Looking for a club to join in Surrey advice welcome

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Wish they would abolish the top 100 rankings it gives the secretarys of these clubs the justification to ramp up joining fees and yearly subs because of it being a top 100 course. It does not benefit the members in any way of these courses other than making others less fortunate than them feel like crap about their so called inferior course.......

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
As one of the Cuddington members mentioned in the thread, I can thoroughly recommend it as a great members club, with a very good course which Simon and his team always present in fine condition; I have never had a guest me anything less than very complimentary about it. It is not a top 100 course but I think it could contend for the next 100; drive4show could give a less biased opinion on its merits, although his judgement may be clouded after his partner failed to turn up in his match against Slasher & I..... :whistle: I'd be happy to show you round if you are interested, but from what I've read in your OP, I'd recommend that you don't join Cuddington.........

I know some clubs let you pay the joining fee over a number of years. Might be worth looking at for Tandridge ? It is a lovely course, great clubhouse, and even has its own pudding !! Personally I would go for a course that is nearby, as you almost certainly get more use out of it. Great in the summer for popping up and getting a few holes in the evening.

Pains me to agree with Richart :D I would look at a course that is nearby. I used to travel about an hour to courses in Essex and would not do that again for my regular course, however good it was. My course(not top 100 or even probably top 5000:D), is a few minutes down the road and we now pop down there and play x holes in the evening and so on but we do really like the course and setup there.

If you are just joining a club for the first time and only really just getting into golf, and not 100% sure on the course I would not recommend a big joining fee course, as it could be a costly mistake(yeah I got one club I joined wrong and only stayed one year).

Hope you manage to find a course that works for you financially and location/playing wise.:thup:

I live about 10 minutes from Cuddington. I was once a member at The Woldingham/Duke's Dene via a corporate membership, which from your description I'd guess is probably about 10 minutes from you. That corporate membership was the biggest waste of time going because time you added the journey each way it took an entire day for a round, 9 holes wasn't even viable option. And I fear that would be the same for you with Cuddington; you would struggle with the travel and that you would come to resent and regret your decision. I cannot agree enough that easy access to the course is the prime factor you should look at when considering where to join. I fully understand your concerns regarding the joining fee, but how much of the 2k difference between Cuddington & Tandridge would you squander over the years in time & petrol getting there?

I played Tandridge a couple of times last year and would happily play every game I ever had left to play in my life, there

I wouldn't necessarily argue too much with that statement. As much as I love Cuddington, if I was equidistant between Cuddington and Tandridge it would be a very close call.........

Good luck with your application to join Tandridge, don't forget to invite us over when you're in....... :whistle: :D

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Wish they would abolish the top 100 rankings it gives the secretarys of these clubs the justification to ramp up joining fees and yearly subs because of it being a top 100 course. It does not benefit the members in any way of these courses other than making others less fortunate than them feel like crap about their so called inferior course.......
Wouldn't being a top 100 course encourage more golfers to join, more societies to play there, and so increase revenue. This in turn would help to provide funds for reinvestment into the course and facilities, and benefit all the members.

Just a thought.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As one of the Cuddington members mentioned in the thread, I can thoroughly recommend it as a great members club, with a very good course which Simon and his team always present in fine condition; I have never had a guest me anything less than very complimentary about it. It is not a top 100 course but I think it could contend for the next 100; drive4show could give a less biased opinion on its merits, although his judgement may be clouded after his partner failed to turn up in his match against Slasher & I..... :whistle: I'd be happy to show you round if you are interested, but from what I've read in your OP, I'd recommend that you don't join Cuddington.........

I live about 10 minutes from Cuddington. I was once a member at The Woldingham/Duke's Dene via a corporate membership, which from your description I'd guess is probably about 10 minutes from you. That corporate membership was the biggest waste of time going because time you added the journey each way it took an entire day for a round, 9 holes wasn't even viable option. And I fear that would be the same for you with Cuddington; you would struggle with the travel and that you would come to resent and regret your decision. I cannot agree enough that easy access to the course is the prime factor you should look at when considering where to join. I fully understand your concerns regarding the joining fee, but how much of the 2k difference between Cuddington & Tandridge would you squander over the years in time & petrol getting there?

I wouldn't necessarily argue too much with that statement. As much as I love Cuddington, if I was equidistant between Cuddington and Tandridge it would be a very close call.........

Good luck with your application to join Tandridge, don't forget to invite us over when you're in....... :whistle: :D

I looked at Cuddington but ruled it out like Woodcote due to location.
Miles wise neither are very far away, traffic is another story all together.

I live in Bletchingley but work in Essex, Tandridge is 5 mins from home, or Knole 20 mins but if I sneak off early one summers afternoon its on route home.

For the above reasons its why The Addington is at this moment probably third on the list, cheapest of the three, closer than Knole but again a crap slow journey.

Of course anyone is welcome down for a game once I find somewhere :)

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Wouldn't being a top 100 course encourage more golfers to join, more societies to play there, and so increase revenue. This in turn would help to provide funds for reinvestment into the course and facilities, and benefit all the members.

Just a thought.

Agree with Rich in my limited experience the better courses are all in a ball park re annual subscriptions, the joining fee for me at Tandridge is very high in comparision to others, but to my mind that is because they want to attract younger members where possible, take 15 or 20 years off me and it is about a quarter of the price

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Addington is lovely but if it came to it don't let the fact you get 3 other courses included sway you. Westerham is nice enough but Surrey Nat and Woldingham are boring as hell and you'd play them once and not return, especially as Addington is leagues above.

D

Deleted Member 1156

A good course will charge the appropriate fees regardless but the rankings help clubs and visitors justify the costs.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I live in Bletchingley but work in Essex, Tandridge is 5 mins from home, or Knole 20 mins but if I sneak off early one summers afternoon its on route home.

For the above reasons its why The Addington is at this moment probably third on the list, cheapest of the three, closer than Knole but again a crap slow journey.

I was trying to work out why Knole was still in there...this explains it a little better. It's not a good (reliable) trip, but you would appear to be well versed in that.

I was all set to join Knole when I retired, but decided at the last moment to join elsewhere (played it in an event for the first time and joined the next day) which has given me what I wanted for the last 9 years (and looks like doing to for the foreseeable future.

There is a wide range of clubs I the area, you just need to be clear about what you want from the club, and course,

One other to consider is North Downs; easy journey and a great bunch of guys with a well maintained course that can have some challenging greens! Downside is the the course is on the shorter side but i think its underrated and represents excellent value with some of its current deals. Other downside might be the company and excellent bar might lead to a large taxi bill!

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was trying to work out why Knole was still in there...this explains it a little better. It's not a good (reliable) trip, but you would appear to be well versed in that.

I was all set to join Knole when I retired, but decided at the last moment to join elsewhere (played it in an event for the first time and joined the next day) which has given me what I wanted for the last 9 years (and looks like doing to for the foreseeable future.

There is a wide range of clubs I the area, you just need to be clear about what you want from the club, and course,

One other to consider is North Downs; easy journey and a great bunch of guys with a well maintained course that can have some challenging greens! Downside is the the course is on the shorter side but i think its underrated and represents excellent value with some of its current deals. Other downside might be the company and excellent bar might lead to a large taxi bill!

Can an I ask where you did join Duncan?

sevenoaks is one junction down the M25 from home, also have the A25 and a few lanes etc - so even worst case I think it’s in that 30minute travel buffer that I would like.
And I can’t say that re Woodcote and Cuddington, possibly pushing it with The Addington.

Will have a look at North Downs, thanks.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can an I ask where you did join Duncan?

sevenoaks is one junction down the M25 from home, also have the A25 and a few lanes etc - so even worst case I think it’s in that 30minute travel buffer that I would like.
And I can’t say that re Woodcote and Cuddington, possibly pushing it with The Addington.

Will have a look at North Downs, thanks.

Lol I know the geography only too well - m25 wasn't built when I started driving back and forward between Surrey and Sevenoaks!

I joined Hever because I have had a lot of back surgery and various other things that lead me to want to warm up before I start, and I was also joining with the wish to quickly and easily meet up with others (active roll ups, online competition booking that doesn't permit group booking). Critically I also fell in love with the course...

Of the courses you havenreferenced I personally prefer the Addington, but completely accept the travel issues for you (it's a pain for me too!). Tandridge is a better option for that in spades!

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Went to the Addington for a tour etc today.
Only 3 people on the course
Two in the clubhouse
All very strange.

Course from being shown around on a buggy was looking superb, looks a great golf course.
Would have huge concerns re the membership numbers, social side, Pro shop was closed at 1pm, clubhouse is very old and dated etc etc - although I was told they are planning an 18 month knock down and build new.
Poor practice facilities

Went to Knole Park afterwards.
Lovely club
Super friendly
Again course was stunning and hundreds of roaming deer.
Super practice facilities
Lovely pro shop
Very busy

Got an appointment at Tandridge next week.

C&R

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Went to the Addington for a tour etc today.
Only 3 people on the course
Two in the clubhouse
All very strange.

Course from being shown around on a buggy was looking superb, looks a great golf course.
Would have huge concerns re the membership numbers, social side, Pro shop was closed at 1pm, clubhouse is very old and dated etc etc - although I was told they are planning an 18 month knock down and build new.
Poor practice facilities

Went to Knole Park afterwards.
Lovely club
Super friendly
Again course was stunning and hundreds of roaming deer.
Super practice facilities
Lovely pro shop
Very busy

Got an appointment at Tandridge next week.
Hi. Glad you went to the addington. I told you it was quite in the week 🤣

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi. Glad you went to the addington. I told you it was quite in the week 藍

It was like a haunted house inside and no better outside.

Don't take this the wrong way but it was if the whole place was stuck in a time warp and was waiting for the fat lady to sing and she was taking her last sip of water before starting.
I found it totally bizarre.

Is it much busier at weekends?

I assume there isn't much of a social side to the club?