Best Professional to Have a Lessons with

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
After my lesson today with James Robinson at St Anne's I would highly recommend him.

I have an over the top swing which I know I do but can't get rid of it. He solved it within minutes.

I only had a 30minute lesson, but I will be booking a few 1 hour lessons before the season starts and hopefully can get the handicap down again this year.
I normally just have 1/2 hr lessons. I find them to be plenty of time to sort whatever issue has snuck into my swing.
For me an hr can be overkill.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
What drills did he give you to solve the problem?

I had a similar issue when I saw him and the two things I remember he had me doing was the wall drill - so a slow takeaway to the top of your swing but keeping your clubhead against the wall at the top of the swing.

The other thing was taking your club to the top of your swing on the mat, and then there's a door in the studio at about 5 o'clock (12 o'clock being down the line towards the screen). At transition he wanted butt of my grip basically pointing towards that door. Which gave me that feeling of really laying the club off as opposed to coming over the top. From there you would "pull the chain" down that line to impact.

A lot of it felt exaggerated but then he has face-on and down the line cameras for every swing so after each shot you can break it down which really helps you get some understanding of "real vs feel".

He'll then send you a link to all the Trackman date, with the videos from each camera so you can compare when you're at the range etc.

I quite often pull them out and refer to them when I'm at the range or my swing has gone a bit squiffy. Video myself at the range and then compare to the footage from the lesson that were really what I was looking for.

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
What drills did he give you to solve the problem?
My takeaway was far too inside leaving my bicep trapped against my chest. This meant from the top of my back swing I had nowhere to go apart from over the top.

He has me taking the club away from my body at the start of my back swing and feeling like I'm doing a Jim Furyk like loop in my swing.

This is quite a big swing change and feels like my entire swing is now different, but without changing the takeaway we really couldn't do anything about the rest of the swing.

It will take a bit of getting used to but I feel a lot more confident that I have a proper golf swing which I can work on.

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
I normally just have 1/2 hr lessons. I find them to be plenty of time to sort whatever issue has snuck into my swing.
For me an hr can be overkill.
I found I was just getting going after 30minutes.

Though I would be concerned that they can possibly change too much in an hour and you could go away with too many swing changes to work on after 1 hour.