Should our Annual 'Past Captain's Cup' be a qualifier??

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Because many people believe that when they have a scorecard in their hand it adds pressure onto themselves and it loses a little bit of the enjoyment and fun factor

Let’s all remember that not everyone is wired the same

I certainly wouldn’t expect away social days for people to put their scorecards in if they didn’t want too
Golfers need to enjoy their hobby at the end of the day first and foremost- enjoyment is the key not handicaps

Congu will never adopt a “all scores count” mantra as it misses the whole point of Amatuer club golf

The option is there for people who want to enter their scores in social or society rounds - if people don’t want to do that and keep them seperate from comp rounds then that’s all good

What next - scores entered of trips away
Believe me, I've had this convo with SG when they tried to point out that anything "organised" should lead to a card being submitted for handicap.

I suspect they have a taregt to show how well WHS and their new App are doing, and a large part of that will be number of rounds submitted for handicap, hence why they've tried to get us to allocate CDH numbers to every member, even though the majority of our members have no interest at all in gaining a handicap.

When it's not a competition, do I want to submit a score? No I do not, and neither do most folks.

wjemather

Visit site
“organised comps” is the key phrase there

There is no “must” to put in cards from days away , societies , social knocks , swindles etc - the exact sort of “fun” rounds of golf that people want to play to enjoy their hobby
See CONGU's guidance (quoted many times in threads on here) for what is regarded as an organised comp. Regular informal comps, e.g. society events and rollups (swindles) are considered as such and scores must be submitted for handicapping.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Define organised?

I'm playing this afternoon, got several folk coming over. It took some organising. No one is keeping score formally, its just a get together. But tomorrow morning is a club medal. We all know the difference.

Some folk seem to want ban the former, and all golf to be like the latter.:ROFLMAO:

Why is that?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Additional thought. Our Seniors have a Stableford every Monday, always non qualifying. But the one every Wednesday is always qualifying.

I guess the Authorities might come down and picket the first tee on Monday! :ROFLMAO:
Ian, as per my post #4, absolutely that Monday friendly should count, not saying I agree, but the authorities think it should.

D

Deleted member 3432

I wonder how individual clubs are managing this?

We have 2 opportunities a week to play in comps, the seniors 3.

I've only played 3 comps so far but will play in them when I can and don't intend to submit cards outside of comps, that's my practice as far as I'm concerned.

There is no pressure from the club as far as I can tell to submit more scores, are other clubs putting pressure on players to enter more cards?

Swango1980

Visit site
We turn up most weekends, about 8-16 of us, and often put in a couple of quid. Over the winter period, one guy (playing in the 20's), seemed to win most weeks. And, with scores in the high 30's / 40's. And, a few of us stood no chance. I always put my general play scores in for handicap, although him and a handful of others didn't bother. I think he genuinely wants a lower handicap, but maybe he feels that stress factor and feels if he commits to it, he'll submit a bad score.

Anyway, whatever his reasoning, I and a few others have decided we'll no longer put money into the pot unless everyone else that does submits their score. If we are going to be playing golf using our handicaps, it is only fair those handicaps are reviewed after each score.

However, I do get baffled that some (many) golfers feel that submitting a score for handicap means the round of golf is no longer "fun". Genuinely, why? Does that mean if they play in competitions, they are not having fun? If so, why enter? I can understand if the golfer has committed to playing a practice round, where they know they'll play all sorts of funky shots. But that is rare, as we are often going out to try and have a decent game and beat our mates. Maybe it is because some like to play gimmes. However, if a put is short enough to be a gimme, it can't be too stressful to just tap it in? Maybe some falsely think they need to play medal and can't pick their ball up if they mess up a hole, but at least we all know in here that is a false impression as well.

Personally, now that I've got used to submitting scores, I think it adds to social golf, rather than diminishes it. It gives me one more thing to fight for.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
“organised comps” is the key phrase there

There is no “must” to put in cards from days away , societies , social knocks , swindles etc - the exact sort of “fun” rounds of golf that people want to play to enjoy their hobby
Should we be putting in our cards from the H4H day in October ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
We turn up most weekends, about 8-16 of us, and often put in a couple of quid. Over the winter period, one guy (playing in the 20's), seemed to win most weeks. And, with scores in the high 30's / 40's. And, a few of us stood no chance. I always put my general play scores in for handicap, although him and a handful of others didn't bother. I think he genuinely wants a lower handicap, but maybe he feels that stress factor and feels if he commits to it, he'll submit a bad score.

Anyway, whatever his reasoning, I and a few others have decided we'll no longer put money into the pot unless everyone else that does submits their score. If we are going to be playing golf using our handicaps, it is only fair those handicaps are reviewed after each score.

However, I do get baffled that some (many) golfers feel that submitting a score for handicap means the round of golf is no longer "fun". Genuinely, why? Does that mean if they play in competitions, they are not having fun? If so, why enter? I can understand if the golfer has committed to playing a practice round, where they know they'll play all sorts of funky shots. But that is rare, as we are often going out to try and have a decent game and beat our mates. Maybe it is because some like to play gimmes. However, if a put is short enough to be a gimme, it can't be too stressful to just tap it in? Maybe some falsely think they need to play medal and can't pick their ball up if they mess up a hole, but at least we all know in here that is a false impression as well.

Personally, now that I've got used to submitting scores, I think it adds to social golf, rather than diminishes it. It gives me one more thing to fight for.

Why don’t people find playing with a score on the line not fun? Because it’s easier to claim a score when they haven’t actually holed out or played by the rules. All those gimmies from 2ft, that are actually more like 4 or 5ft. Casual drops rather than taking proper penalties. It’s much harder to post a proper score than a pretend one.

And it’s the reason so many ? their ? playing in a monthly medal.

D

Deleted member 23270

Golfers need to develop a more healthy relationship with their handicap. At some point CONGU may/will likely adopt 'all scores count' as mandatory, so it's probably best to get used to the idea of putting these scores in now.
Some people aren't the least bit interested in their handicap, they play golf to spend 4 hours in the company of people they like. It shouldn't be compulsory to enter a score every time.

D

Deleted member 23270

See CONGU's guidance (quoted many times in threads on here) for what is regarded as an organised comp. Regular informal comps, e.g. society events and rollups (swindles) are considered as such and scores must be submitted for handicapping.
I run the Friday rollup at my club, we don't even mark cards as it is all done on trust and honesty. We just want to enjoy each other's company. Plenty of opportunities to submit cards in competitions on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I run the Friday rollup at my club, we don't even mark cards as it is all done on trust and honesty. We just want to enjoy each other's company. Plenty of opportunities to submit cards in competitions on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays.
Is there a prize pot?

wjemather

Visit site
Some people aren't the least bit interested in their handicap, they play golf to spend 4 hours in the company of people they like. It shouldn't be compulsory to enter a score every time.
It isn't (yet), unless you're playing in a regular organised individual competition that complies with the rules of golf.

People who aren't interested in their handicap aren't the ones who have a problem with this change.

D

Deleted member 23270

It isn't (yet), unless you're playing in a regular organised individual competition that complies with the rules of golf.

People who aren't interested in their handicap aren't the ones who have a problem with this change.
Yet is the key word in your reply. It shouldn't ever be compulsory to submit a card when playing social golf.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Yet is the key word in your reply. It shouldn't ever be compulsory to submit a card when playing social golf.

That's the issue. I think some are saying it is. That's daft as it is not enforceable.

If the guidance is "MUST," I wonder why our club allow the Seniors to play a non qualifying comp on a Monday.

I guess if pressed, they'll revert to 4bbb on Mondays.

On the other point. Everyone is different. Some folk can't play unless there is something on the line, some people are capable of going out to enjoy the surroundings and fresh air with no score being recorded. You don't have to agree with either position, but you can't deny they both exist.

I've never seen a communication telling me all play should be entered in the record. If it wasn't for the chat on here, I wouldn't know it existed.

Was it an after thought when the Rulies discovered that WHS isn't consistent, unless everyone puts in a similar number of cards per month?