THE RESPONSIBILITY TO RETURN SCORES FROM COMPETITIONS

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In my head, the opposite applies.

Quite often we'll go out and not keep score, pick up short putts and generally just enjoy being on a golf course. Hit OB? So what, not carrying a pencil, so hit another. In the office all week, this is a break.

Each has it's place and time.
It is interesting just how different our golfing experience can be. I play at least 3 times a week & all of those would be in individual Competitions. For WHS scores were considered going back to 1st Jan 2018 & some folk were struggling to get 20........ at 135 I'd the most in our Club. During the lock-downs I've saved a small fortune as I'm rarely in the money.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can't put in a "general play" score if you're playing in a 4bbb matchplay competition.

Playing casually with your mates is a different matter, so as long as you score by the rules it's fine.

Not at the moment. In Ireland they want you to put a score in....using an ‘expected score’ for a hole if you don’t finish it.
Eg. If you are 20ft from the hole, you add two strokes to what’s already been taken and add it.

Blows my mind that.

D-S

Visit site
Singles strokeplay rounds played on a measured/‘qualifying’, attested and to the Rules of Golf only are acceptable.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Indeed, and I agree with Phil earlier that this will likely be used fairly often by people in this camp as being off a certain number has both pride and practical meaning to lots in this group. Namely that you’re able to qualify for a ‘higher tier’ of amateur comps.

Things like a scratch open with a 5 limit, or the Berkshire open with a 2/3, all the way through to things like the Brabazon at somewhere around 0.

You won’t get in any of them off those handicaps.....scratch isn’t very good these days at all!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m not an expert on V1 but as I understand it, for a hole not completed you insert a 0 and for a hole not started you leave it blank.
Ah well, I've set up a Test Comp, had a look & see that there is now an NS (hole not started) button & NR remains if, on the hole, no score is entered.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
It is interesting just how different our golfing experience can be. For WHS scores were considered going back to 1st Jan 2018 & some folk were struggling to get 20........ at 135

Hence my point. That's lots of cards! It also stems from every Saturday at out club has always been a formal comp. When working away, the only golf I was playing was once a week in a comp. Hence, nice to have some social golf, although when I join the Seniors this year, I suspect my WHS file will start to resemble yours more closely in volume ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
This is it for me, I started whs playing off 8 (which most folk who play with me consider to be too high given that i played off 5 for a long time) i have submitted 7 GP scores ranging from 77 to 80, 6 of them are now in my best 8 and I'm now off 6, two more scores of 77 or better and I'm down to 5, cr is 72.3 slope 128.
are you off the full course you would be in summer or shorter tee's etc?

We are not allowed any scores at the moment as we are using diff tee's on some holes, also there is no rough at all, so you can shoot some silly low scores, Slow dave was -5 on Sat and i was -2, which neither of us is capable of in Summer

AliMc

Visit site
are you off the full course you would be in summer or shorter tee's etc?

We are not allowed any scores at the moment as we are using diff tee's on some holes, also there is no rough at all, so you can shoot some silly low scores, Slow dave was -5 on Sat and i was -2, which neither of us is capable of in Summer
Yes most of the white tees are slightly forward but they must be within the distance rules as we are allowed to submit GP scores, I accept that my handicap will come down due to that and possibly go back up in the summer but to me thats what whs is for, to have the most accurate handicap at any given time

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ah well, I've set up a Test Comp, had a look & see that there is now an NS (hole not started) button & NR remains if, on the hole, no score is entered.
I thought they had fixed this in the last drop - disappointing.

Strangely, if the score gets updated on WHS it appears to calculate properly inserting the correct NDB for the missing holes.

The alternate is to enter the score as a medal vs stableford and enter the NDB where appropriate.

Hopefully they will fix the problem in V1

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes most of the white tees are slightly forward but they must be within the distance rules as we are allowed to submit GP scores, I accept that my handicap will come down due to that and possibly go back up in the summer but to me thats what whs is for, to have the most accurate handicap at any given time

They are not within the distance rules at the moment.
Unless things have changed it used to be a max of 100 metres less than the measured course.

At our club at the moment 2, 6, 8, 11, 12 and 18 are all forward. I would say those amount to about 200 yards.

Some people are putting in cards but I am not. Don't want to kid myself!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

i suppose it makes sense if you play any meaningful golf in winter which up here we just don't. Nairn Dunbar run winter comps (NQ) which were 3/4 handicap and the scores were silly at times 48 points plus just to be in the top 3, where as in summer, you would be lucky if anyone scored more that 38 points. We in effect just had summer handicaps which works for us maybe not those further south.... going to be a shock to the system when we start comps again all the short tee's are on the front 7 which would be into the wind, which at the moment are 3 wood/hybrid and a flick will be driver 5 or 6 iron off the whites

sunshine

Visit site
The way I see that is that it is not an official competition so posting a score is optional.

I think Rulefan summed it up pretty well:

If you pre-register then you need to submit a score. You can pre-register for any round you want. Entering a comp is usually pre-registering.

AliMc

Visit site
They are not within the distance rules at the moment.
Unless things have changed it used to be a max of 100 metres less than the measured course.

At our club at the moment 2, 6, 8, 11, 12 and 18 are all forward. I would say those amount to about 200 yards.

Some people are putting in cards but I am not. Don't want to kid myself!
Fair enough Ken, we checked with the office and they confirmed that scores can be submitted from all tees

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Fair enough Ken, we checked with the office and they confirmed that scores can be submitted from all tees

Nearly all the white and yellow tees are side by side. Some yellow tees are slightly forward.
Course rating white 72.3
Course rating yellow 70.4. Big difference there.
Should only be allowed from yellows at the moment in my opinion. Just as was the case for supplementary score before WHS.