Best Coaches & Club Fitters in North West?

Vincent van Golf

Visit site
Morning

I’ve had lessons from a few well renowned coaches over the year, but I’ve never improved. I’m ready to start from scratch with lessons & get fitted with the right clubs.

I live near St Helens, Merseyside, but happy to travel.

Who do you rate as the best Coach & best Club Fitter in the North West? Would you separate these to get the best of both skills or find a Coach who’s a good Fitter too?

Thanks

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Morning

I’ve had lessons from a few well renowned coaches over the year, but I’ve never improved. I’m ready to start from scratch with lessons & get fitted with the right clubs.

I live near St Helens, Merseyside, but happy to travel.

Who do you rate as the best Coach & best Club Fitter in the North West? Would you separate these to get the best of both skills or find a Coach who’s a good Fitter too?

Thanks
I’d separate the two.

Nick at Tour X in Wigan is imo the best fitter and has the best facilities .

Coach wise it’s about finding a pro you click with. Where you are Barry Taylor is very good (Clarkes Golf Centre )

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’d separate the two.
Haha
I'd do the opposite!
Rationale is that fitters try and make the best with what someone turns up with, even if that's a bit rubbish (and fair play for that, it's their job).

A coach might work on improving a game and then (if necessary) use tweaks to equipment to help things along.

In all honesty though, in this instance as presented, I'd get my lessons done with the teacher first. Worry about sticks later. With this in mind, it's probably worth thinking about why other coaches haven't worked, rather than looking for the "best" coach in a given area. Sometimes it can be a simple as availability - having someone nearby who is normally free can be much more helpful than someone who has to be booked weeks in advance.

Vincent van Golf

Visit site
I’d separate the two.

Nick at Tour X in Wigan is imo the best fitter and has the best facilities .

Coach wise it’s about finding a pro you click with. Where you are Barry Taylor is very good (Clarkes Golf Centre )

I had a couple of lessons at Clarkes years ago with James Robinson. Thought he was really good, but he moved up to Blackpool way.

Haha
I'd do the opposite!
Rationale is that fitters try and make the best with what someone turns up with, even if that's a bit rubbish (and fair play for that, it's their job).

A coach might work on improving a game and then (if necessary) use tweaks to equipment to help things along.

In all honesty though, in this instance as presented, I'd get my lessons done with the teacher first. Worry about sticks later. With this in mind, it's probably worth thinking about why other coaches haven't worked, rather than looking for the "best" coach in a given area. Sometimes it can be a simple as availability - having someone nearby who is normally free can be much more helpful than someone who has to be booked weeks in advance.

My gut feeling is it’s best to combine the two, as the coach is seeing your swing over a longer period. Absolute worst scenario for me is 3 swings with that awful Mizuno thing (love Mizuno irons, just not that device), which IMHO feels horrible. On the 2-3 occasions I’ve been analysed with it, I didn’t feel I swung the same as with a normal club & I’m sceptical of the results. Every time put me in heavy stiff shafts (which I ended up with), don’t think they’re right for me.

I’ve got a couple of ideas who I might go to, but just interested in some suggestions. I might try a lesson with 2 or 3, see which feels right.

Last edited:

Albo

Visit site
I would definitely have lessons with a few pros if you can afford it, find one that you feel you click with and then talk to them about club fitting. The pro I go and see doesn’t even do club fitting, so the combination option may not even be on the table.
Either way the pro in question should be able to steer you towards the type of club (blades, game improvement irons etc) that you need and the sort of flex / weight of shaft he feels will suit your swing. You could then take that info to a dedicated fitter and see what comes out, remember when getting fit, you don’t need to buy what you are fit for if you’re not happy with it. I’m sure the fitters will let you go speak to your pro about what the results of the fitting were (you could even get the track man or whatever device they use, data sent to you to talk through with your pro).

Vincent van Golf

Visit site
I would feel a bit guilty if I was having lessons with a coach, then turned up with new clubs I’d bought somewhere else. And as I already said, when I’ve had fittings in the past, I’ve felt pressure to produce my typical swing (especially with that Mizuno thing), so I feel the data would be more accurate if taken over weeks of lessons. So I would really prefer to keep them together.

I wish I could do this with my own club pro, but he doesn’t have the facilities or carry that many brands, unlike many other pros in the area.

I’ve got a couple of ideas, but was hoping for a couple of suggestions.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ged Walters in TFG Widnes is a great coach/ teacher.
I have had lessons of him in the past.

Would go with Nick at Tour X you can’t get much better around here.
They do lessons at tour x but not sure who the pro is, but knowing Nick he will be top knotch.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would feel a bit guilty if I was having lessons with a coach, then turned up with new clubs I’d bought somewhere else. And as I already said, when I’ve had fittings in the past, I’ve felt pressure to produce my typical swing (especially with that Mizuno thing), so I feel the data would be more accurate if taken over weeks of lessons. So I would really prefer to keep them together.

I wish I could do this with my own club pro, but he doesn’t have the facilities or carry that many brands, unlike many other pros in the area.

You’re the customer.
If you’re paying for lessons you can buy your clubs where you like.
Give him first refusal but if he dosnt do fittings you are free to go where you like.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

You are paying for a service from a coach, you are not declaring undying love for them and promising to forsake all others. All coaches will understand this and will not ban you or anything if you go elsewhere. Yes, you may get a bit of a discount if you go through your pro but you are under no obligation, morally or legally, to just use them

dazzler

Visit site
Barry and John are both good at Clarke's Golf Centre in Rainford.
Fitting wise, Kev there fitted me and was great, know he's fitted a few of my friends who have all had positive experiences.

Vincent van Golf

Visit site
Ged Walters in TFG Widnes is a great coach/ teacher.
I have had lessons of him in the past.

Would go with Nick at Tour X you can’t get much better around here.
They do lessons at tour x but not sure who the pro is, but knowing Nick he will be top knotch.

Thanks. TFG are definitely an option. I had one intro lesson with Ged 2-3 years ago, but work got in the way (as always), so it was wasted. Had lessons off Peter Allan in the past & one off Craig at Haydock, so those 3 are options. Adrian Fryer too, but I would never buy from American Golf.

You’re the customer.
If you’re paying for lessons you can buy your clubs where you like.
Give him first refusal but if he dosnt do fittings you are free to go where you like.

I know that, but as I said, I feel more comfortable if the swing data is built over a longer period. Fittings feel like an exam. Like the 1st tee with 50 watching 😩

Last edited:

Vincent van Golf

Visit site
You are paying for a service from a coach, you are not declaring undying love for them and promising to forsake all others. All coaches will understand this and will not ban you or anything if you go elsewhere. Yes, you may get a bit of a discount if you go through your pro but you are under no obligation, morally or legally, to just use them

Yes understood, but as I said about, I’d like to work with someone who can gather data over a longer period, rather than a one hour fitting.

Barry and John are both good at Clarke's Golf Centre in Rainford.
Fitting wise, Kev there fitted me and was great, know he's fitted a few of my friends who have all had positive experiences.

Clarkes are an option. Along with the other 3 I mentioned.

I just wondered if there was other suggestions.