Nearly there.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Slope rating has little impact on scratch golfers.

I'm not getting into a debate about the handicap system mate, but I know lads that play off scratch at local clubs that wouldn't get within 5 shots at our club.
I take your point about slope - but if a course is a tough par 72, it won't produce as many scratch golfers as an easy par 72 etc.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Set myself a few goals this season. Then work and life got in the way, so I didn’t quit make it. Although improvements were made, I’m not unsatisfied with where my game is.

Get down to 5. Managed a low of 6.7. I could have been in the 5s if so was able to use match play rounds.

Shoot under par for 9 holes ✅. Done a few times on our back 9. Shot level once on the harder front 9.

Shoot level for 18 off our back tees ❌. 1 over was the best I managed. That was with a double and a 3 putt on a par 5. 😭

I’m going to do some work on flexibility over the winter and iron out some injuries that are hampering my progress.

D

Deleted member 25172

Keep it positive, ey? Think I’ll stay on the sidelines for this one.

But let me just say this: The more work I’ve put in, the worse I’ve become. 😁

D

Deleted member 1147

No targets for me anymore.
Got to 2 this year, which is beyond the aims of my youth.

No practice and a knackered back make it difficult to keep improving.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done Tony ,that's a great achievement and sure scratch is within sight. Have you put yourself forward for the County?
I need to sharpen up from 100 yards, too many scrambled pars and not enough birdie opportunities

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After getting down to 1.8 at the end of last year,unfortunately due to injuries,my thumb and my back I had a slow start to this year,my handicap went back up to 5.6.
However once fit and over the injuries I quickly returned to 2.0 where I sit now.
I really want to get to scratch this season coming.
I’m working hard,especially from 100 yards and in,and even more so from 50 yards.
The games 100% there and I’m just waiting for the spring,our course is just too wet in places and goes on to temps regularly.
I’ve gained big jumps in distance purely through a better strike.
Sinking the putts I’m sure is the key so have also been practicing putting.

Anyone else close or have a goal they would like to share.
I would love to be able to tell my dad I’m scratch,he would be so proud.
Let’s keep it all positive please.

How are you doing a lot of work on the 100 yards and in?

I really can't stand hitting those shots on mats over and over.

Do you have a nice short game area to do that work?

I also can't stand putting on poor winter greens. I don't do any putting practice over winter ever. Maybe on my mat at home but that's really just to practice my stroke. Keep my eye in so to speak.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would love to say my target is single figures but in all honesty I just don't believe that is possible for me. This year I went up from 13.5 to 14.7. I broke 80 far less times than I did last year. Just can't get any consistency. The new baby hasn't meant any less playing time really but it does mean I can't really get out and practise at all (not that I would much anyway). I've felt for the last few years that if I got to 12 handicap I'd be happy.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Whilst it's pretty hard getting to a lower number whatever your starting point, the more difficult part, from my perspective, is staying there.
It could just have been a purple patch that gets you lower, it doesn't take much, especially with WHS for a few poor rounds to take you straight back up.
Genuine long term improvement is hard to maintain .

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played pretty consistent this year and started the year on 3.8 which gave me 5 shots.

My goal was late 2’s early 3’s. Having shot some ok scores and 4 or 5 rounds of 74 (which is 3 over) i thought I’d finished the season on 3.1.

Then, in a bizarre turn of events the last comp of the year was reduced to 12 holes (still Summer rules) and I went and won the gross and nett prize shooting level par in pretty tough conditions. The handicap sec duly took another shot off me , so I ended up on 2.1, which gives me 3 shots.

I can’t argue given I’ve shot 3 over quite a few times but it feels like a bit of a millstone around my neck atm so I plan to practice a lot through the Winter.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A bogey free medal round ✅
Had only one medal round when where I kept a 6 off my card - not something I find that easy to do as we have four par 5s two of which are SIs 1 and 3 with lots of scope for slips costing a shot, but doing it more regularly will be key to me getting to CH of 6 next year.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Currently 4.3
In my 20 scores, my lowest is a 0.2
I can kid myself that I played to scratch once this year.
Next April that 0.2 will drop off and I could go up to 4.9 or thereabouts.
My goal will be to get back to 4.3
It will mostly be down to having a few good rounds when I appear to putt really well.
I have faith in my ability in all areas of the game including putting, but the putting varies in ways that seem beyond my control. (could it be luck?)

I'm of an age where an upward trend of handicap may become the norm.
If I get to below 4.3 by the end of next year, I will feel joyful.
I shall not be disappointed whatever happens, because I know I will have tried my best.

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
I'm not getting into a debate about the handicap system mate, but I know lads that play off scratch at local clubs that wouldn't get within 5 shots at our club.
I take your point about slope - but if a course is a tough par 72, it won't produce as many scratch golfers as an easy par 72 etc.
The course rating would have been a better measure of the course difficulty for scratch players.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How many scratch players do people have at their clubs on average?

Target for the youth next year will be single figures - he's down at 13.0 now - shot a 7 over 78 for his best score of the year - that's at Dewsbury - There's no way he's shooting sub 80 round Willow Valley at his age and stature.
If I can stay withing 4 shots of him, I'll be happy (currently 3.5 behind him on 16.5)
At the moment we have zero. About 6/7 years ago if you were not off at least 2 you didn’t get in the scratch team. We used to have a load of plus and scratch players that played for the county. They have all moved on due to work or lifestyle changes etc.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Currently 4.3
In my 20 scores, my lowest is a 0.2
I can kid myself that I played to scratch once this year.
Next April that 0.2 will drop off and I could go up to 4.9 or thereabouts.
My goal will be to get back to 4.3
It will mostly be down to having a few good rounds when I appear to put really well.
I have faith in my ability in all areas of the game including putting, but the putting varies in ways that seem beyond my control. (could it be luck?)

I'm of an age where an upward trend of handicap may become the norm.
If I get to below 4.3 by the end of next year, I will feel joyful.
I shall not be disappointed whatever happens, because I know I will have tried my best.
I’m the same. If I don’t come out of the blocks quickly I will shoot back up to around 2.5. My first 3 counters to drop off are differentials of 0, 1.7 and -1.7. I have three non counters to drop off first so I do have a bit of a buffer.

ntommo

Visit site
Currently 8.2 but went up from about 4.8 but still feel like I've played decent golf all year. Seem to have had about 3 bad holes everytime I've played. Bit like 10 pars, 3 bogies, 2 birdies and 3 8s. Just need to try and eliminate the very bad OOB /shank/topped shot which always seem to appear sometime within each 18. Very frustrating as I'm now waiting for it to happen each time I'm out

AAC

Visit site
How many scratch players do people have at their clubs on average?

Target for the youth next year will be single figures - he's down at 13.0 now - shot a 7 over 78 for his best score of the year - that's at Dewsbury - There's no way he's shooting sub 80 round Willow Valley at his age and stature.
If I can stay withing 4 shots of him, I'll be happy (currently 3.5 behind him on 16.5)
I am not sure about the total at my club, but I run a Sunday Eclectic during the winter, this year we have 69 entrants of which 6 are scratch or better the lowest being a youngster off -4.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I'm at 12.6 currently, if I practiced more I think I could break into single figures but only around my home track.

Currently one scratch golfer and our place and one off + (owners son who played college golf in America)

I just cant play as much golf as id like with a young son at home and I'm fine with that. I'm just very hit and miss.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The games 100% there and I’m just waiting for the spring,our course is just too wet in places and goes on to temps regularly.
Is that Oake Manor? If yes good going to that H/Cap on there.

Does your handicap transfer well to Burnham and Berrow with virtually different everything.