The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Fulham looking very very good. Like to narrow the field. City not knocked one over the top to Foden yet. Let’s see how second half pans out.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
You’re missing my point, Brian, that being that the rules have become so confusing, and change so often, that common sense has become a thing of the past.

If United had scored that goal my views would be exactly the same - yes, seriously!

Unfortunately common sense is open to interpretation whereas, thankfully, a black and white rule isn’t. The rule is clear, and it’s up to the players to play until the whistle goes. 2 seasons ago you would have had a valid argument but under the new rule you haven’t.

Coincidently, I was talking to a retired EFL ref a couple of hours ago. His view was very matter of fact, almost questioning why someone would expect it to be handball.

Edit; now if you ask me do I agree with the rule… no I don’t. For me, make it any contact with the hand or arm is handball. No need for referee interpretations. But whilst the rule is there as it is, play by that rule.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

It wasn’t a handball, as per the rules that were brought in this season. If the rules were different I’d say handball. It’s that simple.

Did Watmore move his arm to control the ball? No. Did Watmore score directly from that contact? No. Therefore, as per the rules, it wasn’t handball. Any bleating about it is exactly that, bleating.

Surely by controlling the ball with his hand which then allowed him to pass directly to the guy who scored the goal means they scored because of the handball - the ball was going out

0D576310-0C92-44D9-9727-439E8D8943A0.jpeg

That’s a handball by the definition above

If that player is a defender then it’s a penalty

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Surely by controlling the ball with his hand which then allowed him to pass directly to the guy who scored the goal means they scored because of the handball - the ball was going out

View attachment 40993

He didn’t control the ball with his hand, the ball hit his forearm. A still photograph doesn’t show arm/hand movement which could suggest ‘control.’

And the rule you have posted also states “unnaturally bigger.” His arms were in that position before the ball bounced up and hit him. There was no intentional movement.

The (new)rule was clearly explained last night by the commentary team. I don’t agree with the rule but I do agree with its application last night.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In all seriousness, United should have steamrollered Boro last night. Yet again we were sloppy in front of goal and, to be blunt, got what we deserved.

BUT, the Boro equaliser was a farce. I know rules are rules, but the rule makers have disappeared so far up their own backsides they are in danger of turning themselves inside out.

I understand the rule. If a handball is accidental then it’s only called in the event the player using the hand then goes on to score. But referees and other officials simply must be allowed to apply common sense. If that ball had not been handled last night then Boro do not score. It really was that simple a call, Anthony Taylor should have been allowed to make it, without VAR, and applying a common sense judgement.

The rules, and the application of them, have become an embarrassment to the game.
Can't really disagree, however it's obvious many of te Utd players obviously fancied a rest otherwise how else do you explain the misses, including the Ronaldo pen flop?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Can't really disagree, however it's obvious many of te Utd players obviously fancied a rest otherwise how else do you explain the misses, including the Ronaldo pen flop?

Oh, I totally agree! United should have been over the hills and far away long before the equaliser.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’ll do. What a different performance that was. Plenty of weakness still there but moving the ball around confidently, playing forward and chasing everything down. It’s about time.

Nice result, now let’s do it again.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our squad quality and depth has really been highlighted today. We barely laid a glove on them in 90 minutes.

I agree about the squad quality. The first half (in which we were out played entirely) was the second string defense with noble and kral in the middle.. got no where near them

come second half we bring on dawson, cresswell, rice, soucek and in the end fornals .. so our stronger line up was much better and scored twice with no return .. the reserves are awful . especially diop my god

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Having been at the Harriers v West Ham game today, it shows how a team that plays all the time can hold a team that is rotated and that Declan Rice gets in some good positions!
I’m disappointed that Harriers didn’t go through but we really showed our ability. Sometimes it’s not skill that is lacking, just opportunities

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

View attachment 40993

Yes I would say that’s handball.
But the rules they have messed with the past couple of seasons are the ones VAR make a mess of most.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Reality check at the Etihad. Didn't want to go to Wembley anyway!!
Homer just got back half an hour ago and still trying to dry out. Bloody hole in the roof above my head ??

Anyway, Fulham were very very good. They knocked it around better than most teams I have seen at City. Tosin at centre half was an excellent buy from the City academy. When you get promoted to the Prem. If you keep that team, that’s a mid table Prem team. I was impressed. There downfall. The gap between the front line and back four was as narrow as I have seen from a team. Leaves loads of space at the back. City did have a few chances, but a penalty, OG which was going wide and a goal from a corner well let’s say you never got battered.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Homer just got back half an hour ago and still trying to dry out. Bloody hole in the roof above my head ??

Anyway, Fulham were very very good. They knocked it around better than most teams I have seen at City. Tosin at centre half was an excellent buy from the City academy. When you get promoted to the Prem. If you keep that team, that’s a mid table Prem team. I was impressed. There downfall. The gap between the front line and back four was as narrow as I have seen from a team. Leaves loads of space at the back. City did have a few chances, but a penalty, OG which was going wide and a goal from a corner well let’s say you never got battered.

If only city could afford to fix the roof eh Tashy ;)

Tashyboy

Visit site
Yes I would say that’s handball.
But the rules they have messed with the past couple of seasons are the ones VAR make a mess of most.

Ave seen the handball that’s being discussed and I think it’s a shocker of a decision. However has as been explained they followed the letter of the ( handball ) law. But if that was a defender that had handled that and leathered the ball away would it of been a penalty. ?