Nearly there.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Scratch or better where I play

off the top of my head I can only think of 3.
One has been around scratch ever since I have known him - nearly 40 years.

One thing that has happened over the years is that a few of the really good players have turned pro and some have gone to clubs with a longer course.

AAC

Visit site
How many scratch players do people have at their clubs on average?

Target for the youth next year will be single figures - he's down at 13.0 now - shot a 7 over 78 for his best score of the year - that's at Dewsbury - There's no way he's shooting sub 80 round Willow Valley at his age and stature.
If I can stay withing 4 shots of him, I'll be happy (currently 3.5 behind him on 16.5)
Just checked our members list, we have 20 off scratch or better with the lowest at -5.3

AAC

Visit site
Scratch or better where I play

off the top of my head I can only think of 3.
One has been around scratch ever since I have known him - nearly 40 years.
I played a few times with a chap like that, he had been 1 or better for over 50 years, that sort of player is a real experience to play with, age has started to catch up with their length but not their course management, playing with them can be better than having a lesson if you look and listen.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just as an aside, course difficulty has nothing whatsoever to do with the difficulty of reaching scratch, or the level of golf of scratch players in different clubs.
Scratch is scratch. Full stop.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i got within a shot of Scratch, but gave me a bit of a fright tbh, im not a scratch golfer by any stretch of the imagination. but i feel it was more to do with the WHS, i never managed to get much lower than 4 under the old system. im moving my handicap to tain next year which i find much easier than Nairn ( no one stuck bunkers in the middle of the fairways) so might be more achievable and be able to play close to it around there.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Just as an aside, course difficulty has nothing whatsoever to do with the difficulty of reaching scratch, or the level of golf of scratch players in different clubs.

Don't know about this one, a scratch player from many a club would wipe the floor with one from mine.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
How are you doing a lot of work on the 100 yards and in?

I really can't stand hitting those shots on mats over and over.

Do you have a nice short game area to do that work?

I also can't stand putting on poor winter greens. I don't do any putting practice over winter ever. Maybe on my mat at home but that's really just to practice my stroke. Keep my eye in so to speak.
Yes we have a good short game area,90 yards down or up to two greens with bunkers.
Also have a grass range 250 long and 30 wide,this is where I will do all my iron yardages.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
I set myself a few objectives this year:
- Break 90
- Get down to 18 and be able to call myself a 'bogey golfer'
- Play abroad

Didn't quite get down to 18 but the others I achieved. Real life (3 kids and work) needed to take priority so I'm comfortable with that and have been finishing the year nicely, who knows? I did shoot a 40 front 9 and then my back went which was frustrating.

Biggest thing for me? I'm really enjoying playing, I feel like I've found 'my' swing and I'm super looking forward to Princes, H4H and a few other trips in 2024. If I can get down anywhere near 15/16 and break 85 I'd be delighted.

D-S

Visit site
Toughness of home course doesn’t necessarily have any bearing on the standard of golfer. The best golfer in our County who wins everything, all the major local scratch order of merit prizes as well as National titles for many years now plays at a straightforward parkland course which is just over 6000 yards of the back tees. He is off +4 bit is not the lowest at all in the County but wins far more than others.
Also checking the list of lowest handicaps by club in the County, there certainly seems to be no correlation between ease of course and handicap level.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

You're gonna have to explain the logic behind that one mate.

D

Deleted member 1147

Toughness of home course doesn’t necessarily have any bearing on the standard of golfer. The best golfer in our County who wins everything, all the major local scratch order of merit prizes as well as National titles for many years now plays at a straightforward parkland course which is just over 6000 yards of the back tees. He is off +4 bit is not the lowest at all in the County but wins far more than others.
Also checking the list of lowest handicaps by club in the County, there certainly seems to be no correlation between ease of course and handicap level.
In theory the slope and course ratings should even all courses out for scores/handicaps. But I don't know that it's true.
lot of people come to my place and immediately go up, suggesting their previous courses were easier for them to score well.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If the course has been rated correctly and if the handicapping committees are equally diligent there surely shouldn't be a difference. Whether the first two premises hold is I guess doubtful. One person may be retaining their handicap based largely on competition scores often on unfamiliar courses and another on social golf on their home course.

Visit site
I manged to get down to 8.4 this year, and I'm almost certain that I will not get any lower than that.
However, I didn't start golf til I was 51, I don't suppose many folk start golf at that age and manage to get down to the magical 9.4.
No, I'm happy, target achieved, just need to make sure I'm enjoying it as much as I used to do. I'm not sure a low handicap equals a happy golfer!!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Toughness of home course doesn’t necessarily have any bearing on the standard of golfer.
I am with Mel Smooth on that one. Please explain.

Years ago when I was a better player I may have got to scratch on a couple of the courses I played and would have got no where near it on others.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes we have a good short game area,90 yards down or up to two greens with bunkers.
Also have a grass range 250 long and 30 wide,this is where I will do all my iron yardages.

Great facilities to have.

My place has an 18 hole and 9 hole course and range but no short game area.

I don't really have the time like I used to go and work on yardages etc.

Wedge approaches were the weakest part of my game last year. Didn't knock many pins out from 100 yards or so after getting in great positions. It really was the difference between over par and threatening under. I'd be making pars without giving myself genuine birdie looks which is what you want with a wedge in hand.