Best Professional to Have a Lessons with

Whiteley87

Visit site
Hi All, My 1st Post on here. I am a casual golfer and have played for 2 years. I feel I have good basic's. My handicap is +20. I am wanting a golf coach in the North West of England around Preston area but I am happy to travel

I have been to one of the pro's at Preston Golf Course for an hour and I feel this made my game worse as he was teaching me how I should be standing, how I should swing, how I should hold the club etc. like how if I was a professional golfer this is how they would play - the proper way I suppose

I am looking for a coach who will work with me on how I can improve and who will work with my strengths and weaknesses and I feel the Pro at Preston didn't do this, no offence and nothing against the Pro at Preston its only my opinion it just wasn't right for me

Any Recommendations would be much appreciated, thanks in advance

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This type of question is almost impossible to answer properly. People all learn different ways, some want tweaks, some want a complete new swing, some want to cut their handicap by 10 shots. Then throw in whether people prefer Pro's who use tech, some want to use fancy drills and teaching aids, budget etc and you almost would be better asking how long is a piece of string.
Probably not what you wanted to hear but finding a good pro for your exact needs without trying a few in the area is not really possible.

Whiteley87

Visit site
This type of question is almost impossible to answer properly. People all learn different ways, some want tweaks, some want a complete new swing, some want to cut their handicap by 10 shots. Then throw in whether people prefer Pro's who use tech, some want to use fancy drills and teaching aids, budget etc and you almost would be better asking how long is a piece of string.
Probably not what you wanted to hear but finding a good pro for your exact needs without trying a few in the area is not really possible.
Thank You for your reply. Any recommendations of golf pro's would be greatly appreciated as well as don't know where to start

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thank You for your reply. Any recommendations of golf pro's would be greatly appreciated as well as don't know where to start
Certainly can't help with that as never lived around Preston. Try local clubs or golf ranges for a lesson. Don't sign up for a package of lessons until you have had a single lesson and seen if the methods suit your learning style. Maybe even try a few before deciding.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Unfortunately it can take a bit of time to find a coach that suits you. Some just won’t suit your learning style, some are just poor at coaching.

Maybe look on Skillest to find someone.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe research a few of your local courses, check their websites and see what the lesson set-up is (i.e. if they have an indoor sim or not etc). Pop them all an enquiry email about what kind of lesson you'd be after and see what they say?

Whiteley87

Visit site
Certainly can't help with that as never lived around Preston. Try local clubs or golf ranges for a lesson. Don't sign up for a package of lessons until you have had a single lesson and seen if the methods suit your learning style. Maybe even try a few before deciding.
Thank you for the advice

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would phone around a few local pro's, explain your experience above and discuss whether and what they would do and how they would do it differently/tailor to you. Expect some to say theyre not the right pro for you but should get a better idea of who will work for you then go for a trial lesson

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How you stand, swing and hold the club are key to getting better. If i went for a lesson I would hope the pro would point out if i had flaws here and correct me. How else are you going to get better?
Yep.
Obviously there's a balance to be struck in terms of physical attributes/ flexibility, ability to change etc etc

But. There's a reason good players are good and bad players are bad. Going into lessons not wanting to change much isn't likely to attract a good pro, just one wanting to collect money.

Perhaps the best advice is to at least find one who's comfortable having a discussion about where the balance lies, and who you're also comfortable in return.

D

Deleted member 1147

I'd be on the lookout for a pro who will teach you how to stand, hold the bat & swing. These are the main things a 20 'capper needs to learn. Obviously if you have physical limitations they should work around those.
If they aren't teaching you these things what else would you expect them to teach?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Speaking from experience I would go to Penrith Golf Hub. There is a guy there called Mike Newton. He is also on You Tube,and does reviews previously he was at Morecambe GC as an an Assistant the Barrow as Head Professional and St Annes. he moved to Penrith Golf Hub around 2/3 years' ago. Easy going, but practical, highly motivated and certainly knows his stuff. Penrith Golf Hub tel 01768 892167.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Whiteley87

Visit site
Yep.
Obviously there's a balance to be struck in terms of physical attributes/ flexibility, ability to change etc etc

But. There's a reason good players are good and bad players are bad. Going into lessons not wanting to change much isn't likely to attract a good pro, just one wanting to collect money.

Perhaps the best advice is to at least find one who's comfortable having a discussion about where the balance lies, and who you're also comfortable in retu
I have to say a handicap of plus 20 after two years is seriously impressive.
I've generally self taught by watching Rick shiels and other pros on you tube, there’s just a few things like my drive is letting me down

Whiteley87

Visit site
Thank you all genuinely for your answers and guidance and I will take it away and digest it all. I was a bit nervous of posting on forum but this has made me feel like there is help out there and the golf community is amazing. I understand that I need to learn the basics of swing path, how I stand and how to hold the club is essential. I just don’t want a pro to change my whole game and that’s how it felt when I had a lesson last time but I will start to ring around some of the pro’s listed thank you all again