Choosing golf course to be a member

KentRed007

Visit site
Hi,

I have now been playing for just over 2 years and been a member of my current club for most of that time.

I’m considering a change due to it being a fairly flat parkland course that suffers heavily when it rains. It is under sea level and it rains a lot!

There is a course that is equidistant distance from my house but is on much higher ground and so is t impacted anywhere near as much.
The other course is more expensive but offers access to a par 3 course in addition to the main course. The slope index is higher for this course compared to my existing course.

I’ve started to make a group of golfing buddies at my current course which would be a shame to leave but, I’m hoping that I’m good company enough to find a new group at any club.

I’ve played the proposed new club 4/5 times and have always enjoyed it.

Anyone else been in this situation before, any advice would be appreciated. Ultimately it is my decision but I thought it worth asking.

Many thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 31467

Is it Littlestone you are considering? If so it holds up very well in the winter and is a good test of golf. Ask the club if they have rollups etc to help you integrate.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I think you've answered your own question.
Sounds like a drier, better course and as many friends as I have made at my golf club, that would never be a reason for me not joining a better club if I felt there was one.

And if it is Littlestone, that's a cracking course!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Most clubs these days have a new members what’s app group. Works extremely well at our place.

In my experience, irrelevant of the club, Golfers just want to golf and are more than happy to play with anyone.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Is it Littlestone you are considering? If so it holds up very well in the winter and is a good test of golf. Ask the club if they have rollups etc to help you integrate.

Littlestone doesn't have a par 3 course. The adjoining Littlestone Warren course has par 4's and 5's

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Lots to consider when swapping clubs.
I personally wouldn't be too bothered about changing clubs just for a drier winter course as golf is pretty miserable this time of year regardless of where you are, although admittedly some courses hold up better than others.

But, I'd base my decision on many other factors.
I would want the following.
A nice course that is easy to walk around 3 or 4 times a week.
Plenty of comps.
An easy tee booking system
Friendly existing members
Good quality practice facilities
A good social scene

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Lots to consider when swapping clubs.
I personally wouldn't be too bothered about changing clubs just for a drier winter course as golf is pretty miserable this time of year regardless of where you are, although admittedly some courses hold up better than others.

But, I'd base my decision on many other factors.
I would want the following.
A nice course that is easy to walk around 3 or 4 times a week.
Plenty of comps.
An easy tee booking system
Friendly existing members
Good quality practice facilities
A good social scene

To be fair some courses should be shut for winter they get in such a state.

HPIMG

Visit site
Move clubs I was in the same situation last year with my old club being nice in the summer but really poor in winter. You will probably just end up hating the course if you stay. I moved to a club less than 10 mins away and it must just be on a better bit of land and it’s great to play in winter.

Jason.H

Visit site
A friend decided to join a course a few miles up the road. Twice the price and big joining fee. This winter they are doing major works on 9 greens and next winter the other 9 greens. He joined in August and had an interview ect and they never mentioned the planned works.
Incidentally I also had an interview and was accepted but decided not to join as we’re looking to move to the Lake District in a year or two.
Worth asking about future plans when committing to joining a new club.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
3 of us were in a similar boat 6 years ago.
Me, Fragger and CVG were all members at a club in town...parkland, clay, fairly flat = rubbish in winter.
Mainly due to a bloody great high speed train line about to be built through the course we moved to a similar club at a similar price.
2 1/2 years into that and we were fed up with the mud, bit the bullet and joined a better course/club in the chalk hills close by.
Expensive but rarely closes for rain. We can play every day.
Barely see a puddle.
Do it ....move...if you want to play without sinking in mud...do it.