, should or "the handicap secretary expects" just invite questions and debate.
Our place is no different.

Swango1980

Visit site
Here is a novel idea. All card go towards handicap AND everyone have fun.

It's all very well saying that scores don't go on a players handicap record, until the bitter comments occur afterwards when the winner on 45 points gets no cut, nor the other 3 or 4 players who shot good scores. At which point you'll have players screaming out that only the good scores should be registered and submitted after the round, completely defeating the purpose of pre-registration.