Women's Football

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I must admit that I quite enjoying watching the women's game.
In general their skill levels are high, they don't faff around, they respect the ref, they seem to work better as a team, they seldom dive or try to cheat and they show more respect to their opponents.
I watched a couple of live Scotland games as a spectator and that seemed to change my attitude. I do not compare the strength/power levels to the male game. [same as golf]
Has anyone else on here watched a live women's game as a spectator.

Mandofred

Visit site
I only watch a few minutes on tv (don't watch much sport), I prefer the ladies game over the guys game. Same with the golf....

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I’ll watch some of the ladies majors and the Solheim but don’t really follow them. Much less interested in football so have only ever watch the women’s World Cup and even then it was only parts of the knockout rounds. It doesn’t float my boat

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's much improved but the keeping is still awful

Almost like could do with having a slightly reduced goal size so the keeper has a chance as just how many 6ft plus female players do you see in goal? Where as how many sub 6ft male keepers do you see?

D

Deleted Member 1156

It's much improved but the keeping is still awful

Almost like could do with having a slightly reduced goal size so the keeper has a chance as just how many 6ft plus female players do you see in goal? Where as how many sub 6ft male keepers do you see?
If Scotland can score 10 then yes maybe the goals are too big ?

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s awful - just like in the ladies golf , painfully slow , very little excitement and as for the goalkeeping ???

I’m guessing this is down to a recent thrashing of Cyprus - it’s like watching Sunday Pub football

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Took my daughter to watch England Ladies play in the 2012 Olympics at Coventry.
That was really to be part of the Olympics and football was an easier ticket to get.

No interest in watching ladies football really, for me it lacks the passion of mens and it annoys me that now TV coverage (Football Focus etc.) includes women's games. Fine if its a separate programme but what next, ladies games on Match of the Day? Its bad enough that ex women players have become (poor) pundits and think they can talk with authority on men's games.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A quick Google tells me average keeper height for men is 6 ft 1 (6ft 3 in the prem) where as in the women's super League it's 5 ft 8

That's a real disadvantage

Only if you compare it to the men's game.
Look on it the other way, it should produce more goals and therefore more exciting games.
Male goalkeepers in the first half of the 20th century were probably the same height as todays womens goalies.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Back in the olden day, 80,s the pit village I lived in Rainworth aka Rennuth had two claims to fame re football.
1, Rainworth welfare which was a pit football team played in the FA Vase final at Wembley against Forest green.
2, They had a women’s team that was one of the best in the country at that time. The top team was Doncaster Belles. I used to watch the women’s games for nowt and the standard even back in the 80’s was very good.
Women’s game has really come on since those early days.
That aside I once managed a girls under 16 team for a season. I still say I started going grey whilst managing them.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Come a long way since I used to take the occasional trip in the late 60's early 70's, up to nearby Denham, to watch a neighbour play for the local ladies team... It was village green stuff but several of the players played internationals...

Tashyboy

Visit site
Took my daughter to watch England Ladies play in the 2012 Olympics at Coventry.
That was really to be part of the Olympics and football was an easier ticket to get.

No interest in watching ladies football really, for me it lacks the passion of mens and it annoys me that now TV coverage (Football Focus etc.) includes women's games. Fine if its a separate programme but what next, ladies games on Match of the Day? Its bad enough that ex women players have become (poor) pundits and think they can talk with authority on men's games.

Ian alright don’t think so
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56074842

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only if you compare it to the men's game.
Look on it the other way, it should produce more goals and therefore more exciting games.
Male goalkeepers in the first half of the 20th century were probably the same height as todays womens goalies.

Goals are only exciting if your beating someone who has a fair chance

If they can't reach top corner and the players just pile them in constantly it gets boring

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Carney steals a living, nothing with her being a women just being a terrible pundit

Give me Alex Scott any day of the week, speaks such sense but Carney hasn't got a clue what she talking about

Bit like how everyone complains about Owen being awful. Very good player but awful at talking about the game

Tashyboy

Visit site
Carney steals a living, nothing with her being a women just being a terrible pundit

Give me Alex Scott any day of the week, speaks such sense but Carney hasn't got a clue what she talking about

Bit like how everyone complains about Owen being awful. Very good player but awful at talking about the game

Owen, I watched him the other night, he could never be a manager. Painful.

D

Deleted member 18588

Something else he is wrong about.

When the women's game is compared unfavourably with the men's the defence is that the comparison should not be made as they are different sports.

If that is the case what qualification does a former player of the women's game have to act as a pundit or expert analyst on the men. And to be clear I would say the same if the roles were reversed.

It is the same in cricket with the likes of Ebony Rainsford Brent.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I think equality comes when you can criticise female sport or commentators without folk shouting "sexist!"

But of course you have to be criticising performance, not gender!

I saw Sian Massey running the line in the Conference ages ago. It was immediately obvious she was miles better than the average official at that level.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think equality comes when you can criticise female sport or commentators without folk shouting "sexist!"

But of course you have to be criticising performance, not gender!

I saw Sian Massey running the line in the Conference ages ago. It was immediately obvious she was miles better than the average official at that level.
Best Lino for me. Quite a few times players and pundits have tried to pull her up on things and I think every time it’s slowed down on telly, it’s proved that she was correct. Wasn’t she the one that the mouths Keys and Gray took the Micheal out of that cost them their jobs with Sky. Stand corrected if I am wrong