Women's Football

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's interesting. I do think there's some truth but also some nonsense in there. I mean there's a problem in all boots generally in terms of foot fractures, since they used to be made of tough leather and nowadays they tend to be very lightweight mesh. "studs on boots are designed around male movement and traction" - the studs are placed differently on every set of boots I see so not sure about this one. The bit about their arches being different makes sense though.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
At the moment, for whatever reason I am struggling to enjoy watching any football. With one great exception. Children's football. I watched young Bradley Tash a couple of weeks ago, his team got beat 5 or 6 -2. There was a girl playing for the other team. She was the best player on the pitch. Her skills, vision, passing, running off the ball was exceptional.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I must admit I dont watch womens football at the club level but do take a keen interest in the England Ladies team and have done so for several years....think the first major comp I watched was the WC in 2015 (Canada) when it was held on one of those astro-turf pitches infused with chunks of rubber.

Yes the skill level or athleticism is not the same as in the mens game but over the last 7 years I have noticed a definite improvement, along with better, crisper more accurate passing, faster speed of thought and decision making, improved goalkeeping. What does not appear to change (though inevitably it will as the game is further monetized) is the lack of tantrums, feigning injury, outright cheating that blights the men's game. The ladies appear to play with a good deal more sportsmanship, respect for opponents and officials alike....and that makes the game a breath of fresh air to watch....I can see why it is especially appealing for families.

I continue to look forward to watching more of the ladies game in the future and I fear the OP is doing the equivalent of "walking the plank" by expressing such a diatribe against the womens game.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's interesting. I do think there's some truth but also some nonsense in there. I mean there's a problem in all boots generally in terms of foot fractures, since they used to be made of tough leather and nowadays they tend to be very lightweight mesh. "studs on boots are designed around male movement and traction" - the studs are placed differently on every set of boots I see so not sure about this one. The bit about their arches being different makes sense though.
I agree to an extent. After all, if you take it to the nth degree then we should all have bespoke boots as we all have different quirks to our feet, how we walk etc. There is always an element of generality about manufacturing. Something as simple as different arches, generally narrower feet etc could make a difference however so the point has some validity. It will be interesting to see if one of the big mfrs brings out a specific female range, not pink, please not pink, to suit and then see how it sells.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Obviously it's not purely a size issue is it? They do make boots in smaller sizes ffs.

Men's and Women's shoes are usually made on different lasts to allow for the differences in foot shape. I would never ever buy a pair of shoes in a Men's size 6 as they would be too wide and just wouldn't fit. I tried it when I used to run and no way is a men's size 6 running shoe the same fit as a women's.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree to an extent. After all, if you take it to the nth degree then we should all have bespoke boots as we all have different quirks to our feet, how we walk etc. There is always an element of generality about manufacturing. Something as simple as different arches, generally narrower feet etc could make a difference however so the point has some validity. It will be interesting to see if one of the big mfrs brings out a specific female range, not pink, please not pink, to suit and then see how it sells.
Definitely. I had a pair of Nike Mercurials a couple of years ago, loved them so I stuck with Nike when they bit the dust and bought a pair of Phantom GTs - they were awful. Studs must have been placed slightly differently but they gave me the worst blisters I ever had, even after I'd worn them in. I just gave them to a mate for free in the end. He said they were fine for him! It is a very personal thing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Men's and Women's shoes are usually made on different lasts to allow for the differences in foot shape. I would never ever buy a pair of shoes in a Men's size 6 as they would be too wide and just wouldn't fit. I tried it when I used to run and no way is a men's size 6 running shoe the same fit as a women's.
Yeah, you're right, of course running shoes and trainers tend to come in men's and women's. My wife's golf shoes though, are the Nike Air Max 270s - they were specifically advertised as being unisex. But we had to get her a 6 I think, and she normally wears 4 or 5. She does love them though.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The difference in fingertip reach between a 5ft 9in woman and a 6ft 3in man is far more than their 6in difference in height. It can be well over 12ins.

Imagine the men's standard of goalkeeping if only 5ft 8in and under keepers were allowed.
It's not just a size thing.
It's positioning, handling, athleticism/explosiveness, judgement and presence in the box.
They've got better, but they're not (generally) good.
As for the general question, I'd not ever choose to consume it except in the latter stages of international tournaments. I'd happily watch ladies golf, either live or on telly though, and that obviously has a big gap in standard between men and women, so not entirely sure about what particularly works for one and nof the ofher.

Swango1980

Visit site
I don't really watch it, generally. But not out of some arrogant, shallow and ignorant attitude that mens football is better than woman in all aspects. I simply don't really watch it because I've not grown up with any emotional attachment to any of the players/teams, and so it is difficult to get into. Much in the same way I don't watch Championship, League 1, La Liga, Serie A, etc (and, I do have some recognition of some of those clubs, whether they've been in PL before, or seeing the big teams in Europe, etc).

So, that is the only reason really. There is enough football on TV that I have grown up watching, and more likely to have opinions on, than watching more and more matches from other leagues, including womens football. However, maybe there are more young fans getting into football for the ladies game, starting with a blank canvas, and in 10,20, 30 years time there will be much more interest in the ladies game (not necessarily compared to mens, but relative to interest in the ladies game now for sure)

However. did watch England ladies in the Euros. From a purely football perspective, most of their games were better, and had more quality than most of the mens games I watch. The football had a better flow to it, they did not play act or spend time screaming at referees and they were actually a lot more accurate at putting in a cross than the absolute garbage I see from most mens games in the PL (where they usually hit the first man, or balloon it over everyone)

Swango1980

Visit site
The difference in fingertip reach between a 5ft 9in woman and a 6ft 3in man is far more than their 6in difference in height. It can be well over 12ins.

Imagine the men's standard of goalkeeping if only 5ft 8in and under keepers were allowed.

I can't say that I will be greatly inspired by watching Canada vs Morocco coming up soon. Men's game at the highest level? Or will it be inferior garbage?
I was absolutely rivetted by the Lionesses performances in the semi and the final this year.
My favourite player was Lucy Bronze. All-round ability in ball control, passing and tackling.

View attachment 45219
Three of the lionesses were stood next to Roy Keane, Neville, etc at one game a few months ago, as they were asked onto the Sky football. The height difference was ridiculous. They were so small compared to Keane, and he is not exactly a giant. He was almost like Peter Crouch stood next to them.

So, the height issue is clearly a massive factor for goalkeepers, as they'll generally be a lot smaller than the their male counterparts.

Mind you, I thought Earps for England was brilliant in the Euros.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I I'd happily watch ladies golf, either live or on telly though, and that obviously has a big gap in standard between men and women, so not entirely sure about what particularly works for one and nof the ofher.
It may be because your golf game is more similar to the LPGA players. We cannot relate to the distances that the men hit ball but I suspect we can compare with the women.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
At the moment, for whatever reason I am struggling to enjoy watching any football. With one great exception. Children's football. I watched young Bradley Tash a couple of weeks ago, his team got beat 5 or 6 -2. There was a girl playing for the other team. She was the best player on the pitch. Her skills, vision, passing, running off the ball was exceptional.

In youngster's footy, Girls can play an age level down, so she possibly is a year older than the boys. And a year at say age 7 is massive. Some of the girls in my lads leagues a few seasons ago, also very skilled and great temprements,

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I enjoyed watching the Women's rugby world cup. The way they play reminds me very much of the game that I used to play before bulk and power took over the mens' game. It reminds me of rugby from the 1990s and I do not mean that in a bad or derogatory way. In many ways it involved showing a wider gamut of skills over and above the raw power element prevalent in the mens game now. It also removes some the reliance on kicking penalties as the women do not have the range that the men do and so they are having to look at other options rather than being able to go for 3 points from inside their own half. It is a different game to watch and much the better for it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
In youngster's footy, Girls can play an age level down, so she possibly is a year older than the boys. And a year at say age 7 is massive. Some of the girls in my lads leagues a few seasons ago, also very skilled and great temprements,
She could well of been 10yr old then. ? Physically she was on a par with everyone on the pitch. I thought the under 10’s team was as good as teams that I saw when my son was playing under 12’s many years ago.

Ian_George

Visit site
I enjoyed watching the Women's rugby world cup. The way they play reminds me very much of the game that I used to play before bulk and power took over the mens' game. It reminds me of rugby from the 1990s and I do not mean that in a bad or derogatory way. In many ways it involved showing a wider gamut of skills over and above the raw power element prevalent in the mens game now. It also removes some the reliance on kicking penalties as the women do not have the range that the men do and so they are having to look at other options rather than being able to go for 3 points from inside their own half. It is a different game to watch and much the better for it.
Indeed! Back play is just a bit ponderous, as the length they can pass is much shorter too! Scrums and Lineouts not really any different to Men's - though they'd get massacred against Men. But a lot more penalties given away (around mauls for example) and far more dangerous tackles - implying lack of basic skills - and that was even from the best teams! So still plenty of work for coaches to instil!

Women's Football has equivalent limitations - GK's quality being the most obvious - but I'm pretty certain I'd be happy to watch it at its higher levels! Barmaid at my local plays 1st team, but not sure at what level and for a far away team.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ignoring the unpleasantness, some interesting stuff coming out today. Apparently mens boots do not suit women as well so they are suffering a greater proportion of foot problems and injuries. There are no boots designed for females yet. The market will change that but mfrs haven't caught up yet.

Kits are being changed, white shorts no more in case of unfortunate leakage during a period. Simple to change, get on with it.

It's interesting to see a predominantly male sport go 0-60 to include females. There is bound to be some lag but women have played other sports for decades so hopefully the changes will come quickly.

In terms of enjoyment or quality, that's a personal decision up to each viewer. Watch it, don't watch it ?‍♂️. If enough don't go along then it will go back to being amateur only. The clubs will not subsidise it forever, at some point it has to stand on it's own.
Only just caught this sorry LT.
Did they give a reason why the feet of Women don’t suit Mens boots.?
Are womens golf shoes different from the mens.

I know women are built differently but not so obvious in the feet.

We had a girl player in the 60s at school.
She was the best footballer in the school by quite a bit.
But she had nowhere to play.
Alan Bleasdale was our team coach and maths teacher he let her play with us but she couldn’t play for the team.
Thankfully it’s different now.
Do the girls play in mixed teams now.?

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@clubchamp98 the link in post #19 still works. That explains it better than I could.

They may mix at an early age, not sure, but definitely separate as they get older for safety reasons. When the physical differences between boys and girls really start to kick in it wouldn't be fair, or safe to play against each other.

I take it it was the Alan Bleasdale you are talking about? I'd have expected him to be an English teacher, not maths.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@clubchamp98 the link in post #19 still works. That explains it better than I could.

They may mix at an early age, not sure, but definitely separate as they get older for safety reasons. When the physical differences between boys and girls really start to kick in it wouldn't be fair, or safe to play against each other.

I take it it was the Alan Bleasdale you are talking about? I'd have expected him to be an English teacher, not maths.
Yes girls can get very scary as they get older.:LOL:

He did both . Teachers then took all kinds of classes.
One of my claims to fame I was in the school play directed by him.;)
Not many can say they have been in an Alan Bleasdale play.
He was a very good footballer as well