West Dorset - advice on best club to be a member?

Jonnoj

Visit site
Hi
I’ve noticed lots of Dorset based golfers on here so wondered if I could ask a bit of advice.
I am (probably) moving to the Bridport area later this year and am not sure, based on websites and golfshake reviews, which course would be the best choice to be a member at.
As far as I can see there’s Bridport itself, Lyme Regis and Came Down within reasonable distance.
I’m an 11 handicap golfer in his 50s and play very regularly, normally twice a week and play in all comps that I can and I’m therefore keen to find a club where it’s easy to get a game if you don’t know anyone.
Could anyone who is a member in that area give some advice?
Many thanks

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I would not join Bridport

Lyme Regis is very good but does suffer from course closures due to rolling sea fog coming in from the bay. It can be bright and sunny one minute and quarter of a mile from the club but suddenly it is shrouded in fog. Worth noting that their medals are played on a Sunday not a Saturday.

Came Down is good but there are a couple of greens which need local knowledge about how far short of the green to land the ball to get the ball to stay on the green (no matter how good you are at spinning the ball)

Also worth considering Weymouth which is on the West side of Weymouth.
https://www.weymouthgolfclub.co.uk
Worth noting that to be a Senior at Weymouth it is 60 and over.

In the height of summer none of these courses are quick and easy to get to because the A35 is often rammed with traffic.

Jonnoj

Visit site
Personally I would not join Bridport

Lyme Regis is very good but does suffer from course closures due to rolling sea fog coming in from the bay. It can be bright and sunny one minute and quarter of a mile from the club but suddenly it is shrouded in fog. Worth noting that their medals are played on a Sunday not a Saturday.

Came Down is good but there are a couple of greens which need local knowledge about how far short of the green to land the ball to get the ball to stay on the green (no matter how good you are at spinning the ball)

Also worth considering Weymouth which is on the West side of Weymouth.
https://www.weymouthgolfclub.co.uk
Worth noting that to be a Senior at Weymouth it is 60 and over.

In the height of summer none of these courses are quick and easy to get to because the A35 is often rammed with traffic.

Thank you, that’s very helpful.
yes I’m very used to the driving time issues!
any knowledge of how friendly Lyme Regis is vs the others?

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I looked at each of them and played there whilst I was scouting properties and courses a couple of years ago. Came Down was a nice enough course but there are 3 or 4 holes where no matter how you hit your approach, it is luck where it ends up on the green or over the back. I did like Bridport though but found the club pretty unwelcoming. And there was something about Lyme Regis that I could not put my finger on but gut instinct said to stay away.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thank you, that’s very helpful.
yes I’m very used to the driving time issues!
any knowledge of how friendly Lyme Regis is vs the others?

That is a difficult question to answer. I generally play them as either part of a visiting group or as part of a visiting team, with the latter I have got to know a few players at both courses and would rate them the same.

Like any club I have noticed that there are several roll ups that operate at the clubs.

If I was to chose a club that way it would probably be either Lyme Regis or Weymouth.

Jonnoj

Visit site
I looked at each of them and played there whilst I was scouting properties and courses a couple of years ago. Came Down was a nice enough course but there are 3 or 4 holes where no matter how you hit your approach, it is luck where it ends up on the green or over the back. I did like Bridport though but found the club pretty unwelcoming. And there was something about Lyme Regis that I could not put my finger on but gut instinct said to stay away.

So where did you end up?
I have similar feelings about all three , none are leaping out at me but I guess I’ll go with local when we’ve sorted the housing bit

Jonnoj

Visit site
That is a difficult question to answer. I generally play them as either part of a visiting group or as part of a visiting team, with the latter I have got to know a few players at both courses and would rate them the same.

Like any club I have noticed that there are several roll ups that operate at the clubs.

If I was to chose a club that way it would probably be either Lyme Regis or Weymouth.
Thank you, appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Whilst I haven't played Weymouth for a while, it has had a bit of an unfriendly rep. It also doesn't have the views of the other 3. I live west of Poole, and considered Came Down when my old club closed - I play it every year and love the place in summer. Not sure how any of the three would be in a December medal with a freezing wind though.

Jonnoj

Visit site
Whilst I haven't played Weymouth for a while, it has had a bit of an unfriendly rep. It also doesn't have the views of the other 3. I live west of Poole, and considered Came Down when my old club closed - I play it every year and love the place in summer. Not sure how any of the three would be in a December medal with a freezing wind though.
Haha not much fun I imagine!
Where did you join out of interest?

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played Lyme Regis a couple of years ago and liked the course … and everyone seemed very friendly. I played Came Down last year, but it didn’t seem to have the same social buzz that Lyme did … might just have been a quiet day though. Of the two, I would join Lyme.