THE RESPONSIBILITY TO RETURN SCORES FROM COMPETITIONS

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't agree with submitting general play cards, it will slow down casual golf which is the last thing we need.

why would it? You pick up if you can’t score a stableford point, and record it as an NR.
You have to hole out a putt instead of a gimmie? Well, it’s not a gimmie if someone misses it...I have done a couple of ‘general play’ scores and it didn’t slow the round down one little bit.

D

Deleted Member 1156

why would it? You pick up if you can’t score a stableford point, and record it as an NR.
You have to hole out a putt instead of a gimmie? Well, it’s not a gimmie if someone misses it...I have done a couple of ‘general play’ scores and it didn’t slow the round down one little bit.
Yes it will. No gimmies, walking back to replay shots when you can't find your ball but can still possibly score a point if drop another. Casual golf with your mates you just walk to the next tee. It takes most people more than 4 hours already.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes it will. No gimmies, walking back to replay shots when you can't find your ball but can still possibly score a point if drop another. Casual golf with your mates you just walk to the next tee. It takes most people more than 4 hours already.

If it's the done thing then people will adjust their play. Gimmies should only be short putts and won't add too much time on, if in doubt, play a provisional this will stop the majority of instances of having to walk back

D

Deleted Member 1156

If it's the done thing then people will adjust their play. Gimmies should only be short putts and won't add too much time on, if in doubt, play a provisional this will stop the majority of instances of having to walk back
I know how it SHOULD be done but I am referring to how it will actually be done in the real world.

Mandofred

Visit site
Related to this - I'm very much looking forward to people in general putting more 'qualifying' scores in as it becomes a bit more routine. It should lessen the impact of somebody winning the casual roll-up 4 weeks in a row with 40+ points, and then rocking up in the club competition and doing the same, as they'd not been cut for 4 previous sub-par rounds - despite their 'roll-ups' essentially being competitions.

It should hopefully also remove the burden and stigma people have around club stablefords/medals being 'big serious things' because they affect your handicap. In essence, people shouldn't get so worked up about playing well 2-3 times a month for competitions if they're in the habit of putting cards in. (I appreciate supplementary cards have always existed, but they don't for Cat 1, and a lot of general club members don't use them).
Huh? Well.....this just adds to the millions of things I didn't know. I put in a few supplemental scores in the first year or so I joined....and nothing ever happened with them. That might explain why nothing had happened (I was cat 1). Was this an actual rule (in the old days of a year ago of course)?

When I joined, my first few cards put me at 14......I quickly dropped to about a 10 in the real world, but my handicap stayed up. I actually went in to the mgr and asked him to just lower my HC since I was getting a lot of abuse....you know...bandit etc. Turns out it was only another week or so until they had a meeting to adjust HC...he just told me to suck it up for another week or so. They knocked a few shots off at that time.

I'm hoping that the new system will allow me to put in more cards that count.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
but isn't that the way it was anyway, even if you NR'd you still had to put the score in, well you did at my place and it was a DQ and auto 0.1 if you didn't
TRUE...... it was so easy before 0.1 back.
It would see, that this from WHS Rule 7 is going to cause a lot more work for the H/cap Sec or team.......

7(ii)
If There is No Valid Reason For a Score Not Having Been Submitted.
The Committee has the authority to determine whether a player’s reason for not submitting a score is a valid reason.
l Invalid reasons for not submitting a score can include:
o Preventing a low score from causing a Handicap Index to decrease.
o Preventing a high score from causing a Handicap Index to increase. l If the player’s score is identifiable and they stopped their round after having completed at least the minimum number of holes determined by the Authorized Association for an acceptable 9-hole or 18-hole score, the score should be posted for handicap purposes.
l Where a Handicap Committee subsequently becomes aware of the score the player actually had after it has already posted a penalty score, the actual score should also be posted to the player’s scoring record. The Handicap Committee has discretion to leave the penalty score on the player’s scoring record or to remove it.
l If the Handicap Committee concludes that a player failed to submit a score for the purpose of gaining an unfair advantage, it should consider withdrawing the player’s Handicap Index, and/or applying an appropriate penalty score (high or low depending on intent).
l The Handicap Committee or the Authorized Association should consider disciplinary procedures for players who repeatedly fail to submit their scores or who fail to complete rounds.

I know that under CONGU some Clubs chased up NR's but this seems to make it compulsory. Hence my OP which also as it turns out highlights the fact that a 'General Play round' is also an 'Acceptable score' for H/cap purposes. Yes, I agree that it would have been clearer to just stay with the term 'Supplementary score'.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Huh? Well.....this just adds to the millions of things I didn't know. I put in a few supplemental scores in the first year or so I joined....and nothing ever happened with them. That might explain why nothing had happened (I was cat 1). Was this an actual rule (in the old days of a year ago of course)?

When I joined, my first few cards put me at 14......I quickly dropped to about a 10 in the real world, but my handicap stayed up. I actually went in to the mgr and asked him to just lower my HC since I was getting a lot of abuse....you know...bandit etc. Turns out it was only another week or so until they had a meeting to adjust HC...he just told me to suck it up for another week or so. They knocked a few shots off at that time.

I'm hoping that the new system will allow me to put in more cards that count.
So you'd been -5 H/cap (yes, as I recall, no Supps allowed)....... then put cards in & were given 14? Not surprised it caused a few problems. haha :oops:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

so hit provisionals.
Or continue to walk on and just score an NR on the hole.

personally don’t see a lot of people putting non-competition scores in...I’ll try and get into the habit of scoring the majority of rounds I play, but I think I’ll be in the minority

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
On the original question, we have a fair number of NR's, as in after they pick up once, the rest of the scores are a bunch of zero's (if they even bother to hand in the card). It will be hard to persuade the 'usual suspects' to change their ways, so I envisage one warning followed by the penalty score sanction.

Perhaps the "usual suspects" should not have been allowed to get away with it under the CONGU system.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
so hit provisionals.

personally don’t see a lot of people putting non-competition scores in...I’ll try and get into the habit of scoring the majority of rounds I play, but I think I’ll be in the minority

On the contrary, after the 1st Lock-down we asked members to submit as many Supplementary scores as they could so that their WHS H/cap would be representative. We were inundated.
Also when singles 'roll-ups' get going again I think folk in that group will be keen for everyone in there to submit a General-play score.

D

Deleted Member 1156

so hit provisionals.

Like I said, I'm talking about what will actually happen in the real world which is different to what people should do.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perhaps the "usual suspects" should not have been allowed to get away with it under the CONGU system.

I must say that we just did the usual 0.1 as we knew it was just laziness..... yes, you're right we should perhaps have done more but it for the number involved didn't seem worth it.
What sanctions were most successful for you Jim? I guess you'll be applying the same.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think they could've come up with a better term than a "general play" score, as that's a generic term we use for any game.
Not sure why they didn't stick with "supplementary" to be honest.

The Irish seem to have traditionally referred to qualifiers as "counting" rounds - sounds more descriptive than general play.

Mandofred

Visit site
so hit provisionals.

When I retired and moved back to the US, I joined the online HC system. It (I think) required you to put in every round you played. I wasn't playing anything competitive...I just wanted to play my own private comp. It was easy....every golf course had a computer in the pro shop, or you could sign on at home to submit scores. Huge list of golf courses, just pick which course and which tee box and put in the score. I liked it. But.....talk about possibility for abuse for those that do play comps. As much as people try to convince me that golfers are the best of the best of the best (Men in Black), golfers cheat just like normal people. I played a few times with some "old guys" that yelled across the course at other guys they said had cheated in the last comp. Well......it was the US.;) No firearms involved.

D

Deleted Member 1156

See post 11 ?

Since forever, the term "general play" has just meant a casual game of golf, now a "general play" round is one that is pre-announced as counting for handicap. (Obviously I know you know that).

Of all the terms they could have used ?‍♂️

People are going to be well confused. ?
Thanks for pointing that out, not sure what it has got to do with the error I was pointing out to the OP.