Looking for a club to join in Surrey advice welcome

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am looking to join a club in the Surrey area.
i live 5 minutes from Junction 6 off the M25.
ideally would like the club to be within a 30 minute drive.

I have never ever been a member of a golf club, but have played socially on and off for 30 years. Often playing for a couple of months, other things getting in the way and not picking up a club for years.

up to this summer I had played less than six times in the past 10 years.

Priorities changed this year, make a bit more time for myself, and have got the bug in a different way than ever before.

Last four or or five months started playing the odd round at various locations in the South East.
Last three months have an hour lesson every week and try to do an hour at the range as well.

Open to to ideas from anyone with knowledge of being a member or playing regularly locally.

Few ideas I have and a few I have ruled out, but happy to be corrected.

Bletchingley - two mins from home, could walk there.
Course is ok, can be wet and muddy, greens and bunkers never the best.
clubhouse always seems quite, outside bar staff / catering staff.
whilst on my doorstep probably not ideal.

Walton Heath, easy drive, great pedigree, two courses.
Ruled it out, as having visited I think the fees may e very likely very high.

Tandridge. Less than 10 minutes drive away. Ben told its a nice course, but a bit unfriendly but fees four times that of some other equally good local clubs.

Three potentials so far;
Altonwood group. Join the Addington and also be able to play Woldingham, Westerham,Surrey National and Godstone.

Knole Park in Sevenoaks

Woodcote Park Golf club.

Not played any of the 3 potentials yet, but emails expressing an interest in membership sent.
Hope then to be able to visit, have a look about, play the course etc subject to availability.

Any any other suggestions advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

jon

D

Deleted member 15344

Cuddington :thup:

Interesting to know what you class as equally good when comparing to Tandridge because heard nothing but good about that place

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Interesting to know what you class as equally good when comparing to Tandridge because heard nothing but good about that place

Thanks for the suggestion, will look at Cuddington.

Re Tandrige, been told the joining fee for someone like myself ( male in his forties) is just over £4k and then the yearly fee. Again only what I have been told at this stage nothing from the clubs but Knole, Woodcote etc joining fee nearer to £1k.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wilderness, near Seven oaks.

Open qualifying course, was hard to get into unless you knew someone a few years back, but may have changed.

Would happily play the Add or knowle.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So much depends on your priorities, and a little bit will depend on which side of J6 you live as well!

What are you looking for? Weekend competitions, evenings on the course in the summer? Practice facilities/warm up facilities/ spike bar/ bar/ restaurant? Active social?

You have a huge range to choose from and I would put the following into the suggestions box based on the ones you have looked at above...

Purley Downs and Tyrells Wood

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

There are two members of Cuddington on here, Blue in Munich and Topftheflop. Lovely course and seems to be a good friendly members club.

Tandridge is now in the GM top 100 courses, and rightfully so. Doesn't surprise me it is expensive to get into. Think you would need to know a member to propose you at Walton Heath.

Always enjoy playing at Tyrells Wood. Not sure on costs there, but their green fees are very reasonable.

chris3081

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am a member at Tandridge. I can say it is the greatest! Depending on what you consider value it is superb. Ask Blue in Munich, ChrisD and Wookie they all came as my guests last summer and fell in love with the place.

Plus its literally on your doorstep.

The membership fees and joining fees are staggered according to age (all on the website). I'm 36 and it was very reasonable for a top 100 club with such great facilities.

I can assure you the membership are without doubt the most friendly bunch you will have ever met. No one is allowed to ignore new members they have made me feel so welcome.

Cuddington is great as well - much better than most of the others you mention....thanks

I am looking to join a club in the Surrey area.
i live 5 minutes from Junction 6 off the M25.
ideally would like the club to be within a 30 minute drive.

I have never ever been a member of a golf club, but have played socially on and off for 30 years. Often playing for a couple of months, other things getting in the way and not picking up a club for years.

up to this summer I had played less than six times in the past 10 years.

Priorities changed this year, make a bit more time for myself, and have got the bug in a different way than ever before.

Last four or or five months started playing the odd round at various locations in the South East.
Last three months have an hour lesson every week and try to do an hour at the range as well.

Open to to ideas from anyone with knowledge of being a member or playing regularly locally.

Few ideas I have and a few I have ruled out, but happy to be corrected.

Bletchingley - two mins from home, could walk there.
Course is ok, can be wet and muddy, greens and bunkers never the best.
clubhouse always seems quite, outside bar staff / catering staff.
whilst on my doorstep probably not ideal.

Walton Heath, easy drive, great pedigree, two courses.
Ruled it out, as having visited I think the fees may e very likely very high.

Tandridge. Less than 10 minutes drive away. Ben told its a nice course, but a bit unfriendly but fees four times that of some other equally good local clubs.

Three potentials so far;
Altonwood group. Join the Addington and also be able to play Woldingham, Westerham,Surrey National and Godstone.

Knole Park in Sevenoaks

Woodcote Park Golf club.

Not played any of the 3 potentials yet, but emails expressing an interest in membership sent.
Hope then to be able to visit, have a look about, play the course etc subject to availability.

Any any other suggestions advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

jon

D

Deleted Member 1156

I am a member at Tandridge.

I really need to get to Tandridge for a game as all your renovation work was done by the same guy who is doing my club. Got an invite from Rob Smith but not got around to arranging a date yet.

Badger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i'm in Tandridge but not having deep enough pockets to be a member there. drive 20 mins to Hever Castle, if you fancy a knock and a look around one weekend let me know and i'll be happy to host

chris3081

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I really need to get to Tandridge for a game as all your renovation work was done by the same guy who is doing my club. Got an invite from Rob Smith but not got around to arranging a date yet.

Be great to play. I play with Rob a lot so just let me know when you fancy it and we can arrange. You thinking soon or spring when it’s in Top nick?

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So much depends on your priorities, and a little bit will depend on which side of J6 you live as well!

What are you looking for? Weekend competitions, evenings on the course in the summer? Practice facilities/warm up facilities/ spike bar/ bar/ restaurant? Active social?

You have a huge range to choose from and I would put the following into the suggestions box based on the ones you have looked at above...

Purley Downs and Tyrells Wood

Thanks for the suggestions will look at those two as well.

In terms of priorities, a pleasant course for sure plus everything you listed, hopefully it isn't too much to ask.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There are two members of Cuddington on here, Blue in Munich and Topftheflop. Lovely course and seems to be a good friendly members club.

Tandridge is now in the GM top 100 courses, and rightfully so. Doesn't surprise me it is expensive to get into. Think you would need to know a member to propose you at Walton Heath.

Always enjoy playing at Tyrells Wood. Not sure on costs there, but their green fees are very reasonable.

Thanks very much

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am a member at Tandridge. I can say it is the greatest! Depending on what you consider value it is superb. Ask Blue in Munich, ChrisD and Wookie they all came as my guests last summer and fell in love with the place.

Plus its literally on your doorstep.

The membership fees and joining fees are staggered according to age (all on the website). I'm 36 and it was very reasonable for a top 100 club with such great facilities.

I can assure you the membership are without doubt the most friendly bunch you will have ever met. No one is allowed to ignore new members they have made me feel so welcome.

Cuddington is great as well - much better than most of the others you mention....thanks

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply.
It looks like the two locals gave me duff info on Tandridge and the welcome, so thanks.
Unfortunately I am a bit older than you and the joining fee is over double anywhere else I have looked and in some cases four times higher, which is I thought excessive, I could be wrong, but in comparing others it does appear out of sync.

chris3081

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply.
It looks like the two locals gave me duff info on Tandridge and the welcome, so thanks.
Unfortunately I am a bit older than you and the joining fee is over double anywhere else I have looked and in some cases four times higher, which is I thought excessive, I could be wrong, but in comparing others it does appear out of sync.

Fair enough - you get what you pay for I guess. Good luck hunting

D

Deleted member 15344

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply.

Surely when comparing you would look at the standard of the courses - Tanridge appears in the Top 100 - i suspect the others that are lower fees won’t be so the course/club will be a lower standard.

It’s not going to charge a higher entrance fee if the standard isn’t better

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Surely when comparing you would look at the standard of the courses - Tanridge appears in the Top 100 - i suspect the others that are lower fees won’t be so the course/club will be a lower standard.

It’s not going to charge a higher entrance fee if the standard isn’t better

may be wrong as its a month or two since I flicked through the Top 100.
I think Tandridge was 99th or 100? For me to join them tomorrow subject to everything would be £6k plus.

The Addington and Knole were either in the list or the next one hundred,but certainly featured.
Both would be more than 50% less to join as opposed to Tandridge.

Tandridge is less than 10 mins from home so makes much more sense, to my mind the cost is out of sync - but I think its worth further investigation.

Thanks again for all the ideas / feedback so far, it really is useful.
I