Looking for a club to join in Surrey advice welcome

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
may be wrong as its a month or two since I flicked through the Top 100.
I think Tandridge was 99th or 100? For me to join them tomorrow subject to everything would be £6k plus.

The Addington and Knole were either in the list or the next one hundred,but certainly featured.
Both would be more than 50% less to join as opposed to Tandridge.

Tandridge is less than 10 mins from home so makes much more sense, to my mind the cost is out of sync - but I think its worth further investigation.

Thanks again for all the ideas / feedback so far, it really is useful.
I

I know some clubs let you pay the joining fee over a number of years. Might be worth looking at for Tandridge ? It is a lovely course, great clubhouse, and even has its own pudding !! Personally I would go for a course that is nearby, as you almost certainly get more use out of it. Great in the summer for popping up and getting a few holes in the evening.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I know some clubs let you pay the joining fee over a number of years. Might be worth looking at for Tandridge ? It is a lovely course, great clubhouse, and even has its own pudding !! Personally I would go for a course that is nearby, as you almost certainly get more use out of it. Great in the summer for popping up and getting a few holes in the evening.

I played Tandridge a couple of times last year and would happily play every game I ever had left to play in my life, there

D

Deleted member 21258

Personally I would go for a course that is nearby, as you almost certainly get more use out of it. Great in the summer for popping up and getting a few holes in the evening.

Pains me to agree with Richart :D I would look at a course that is nearby. I used to travel about an hour to courses in Essex and would not do that again for my regular course, however good it was. My course(not top 100 or even probably top 5000:D), is a few minutes down the road and we now pop down there and play x holes in the evening and so on but we do really like the course and setup there.

If you are just joining a club for the first time and only really just getting into golf, and not 100% sure on the course I would not recommend a big joining fee course, as it could be a costly mistake(yeah I got one club I joined wrong and only stayed one year).

Hope you manage to find a course that works for you financially and location/playing wise.:thup:

D

Deleted Member 1156

The rankings site I tend to use has The Addington ranked higher than Tandridge.

http://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-courses/britain-ireland/england/surrey?page=2

I have never played either but have a friend that is a member of The Addington and really loves it.
He plays quite regularly with Mark Butcher and think there are a lot of other cricketers plays there.

I always take that website with a pinch of salt. Their rankings are based on all user reviews. I've read ones that have been submitted by high handicappers who clearly struggled on the course so then they slag it off. Better off sticking to rankings compiled by people with a bit more experience.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Haven't played Tandridge so can't compare it to the Add which I have.

It's a cracking course with some superb holes , only the first was one I thought was a bit below the rest.

You also get access to the others which is a plus.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lots to be said about accessibility especially for those summer evening rounds. Nothing more frustrating than getting out of work and then sitting in traffic for ages trying to get to the course in time to get a round it. Of course ultimately it comes to cost and I looked at their prices earlier. Very expensive, too much so for my pocket and while I concede you get what you pay for, I couldn't justify that amount of cash each year

C&R

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm a member of the addington.no joining fee 2.5k for a seven day membership You will have the course to yourself any day after 12. I think there is less than 200 members. Doing a lot of work at the moment with the trees on some of the holes. I highly recommend it👍🏻

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site
I always take that website with a pinch of salt. Their rankings are based on all user reviews. I've read ones that have been submitted by high handicappers who clearly struggled on the course so then they slag it off. Better off sticking to rankings compiled by people with a bit more experience.

I think that can be said for their rating system but not their rankings. Having said that I'm sure none of the rankings are perfect. Any rankings that has RCD outside its top 2 cant be trusted :p

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I think the the point of it being on my doorstep is far more valid than I had thought before this thread.

Think i I need to make some more inquiries re the joining fee and get over this mental block of its a rip off in comparison to elsewhere.
From the feedback on here it sounds absolutely ideal

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Pains me to agree with Richart :D I would look at a course that is nearby. I used to travel about an hour to courses in Essex and would not do that again for my regular course, however good it was. My course(not top 100 or even probably top 5000:D), is a few minutes down the road and we now pop down there and play x holes in the evening and so on but we do really like the course and setup there.

If you are just joining a club for the first time and only really just getting into golf, and not 100% sure on the course I would not recommend a big joining fee course, as it could be a costly mistake(yeah I got one club I joined wrong and only stayed one year).

Hope you manage to find a course that works for you financially and location/playing wise.:thup:

thanks, that is my fear with such a large initial outlay in comparison to others.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Haven't played Tandridge so can't compare it to the Add which I have.

It's a cracking course with some superb holes , only the first was one I thought was a bit below the rest.

You also get access to the others which is a plus.

The guy from Addington has invited me up for a chat and a look round so will take him up on that

thanks for the reply

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm a member of the addington.no joining fee 2.5k for a seven day membership You will have the course to yourself any day after 12. I think there is less than 200 members. Doing a lot of work at the moment with the trees on some of the holes. I highly recommend it

Thanks for that, hopefully going up to meet Rob

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Surely when comparing you would look at the standard of the courses - Tanridge appears in the Top 100 - i suspect the others that are lower fees won’t be so the course/club will be a lower standard.

It’s not going to charge a higher entrance fee if the standard isn’t better

Dunno, West Lancs charges a bigger joining fee and annual green fess than Hillside and S and A.

I think they cash in on people not being to get in the other two.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Bit of an update.

Ruled out Woodcote.

Leaves three.
Knole Park - friend played it this morning said it was stunning, greens very good etc

Tandridge

The Addington and it’s other group courses.

Spoken to the secretary or the assistant of all three and in the process of arranging an informal meeting and look around at all three.

Also got got a few PM’s from on here to follow up - so thanks everyone for the help so far.