Council course

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Following on from the is golf expensive thread, got me thinking about cheap entry level golf such as council courses. Inverness no longer has one, but where we lived when I started playing, there was a 9 hole course that was just pap, as well as 3 council owned 18 hole course's that were within 15 miles. I remember in the 70 s and 80 s when by brother played,him and his mates could only get on these local council course's and they were still quite cheap to play. Remember playing the one in Welwyn panshanger for less than £10
Does your town still have one and is it still cheap to play.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Poult wood golf club just outside of Tunbridge

Council owned and run , used to be under £15 when I played it with my dad every week

Very good condition for a council run course and their winter tees were better than most clubs!

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
We have a 9 hole par 3 course in the area which is about £10 to play. Very casual. Sadly the council courses have closed.

I saw a dangerous video on the BBC about “re-wilding” a closed golf course. Just in the way it was made to be short it almost subconsciously implied golf courses are the scourge of the countryside and that wildlife that was almost surely there beforehand had only just returned.

MACM85

Visit site
Crookhill in Doncaster is council run. Played it a few times at a charity golf day. Nice little course a bit rough around the edges. Think annual membership is £400 and a guest rate was like £15.

You get what you pay for. Won't be winning any awards for the condition of the course and greens etc.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We've lost the 2 golf courses in the town in the last 5 or 6 years.
One was where most of us started...it began as a 9 holer and was expanded to 18 a few years later. Flat, pretty straight forward...a nice beginners course.
It closed about 6 years ago, although the range is still there. I think they went bust..
Another, better, course opened a few years after the other one..Still relatively cheap to play or join.
A much better course, much more to it and better quality - until HS2 decided to bulldozer it.
All the other courses close-by are Member's Clubs, cost more to join or play......
I think there's room for a Muni type course in the town....but I doubt anyone would risk it..

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We used to have 2 near us, Brandhall and Hilltop. Both enjoyable to play, tricky, plenty to keep you coming back. Unfortunately they’ve both been closed for last few years, not sure what’s happening with them now.

Last I heard was that brandhall was meant to be being developed into houses with green space, local residents have objected to the plans. Shame they didn’t do all that before they closed it.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
We don't have any council owned courses anymore in Worcester - however - my club benefitted from the closure of the council course.

The courses were neighbor's, separated by a large hedge to the left of Ravens 8th hole, previously, Raven was a 9 hole course with 2 tees per hole and you just went round twice. Upon the closure of the council owned "Perdiswell Park" Raven sought to acquire 9 holes from the councils course to create a full 18. It took a bit of work but since last year our owners now officially own that land too.

The other 9 holes are now recreation areas for dog walks etc, wild flowers and new woodland also planted too. When you walk over the areas you can still see the contours of the fairways and quite distinct tee boxes.

Our course is by far the cheapest in Worcester, probably equal in cost to many Muni's up and down the country and you can play for less than £20 if you're not coming at peak times.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a 9 hole pitch and putt which is only open in summer.
Taunton has one. £19/£23
Reading the news many have closed including the one I learnt on in Surrey, Southwood, Farnborough

Bracknell still has one, The Downshire, very variable but highly affordable prices.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Poult wood golf club just outside of Tunbridge

Council owned and run , used to be under £15 when I played it with my dad every week

Very good condition for a council run course and their winter tees were better than most clubs!

not played there for years

tomshanks

Hacker
Visit site
No council owned clubs around here. If there were any I expect there would have been sold for housing a long time ago.

We have one council run pitch and putt which I spent an awful lot of time at during school holiday. Rumour has it you could jump on the second hole without being spotted by the man in the starter hut ;)

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Beckenham Place park was run by Lewisham council and sadly closed a few years ago as the council were given a hefty lottery grant to turn it into a park.

at one point it was the busiest golf course in the UK with people queuing at the gates at 4am to book for the following Saturday but once the council got hold of it they cut back on the maintenance.

David Lloyd group wanted to buy it but the offer got rejected

the pro shop was like an Aladdin's cave.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Beckenham Place park was run by Lewisham council and sadly closed a few years ago as the council were given a hefty lottery grant to turn it into a park.

at one point it was the busiest golf course in the UK with people queuing at the gates at 4am to book for the following Saturday but once the council got hold of it they cut back on the maintenance.

David Lloyd group wanted to buy it but the offer got rejected

the pro shop was like an Aladdin's cave.
Dis it have big house in the middle of the course, sort of white Georgian?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Got a couple - Bradley Park Golf Club - which is a great layout, and only ten minutes away. There’s also a muni over at Wakefield which is about 20 minutes. Both get busy obviously but are good value.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
yes mate - it would've made a fantastic club house
I think I got dragged around their when I was about 14 by my uncle who lived in Lewisham. I think he was trying encourage me to play by getting me to carry his bag around. It sort of worked I took it up 30 years later

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think I got dragged around their when I was about 14 by my uncle who lived in Lewisham. I think he was trying encourage me to play by getting me to carry his bag around. It sort of worked I took it up 30 years later

you don't want to rush into anything!

even after playing some great courses via this forum, BPP would still be in my 10 top

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
you don't want to rush into anything!

even after playing some great courses via this forum, BPP would still be in my 10 top
Cant remember that much about it other than a couple of the tees were next to a big house and being bored out of my skull as he spent the whole round trying to get me to consider following his foot steps and become a barrister.. and take up golf?

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Still four council owned 18 hole courses and a 9 hole course in Aberdeen. They're good value especially for kids who can get on for £7 for 18 or under a fiver for 9 holes. Adult green fees are £25 or you can get an annual pass covering all the courses for £354.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Leeds is now down from 4 to just 2 Munies. The popular 9-holer at Roundhay & the now one 18 hole course (used to be 36) at Temple Newsam designed by Alister MacKenzie. It was due to host the very first Ryder Cup until the venue was switched to Moortown.
Also amid the 11 private-members/Club courses in N Leeds there are also Pay n Play 18 & 14 hole courses privatly owned & costing just £12 to play. Affordable golf available to everyone in this area.