Intermediate Golf

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Even with super cheap memberships for young people they can hardly use it compared to some who kids have grown up.. the weekdays will be work and weekends are family

It's a smart movie by golf clubs to get people in cheap then hook them for life

Mortgage rates are rubbish we have been through this time and time again. Adjust for inflation today's 4% rates is up there with rates of the past because of the price of houses.

May we remind crazy face that the majority of households used to be able to afford there needs on one wage. Not many households are this now. Unless one has given up work to be childcare to avoid those costs.

Just sounds like more sour grapes 🍇

D-S

Visit site
I blame the crusty old guys in blazers and boomers who run committees who are only interested in themselves - they are the ones that must have introduced all these reduced fees to ensure cheaper access to courses for younger people.
Pure self interest as usual …….oh, hang on……

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Personally I think intermediate should start to taper back from 25 and stop at 30. I have no problem with that. Perhaps also we should abolish the senior rates as well. I don't see why they should get a reduction on the 7day rate when most 7days members can realistically only play 2 days a week, as we still work.

We currently have up to 15, 16-19
And then yearly increases from 19-35 before full membership kicks in. Ironically 19-35 is actually the worse band for membership renewals at approx 18-20% not renewing. I think it increases about £50-70 per year.

The club has identified that this category is one of the biggest but also the least stable and are looking at it this week pre agm.

Instead of the 20+ groups in this banding, the thoughts are potentially 4-5 max with the main three being a lot closer to seven day full members pricing. I’d guess something like under 15, 16-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-35 then full but potentially the last three becoming two. The theory is if they bring these more up to date the subs increase in the 35+ can be a lot smaller. I’m just not sure how you enforce this to current members, will it be a “ take it or leave it “?

I think every club needs two categories relating to full time education (up to college) and then even a uni period which you have to prove to get discount.

There seem to be plenty of our youngers (20-30) living rock n roll life styles, on subs under half of a full members, playing 3-4 times a week where as BM said, us grown up are busting our nutts in a 40+ hour week

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There seem to be plenty of our youngers (20-30) living rock n roll life styles, on subs under half of a full members, playing 3-4 times a week where as BM said, us grown up are busting our nutts in a 40+ hour week
Is there any correlation with them living at home as well so marginal rental payments or mortgage so more disposable income hence the penchant for splashing the cash and being able to afford fees and having cash on the hip

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is clearly a correlation here, but there is also a link with some who are living with a lot less restrictions than most. This is exactly why I think a further learning / uni category is relevant.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
You might have had a higher interest rate, but you probably paid £3.50 and got a packet of biscuits thrown in
Actually it was the best part of my wages at the time. Leaving us to manage on one wage which was only a four day week wage. Also we did not have mobile phones or sky/BT or broadband and a rubbish 2nd hand car. No cheap golf or gov hand outs to cover the increase in cost of mortgage payments. Not like today where increase in energy cost and the gov just dole out money to help. We got sweet fa

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
If these young people wanted to play golf let them choose between a contract mobile phone at £30 a month or golf. Choices. That's what we had to make.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Actually it was the best part of my wages at the time. Leaving us to manage on one wage which was only a four day week wage. Also we did not have mobile phones or sky/BT or broadband and a rubbish 2nd hand car. No cheap golf or gov hand outs to cover the increase in cost of mortgage payments. Not like today where increase in energy cost and the gov just dole out money to help. We got sweet fa
Did you get MIRAS? Mortgage Interest Relief At Source.
If you did, like I did, that was a government hand-out.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If these young people wanted to play golf let them choose between a contract mobile phone at £30 a month or golf. Choices. That's what we had to make.
Do you really think that's an actual choice? Do you never get embarrassed at the nonsense you write? :LOL:

Show me where it's £30 a month to play golf and I'll grab it with both hands.