Women's Football

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you really watch or care ? Me? Nope. Never watched much. Dull dull dull. The BBC promote it coz they can't afford proper men's footie so show live women's foooltie as a solution. People who can't afford proper men's football now are given women's inferior garbage. So.. do you waste your life watching this rubbish!?

Ian_George

Visit site
It has pros and cons! Obviously lower quality and athleticism than the Men's game, particularly Goalkeeping! The greatest 'positive' though, is the lack of all the diving and other simulation that pervades the Men's game! Women's Euro 22 Final was actually a very enjoyable match to watch.

Women's Football, at least at the highest level, is far better to watch than Women's Rugby - though the WC Final was interesting enough.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't mind women's football, can take or leave . What I don't like is the merge of football ie you go on the BBC and headline

"Arsenal sign new striker" oooo who who? Nope arsenal ladies sign a new striker. Perfectly fine just please say arsenal ladies and men's, almost click bait title

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m happy to watch any womens sport, especially cricket or rugby (union).I find they bring a different approach and style of play that can be refreshing at times.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Do you really watch or care ? Me? Nope. Never watched much. Dull dull dull. The BBC promote it coz they can't afford proper men's footie so show live women's foooltie as a solution. People who can't afford proper men's football now are given women's inferior garbage. So.. do you waste your life watching this rubbish!?
I disagree with your description.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't watch women's football - but the reason is nothing to do with quality. (As far as I'm aware, the higher levels have very talented players). I don't watch it because I have no emotional investment in it. I watch Premiership football because that's where "my" team play (at least for now). I have an interest in the Championship because that's where we've been- and are quite possibly going to end up again (but maybe not, fingers crossed). I like to see how Mansfield & Notts County are fareing, so that takes care of League 2 & the National league. Likewise Dulwich Hamlet in National league South. I have a vague interest in how Forest Women are fareing - but don't watch them because a) they are too far down the pyramid to be on telly, and b) they are not "Forest" - not really ...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I watch it for what it is and enjoy it. It’s not the highest standard, but then again neither is most football I watch…largely the SPL…but that doesn’t stop me enjoying it.

Newtonuti

Visit site
I don't mind it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it. Don't forget that it's only been a professional sport in England for 4 years. Imagine the standard of men's football 4 years after IT had turned professional. Calling it inferior garbage is extremely disrespectful and not going to help grow the women's game at all, not to mention massively bigoted.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ignoring the unpleasantness, some interesting stuff coming out today. Apparently mens boots do not suit women as well so they are suffering a greater proportion of foot problems and injuries. There are no boots designed for females yet. The market will change that but mfrs haven't caught up yet.

Kits are being changed, white shorts no more in case of unfortunate leakage during a period. Simple to change, get on with it.

It's interesting to see a predominantly male sport go 0-60 to include females. There is bound to be some lag but women have played other sports for decades so hopefully the changes will come quickly.

In terms of enjoyment or quality, that's a personal decision up to each viewer. Watch it, don't watch it ?‍♂️. If enough don't go along then it will go back to being amateur only. The clubs will not subsidise it forever, at some point it has to stand on it's own.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I don’t go out of my way to watch it. However, when I have seen snippets I like the fact that when they are tackled they do not suffer with an imaginary broken leg. A mate of mine had a daughter that played for Leicester until a serious knee injury ended her football career prematurely. He used to go and watch her matches when she was playing but since her retirement he has not watched any ladies football. He says it is just not his thing.

D

Deleted member 15344

Looked at the thread title and then looked up posted it and it’s not a surprise what he has posted - truly pathetic

Watch some ladies sport and many times the skill levels are very high , cricket , golf football , rugby all good to watch. Not sure why people immediately look to compare it to the mens equivalent - judge it in its own right

The one thing the ladies game especially in football has other men - sportsmanship, integrity of the players. They are certainly not sports money orientated

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Ignoring the unpleasantness, some interesting stuff coming out today. Apparently mens boots do not suit women as well so they are suffering a greater proportion of foot problems and injuries. There are no boots designed for females yet. The market will change that but mfrs haven't caught up yet.

Kits are being changed, white shorts no more in case of unfortunate leakage during a period. Simple to change, get on with it.

It's interesting to see a predominantly male sport go 0-60 to include females. There is bound to be some lag but women have played other sports for decades so hopefully the changes will come quickly.

In terms of enjoyment or quality, that's a personal decision up to each viewer. Watch it, don't watch it ?‍♂️. If enough don't go along then it will go back to being amateur only. The clubs will not subsidise it forever, at some point it has to stand on it's own.
Imagine the uproar if this happens.
It feels like it’s been forced upon us & if you don’t watch it you’re sexist.
That’s my opinion anyway ?‍♂️

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Looked at the thread title and then looked up posted it and it’s not a surprise what he has posted - truly pathetic

Watch some ladies sport and many times the skill levels are very high , cricket , golf football , rugby all good to watch. Not sure why people immediately look to compare it to the mens equivalent - judge it in its own right

The one thing the ladies game especially in football has other men - sportsmanship, integrity of the players. They are certainly not sports money orientated
That’s probably not through choice.
I reckon that would soon change if the big money started coming in.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't understand why you'd let it upset you. At the very top level the quality is still fairly high, just over a much more limited sample size I suppose. A lot of people criticise the goalies without remembering that most of them are probably only about 5'10 tops whereas a male keeper would likely be 6'3 playing in the same goals on the same pitch. It's hardly surprising that you see a lot of long range efforts nestle in the top half of the nets. The women's England team are obviously very good at the moment, one of the best in the world if not the best on form, which is something to be proud of and not something you can picture the men's team achieving.

I don't mind women's football, can take or leave . What I don't like is the merge of football ie you go on the BBC and headline

"Arsenal sign new striker" oooo who who? Nope arsenal ladies sign a new striker. Perfectly fine just please say arsenal ladies and men's, almost click bait title
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Can't stand that sort of clickbait. I saw one that said "Leicester replace manager with Emile Heskey" once and nearly had a heart attack. There does seem to be a trend now where it's faux pas to call them 'Arsenal Ladies' or whatever but honestly it's just confusing otherwise.

I'm also not overly keen on the likes of Karen Carney and Eni Aluko being crowbarred in as pundits on men's games. Not for sexist reasons I just don't think those two are any good. Same goes for Sue Smith on the Soccer Saturday (although I rarely ever watch that). That said, it's not like many of the male ex-pros are much good either.

Apparently mens boots do not suit women as well so they are suffering a greater proportion of foot problems and injuries. There are no boots designed for females yet. The market will change that but mfrs haven't caught up yet.
Really?? Why's that then? What's the difference in women's feet to men's that means different boots are needed?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The difference in fingertip reach between a 5ft 9in woman and a 6ft 3in man is far more than their 6in difference in height. It can be well over 12ins.

Imagine the men's standard of goalkeeping if only 5ft 8in and under keepers were allowed.

I can't say that I will be greatly inspired by watching Canada vs Morocco coming up soon. Men's game at the highest level? Or will it be inferior garbage?
I was absolutely rivetted by the Lionesses performances in the semi and the final this year.
My favourite player was Lucy Bronze. All-round ability in ball control, passing and tackling.

bronze.jpg

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One tends to follow the other. If the big money comes in integrity goes out of the window. Are you telling me all womens sport has integrity, perfect sporting behaviour? Plenty of examples of poor behaviour in tennis, golf, athletics for example, some of the long established sports

Money orientated? Best players move to Barcelona or City ladies for the scenery alone?

There is no difference, they are just further behind the curve right now.