Council Recycling reduction, mild rant warning!

U

User62651

As threatened we are officially on a 3 week landfill wheelie bin collection from now, recycling wheelie bin remains at 2 weekly. That's all the kerbside collection we get in Argyll and Bute council area. Three week uplift for landfill to me feels unreasonable, already do not quite manage on 2 weekly, I have to take landfill rubbish bags by car to the recycling centre 2 miles out of town sometimes. Nowt we can do about it but where does this trend end? We needs some service back for our council tax.
I think I'm better than average for rubbish production, family of 4 with a dog and 2 cats. No one deliberately produces more rubbish, it just is what it is. I do think about it and recycle all I can per the rules.
One 'solution' offered is that we should all compost our food waste, I don't vegetable garden as such so I have no real use for compost or have any desire to have a stinky green cone thing out the back and being at the sea don't want to encourage gulls in with an open compost heap. With a dog in house there isn't that much food waste anyway.
The recycling collection does not include glass which I can't understand, ok for me as I drive so can take glass to bottle banks at Tesco or the recycling centre but for non drivers i.e. the elderly they cannot do that with no council solution offered so I suspect it gets lost in the landfill. Most other councils uplift glass dont they?
Argyll and Bute council are stretched financially, combo of low population and a large awkward geographic area including many islands, council tax freeze on top of past overspends and bad management (councils are famed for it allegedly;)).
Whole situation feels a bit hopeless, I live in a very modest house and its graded band F based on 1991 property values, other local authorities would have it D by comparison, feels like a scam to claim more than they should. Would pay more council tax for a better service but with mortgages and cost of living so high there's not much leeway for that.
Anyone else feel there council is not meeting a basic standard of service, in the name of so called environmental measures that are really just cost saving measures? My solution will be taking black landfill bags myself to the council recycling skips at my expense more often, not a problem, but just makes me think even less of my council.
In the 80s you just put all your rubbish out every week presented in any fashion you liked and the guys took it all away, kitchen sinks, old bikes whatever, I know we do things better nowadays and don't want to sound like Donald Trump on climate change' but it wasn't half easier back then.:mad:
My multi fuel stove may now be getting stuff in it it shouldn't but needs must. Seriously thinking about soaking all paper and cardboad then making briquettes for the stove from it.
Interested to see how the level of fly tipping goes from now, not optimistic.

Will public services sector, cut to ribbons by successive governments, ever function like they used to again in this country.......sigh?:p

Last edited by a moderator:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In South Ayrshire we are on a two week wheelie bin rota for landfill and recycling and monthly garden waste [March-Oct]
Seems to work well.
With just the two of us the landfill bin is generally only 25% full after a fortnight whilst the recycling one is generally 75% full.

OP ....I would not like to smell your LF bin after 3 weeks during a hot July.
Argyle and Bute Council must spend a fortune on fuel to deliver their service.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
we are on two week collection since start of this year and now have 4 bins. a friend that works for the council told me that the whole recycling thing was a joke as all the stuff we put in the recycling bin is just going in landfill anyway as they have now system to sort it anyway.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For serious recyclers I would also recommend a wormery.
Provided you follow the rules all your vegetable peelings waste, small green garden cuttings and leaves produce loads of brilliant compost.

G

guest100718

just chuck it out the boot on the way to the golf course....

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
In South Ayrshire we are on a two week wheelie bin rota for landfill and recycling and monthly garden waste [March-Oct]
Seems to work well.
With just the two of us the landfill bin is generally only 25% full after a fortnight whilst the recycling one is generally 75% full.

OP ....I would not like to smell your LF bin after 3 weeks during a hot July.
Argyle and Bute Council must spend a fortune on fuel to deliver their service.

In Scotland? :confused:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Black bin to incinerator one week - which is a 1/20th full

silver bin - to recycling week two. rammed !
Green bin same week as silver. usually rammed ! Big garden.

U

User62651

Black bin to incinerator one week - which is a 1/20th full

silver bin - to recycling week two. rammed !
Green bin same week as silver. usually rammed ! Big garden.

Sounds like you've got very efficient with your non-recyclable stuff, we must try harder.

We don't get a green bin for vegetation up here so no easy solution for that either. Mine goes over the back fence into council waste ground!:eek: Its my way of dealing with THEIR Japanese knotweed (by suffocation) which I've complained about numerous times and they have lied by email saying they've started treating it, they havent yet.....but I have where it's right on my fenceline with their ground at my time and effort. From various replies above seems my council really are useless and way behind what other councils provide.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My council is currently solving its shortfall by selling off the family silver. What they do when all of their buidlings and land have gone, they haven't thought about. Total muppets, inept. Unfortunately the town with their voting base is larger than mine so they feel free to trash my lovely market town as we don't have the numbers to vote them out.

Our bin collections work well, regular bin, recycled and garden waste for a small extra charge, removed every two weeks. That seems about right. No separate food waste collection or glass collection. Stretching to 3 weeks inevitably means more trips to the tip or fly tipping.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
In East Renfrewshire our food and garden waste gets recycled weekly but everything else (Grey bin for landfill, Green bin for plastics, tins and glass and Blue bin for paper and cardboard) is on 3 weekly cycle. We've just changed to wheelie bins now for the Green and Blue which helps but it's still pretty tight in all fairness, especially the grey bin. We try to be ethical and put everything where it should go but we are four adults in a house so generate a fair amount of waste.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our general waste bin is going to be every 3 weeks very soon.
I don't have a problem with that providing the recycle stuff is actually recycled an I believe that in Salford it mostly is.
What I do have a problem with are my fellow housemates, I live in a shared house, some of them aren't as conscientious as I am. Only this morning I notice that one of them had put a load of vegetable waste in the general bin.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How much longer before 3 weeks is standard but you can get 2 for a supplement? Maybe that is how it should be, user pays. There are 4 in my house, next door are two oldies. I wheel their bin forwards for them and it is rarely more than half full. Ours is full. We pay the same council tax but clearly send more waste to be recycled, into landfill etc.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Down here we still get weekly collections for all our rubbish/waste... General [landfill], recyclables [though not entirely convinced this is what happens as it all goes in same bag] and green [garden/food waste]... Still some advantages to living in an urban area...