Best winter courses in NE England

cbennett91

Visit site
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had played any of the following courses during the winter and would pass comment on experience of that course:

Dunstanburgh
Allendale
Maften

I am not in Northumberland but open to driving, for reference I am based in Co Durham - near Brancespeth.

Me and my mate are looking at days out for a round or two around the area and open to playing new courses.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dunstanburgh, excellent

Allendale, I'd have thought soggy

Matfen, as Allendale but @moogie can answer better as he used to be a member there.

Good winter courses up here, in addition to Dunstanburgh, South Shields, Newbiggin, Alnmouth Village. Have you played those?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Hartlepool all day long. Great course, very interesting (I've always preferred it to Seaton). Never closes, and is a fraction of the price. Unlike Seaton the bar has an atmosphere, that is people in it.

I can't comment on Cleveland as despite living quite close I have never got around to playing it. I must rectify that this winter when mine is closed.

Zig

Visit site
Hartlepool all day long. Great course, very interesting (I've always preferred it to Seaton). Never closes, and is a fraction of the price. Unlike Seaton the bar has an atmosphere, that is people in it.

I can't comment on Cleveland as despite living quite close I have never got around to playing it. I must rectify that this winter when mine is closed.

Cleveland's great; haven't played it since they blew all the heavy industry up around the old steel works - am sure it's much better visually as a result. Would recommend.

Used to be a member at Hartlepool (and walked the dog round it yesterday). It's fab, and looked in really good condition. Not sure about the bar comparison with Seaton - both have been the cause of one or two hangovers :)) The courses are totally different though; as nice as 10,11,14 are at Hartlepool, Seaton's in a different league in all honesty. Great to have as a pair though if you're in the area for the weekend, enjoy them both for what they are, and the cost levels itself out a bit too. :)

South Shields/Whitburn another good combo next to each other - great value for money - and both cope well in the winter. Not sure what Whitley Bay's like in the wet - last played it in April and it looked fantastic, as if they invest heavily on greens staff.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Cleveland's great; haven't played it since they blew all the heavy industry up around the old steel works - am sure it's much better visually as a result. Would recommend.

Used to be a member at Hartlepool (and walked the dog round it yesterday). It's fab, and looked in really good condition. Not sure about the bar comparison with Seaton - both have been the cause of one or two hangovers :)) The courses are totally different though; as nice as 10,11,14 are at Hartlepool, Seaton's in a different league in all honesty. Great to have as a pair though if you're in the area for the weekend, enjoy them both for what they are, and the cost levels itself out a bit too. :)

South Shields/Whitburn another good combo next to each other - great value for money - and both cope well in the winter. Not sure what Whitley Bay's like in the wet - last played it in April and it looked fantastic, as if they invest heavily on greens staff.
My preference for Hartlepool over Seaton is purely personal, I doubt many neutrals would agree with me, but it has always been that way. As for cost, there is no comparison. Seaton, along with Wynyard, are trying to position themselves amongst the countries elite courses. While I'm sure that Seaton will succeed, Wynyard have no chance.

As for the bar. The North East Fire Brigades held their Spring opener at Seaton this year. The course was great, but the 19th hole left a lot to be desired. Only half the field were in when the barman rang the bell and called last orders (mid-afternoon). Fortunately a couple of the lads were members and had a word, this led to the barman speaking to the secretary who agreed it could be left open.

We had a group left our club for Seaton for the course, and while they couldn't be tempted back for the golf they frequently return for the social.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
South Shields(y) If I lived closer I would be a member.
The course is in unbelievable condition, considering the rain we've had. 24 hours after the rain has stopped, apart from a bit of water in the bunkers, the course is dry under foot & perfectly playable. We get a lot of visitors during the winter & membership is currently closed.

Zig

Visit site
My preference for Hartlepool over Seaton is purely personal, I doubt many neutrals would agree with me, but it has always been that way. As for cost, there is no comparison. Seaton, along with Wynyard, are trying to position themselves amongst the countries elite courses. While I'm sure that Seaton will succeed, Wynyard have no chance.

As for the bar. The North East Fire Brigades held their Spring opener at Seaton this year. The course was great, but the 19th hole left a lot to be desired. Only half the field were in when the barman rang the bell and called last orders (mid-afternoon). Fortunately a couple of the lads were members and had a word, this led to the barman speaking to the secretary who agreed it could be left open.

We had a group left our club for Seaton for the course, and while they couldn't be tempted back for the golf they frequently return for the social.
Agree on pricing... too many courses are putting their fees up to be in the same 'bracket' at what they deem to be similar clubs nationally. The two you mention then start to look like outliers compared to others in the area (add Close House to that group too). They probably lose local visitors while picking up a few more travelling golfers. Am sure they've done the maths on

Totally agree on membership too. Many reasons to join a golf club; the 19th, the course, your mates etc.

Back to the OP... would definitely have both Hartlepool and Seaton on a winter weekend to the NE. And, if you're travelling from the south/west to get there I'd play Alwoodley, Moortown or Ganton on the way, or if coming from the north, then Goswick or Dunstanburgh would be on the list!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Back to the OP... would definitely have both Hartlepool and Seaton on a winter weekend to the NE. And, if you're travelling from the south/west to get there I'd play Alwoodley, Moortown or Ganton on the way, or if coming from the north, then Goswick or Dunstanburgh would be on the list!
The OP is only coming from Durham, nr Brancepeth, but the advice is spot on for people coming from further afield for a winter break.

Springveldt

Visit site
Newbiggin has been open, even with all the rain recently . It was closed for a couple of hours on Saturday morning due to rocks and debris being thrown onto the 3rd green by the North Sea but once those got cleared it was open again. I played it yesterday morning and it was completely dry underfoot but a few bunkers had a water in them. Course was in cracking condition especially considering the recent weather.