Nearly there.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
After getting down to 1.8 at the end of last year,unfortunately due to injuries,my thumb and my back I had a slow start to this year,my handicap went back up to 5.6.
However once fit and over the injuries I quickly returned to 2.0 where I sit now.
I really want to get to scratch this season coming.
I’m working hard,especially from 100 yards and in,and even more so from 50 yards.
The games 100% there and I’m just waiting for the spring,our course is just too wet in places and goes on to temps regularly.
I’ve gained big jumps in distance purely through a better strike.
Sinking the putts I’m sure is the key so have also been practicing putting.

Anyone else close or have a goal they would like to share.
I would love to be able to tell my dad I’m scratch,he would be so proud.
Let’s keep it all positive please.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Goal, single digits. 9.449 would do even if rounded handicaps are obsolete in this brave new WHS world, but 9.4 for old times sake. Got to 10.3 as my season petered out from August with holidays, family, and weather spoiling chances to push for the breakthrough, but still an all time low. The proof will only be when the cards are in, but convinced have the game now to do it.
Scratch is a different summit though. Some achievement if you can do it. It is quite a 'golf conquered' benchmark.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I was hoping I might get my CH down to 6…I didn’t but did get my HI down to 6.7 and a CH of 7 - drifted back up to 7.4 and CH of 8, but a good base to work from next year. Just got to improve my iron striking from 160-180 out.

Other goal was to get it round in level off whites (yellows for starters would do). Got it round in two over a couple of times, so close. Next year.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
After getting down to 1.8 at the end of last year,unfortunately due to injuries,my thumb and my back I had a slow start to this year,my handicap went back up to 5.6.
However once fit and over the injuries I quickly returned to 2.0 where I sit now.
I really want to get to scratch this season coming.
I’m working hard,especially from 100 yards and in,and even more so from 50 yards.
The games 100% there and I’m just waiting for the spring,our course is just too wet in places and goes on to temps regularly.
I’ve gained big jumps in distance purely through a better strike.
Sinking the putts I’m sure is the key so have also been practicing putting.

Anyone else close or have a goal they would like to share.
I would love to be able to tell my dad I’m scratch,he would be so proud.
Let’s keep it all positive please.
What’s your practice like on a daily basis to get that good 😀

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Good work Tony...a matter of time methinks.

Stuck in the 5-7 index range...and to be honest I'm not too unhappy
It would be nice to get down below 4.3, which is my lowest, but it means a lot of hard work.
I go in stages of play...thengame disappears for a few weeks and I can't break 80, then it comes back and I'm in the mid 70s for fun....
The knees aren't going to get any better and the swing speed is beginning to slow so if I I can stick to 5-7 I'll be happy.
I've got better every year I've been at Ellesborough so you never know...

HPIMG

Visit site
I also would love to get to scratch but know myself I’ll need to put a fair bit of work in. I feel as if my short game is there but my driver and woods are my inconsistent clubs.
I went from 9.5 to 5.3 this season but only shot under par twice this year so no where near consistent enough to think about scratch yet but one day hopefully, I have gave myself a target of 5 years and i only took up golf 3 years ago.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I also would love to get to scratch but know myself I’ll need to put a fair bit of work in. I feel as if my short game is there but my driver and woods are my inconsistent clubs.
I went from 9.5 to 5.3 this season but only shot under par twice this year so no where near consistent enough to think about scratch yet but one day hopefully, I have gave myself a target of 5 years and i only took up golf 3 years ago.
Thats a fantastic rate of progress. Good going. Scratch should be within your compass for sure.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never thought I would make it to scratch so never really tried. However, this year has been exceptionally good without putting in the hard hours on the range and I have dropped to a low of 1.1. At the start of the season I was 3.4 which is where I have been around for years. I’m now 61 so i still don’t have any great expectations of making it to scratch. If it happens it happens.

If, by some miracle it does happen, you lot will be the first to know. 😁

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Single figures for me. Finished on 14 this season. Need to hit more fairways to give myself a chance. Chipping out of trees and 3 of the tee doth not a single figures capper make.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
How many scratch players do people have at their clubs on average?

Target for the youth next year will be single figures - he's down at 13.0 now - shot a 7 over 78 for his best score of the year - that's at Dewsbury - There's no way he's shooting sub 80 round Willow Valley at his age and stature.
If I can stay withing 4 shots of him, I'll be happy (currently 3.5 behind him on 16.5)

D

Deleted member 1147

How many scratch players do people have at their clubs on average?

Target for the youth next year will be single figures - he's down at 13.0 now - shot a 7 over 78 for his best score of the year - that's at Dewsbury - There's no way he's shooting sub 80 round Willow Valley at his age and stature.
If I can stay withing 4 shots of him, I'll be happy (currently 3.5 behind him on 16.5)
17 scratch or better at my place

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I managed to get to 8.1 in September and so the goal now is to somehow stay there or lower for a season... at least.
Oh, and try and avoid the temptation of going to Precision Golf and trying the new Mizzies in Feb, along with Vega and Miura irons! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited: