Nearly there.

D

Deleted member 1147

I’d love to make proper use of our practice facilities.
See have a full length range, short game area etc
But I struggle to hit more than say 20 balls without seizing up & putting is even worse.

D

Deleted member 1147

If I had a quid for everyone I've heard say, "my home course is the toughest around," I'd be paying someone to type this!🤣🤣
Not just about difficulty, the better courses often attract the better players.
Hollinwell is fairly close to me. They have dozens of excellent players, and not just youngsters. Some were county players decades ago.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’d love to make proper use of our practice facilities.
See have a full length range, short game area etc
But I struggle to hit more than say 20 balls without seizing up & putting is even worse.
I know what you mean James
I either can hit 30 or 40irons if my backs bad,sometimes when it loosens up I can hit 200 pitches and chips.
One thing I do know is when I chip in on the course I can safely say it’s down to the work I put in.
I would actually practice more if I didn’t have so many niggles.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great facilities to have.

My place has an 18 hole and 9 hole course and range but no short game area.

I don't really have the time like I used to go and work on yardages etc.

Wedge approaches were the weakest part of my game last year. Didn't knock many pins out from 100 yards or so after getting in great positions. It really was the difference between over par and threatening under. I'd be making pars without giving myself genuine birdie looks which is what you want with a wedge in hand.
100 yards and in essential as you know.
Agree you need time but an hour a day twice a week would make a big difference.
When I was a member at Ilfracombe I never practiced,being 10 minutes away from my course certainly helps.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
If I had a quid for everyone I've heard say, "my home course is the toughest around," I'd be paying someone to type this!🤣🤣

Geordie Shore Gaz vlogged ours buddy and he said it was harder than the courses he’d been playing on the Europro Tour or whatever pro tour he’d been playing in.
Mind you, somebody might have paid him to say it…😂

Genuinely, I played Hoylake in 30mph gusts a couple of months back, and scored better than I would on our course playing the same standard of golf on the day.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Geordie Shore Gaz vlogged ours buddy and he said it was harder than the courses he’d been playing on the Europro Tour or whatever pro tour he’d been playing in.

Genuinely, I played Hoylake in 30mph gusts a couple of months back, and scored better than I would on our course playing the same standard of golf on the day.

I’m not sure I’d put much weight to what Gaz says. Yes he hits a good ball, but he doesn’t half talk some crap.

D

Deleted member 1147

What’s the course rating compared to par?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I’m not sure I’d put much weight to what Gaz says. Yes he hits a good ball, but he doesn’t half talk some crap.

To be fair - he played one out of the farmers field on 16 as the fence posts aren't painted white - so he couldn't be sure it was out of bounds, even though we have the usual 'perimeter fencing' on the scorecard.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
100 yards and in essential as you know.
Agree you need time but an hour a day twice a week would make a big difference.
When I was a member at Ilfracombe I never practiced,being 10 minutes away from my course certainly helps.

Yeah. Bit of practice this season will go a long way.

Just need to get off my behind. 😃

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not just about difficulty, the better courses often attract the better players.
Hollinwell is fairly close to me. They have dozens of excellent players, and not just youngsters. Some were county players decades ago.
That’s situation at my place.

Despite the track being a good one and a decent challenge for the better player, we don’t have many scratch or better players (maybe 3 or 4…though number is increasing) simply I suspect as a result of the course being in an area that has many superb and ‘proper’ championship courses, as well as there being a good few on a par with it.

That said we have a good batch of very good youngsters coming through the academy, girls as well as boys, some hopefully following in the footsteps of their 19yr old leading light +8 CH 😳 Lottie Woad.

Back in the day we would say that our handicap travelled well. Shouldn’t really work under WHS…but I still score well away from home - indeed as well as I can score at home. But I doubt I’d achieve my goals sooner by moving club to one with a course that might be perceived as ‘easier’.

Last edited: