Council course

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Not exactly "council run" but excellent value pay and play. Not sure, but Oadby and Wigston Council might still own the land.

LGC.jpg

Last edited:

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I grew up playing at Windmill Hill GC in Milton Keynes which was Council owned & operated. I believe it is now privately operated in partnership with the Council.

Where i live now Sussex, there are no Council courses at all

The Fader

Visit site
Growing up in Leeds during late 70's and 80's we were blessed with 4 council courses - Temple Newsam, Gotts Park, Rounday and Middleton Park.

From memory a weeks pass was less than £5. We regularly played 36 holes every day in school holidays!

Middleton Park is long gone and Gotts Park is I believe still in existence run by the members on a very much volunteer basis. You can play Gotts for £5 on a Friday!!

The other 2 are still council owned and managed.

Roundhay is a picturesque 9 holer.

Temple Newsam 's fortunes are a crying shame. Originally 36 holes designed by Alister Mackenzie. It narrowly lost out hosting the Ryder Cup in 1937 to Southport and boasted Percy Alliss
as its professional. Over the last few years it has been pared back to 27 holes and then 18 holes. And like most council courses has suffered from a lack of investment as councils really have no interest in golf!!

But you can play for c.£15 through the week. Less for seniors, students and locals.

James Robinson did a "review" of Templenewsam on his Youtube channel in June 2022

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's a decent amount near me. Southampton Municipal is a superb, but difficult course, so the green fees are good value but the course is a tough test for beginners. There's also a 9 hole course there as well.

I think the course at Great Salterns in Portsmouth is council owned and is a decent starter for beginners.

And Dibden is, I think, owned by New Forest council but run by a third party. Tis a pleasant course with some good holes.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Growing up in Leeds during late 70's and 80's we were blessed with 4 council courses - Temple Newsam, Gotts Park, Rounday and Middleton Park.

From memory a weeks pass was less than £5. We regularly played 36 holes every day in school holidays!

Middleton Park is long gone and Gotts Park is I believe still in existence run by the members on a very much volunteer basis. You can play Gotts for £5 on a Friday!!

The other 2 are still council owned and managed.

Roundhay is a picturesque 9 holer.

Temple Newsam 's fortunes are a crying shame. Originally 36 holes designed by Alister Mackenzie. It narrowly lost out hosting the Ryder Cup in 1937 to Southport and boasted Percy Alliss
as its professional. Over the last few years it has been pared back to 27 holes and then 18 holes. And like most council courses has suffered from a lack of investment as councils really have no interest in golf!!

But you can play for c.£15 through the week. Less for seniors, students and locals.

James Robinson did a "review" of Templenewsam on his Youtube channel in June 2022

From 1967 to 1971 we lived in Wakefield. Mainly played at Barnsley municipal.
Played Middleton, but can't remember much about it. Played Roundhay on two occasions - so 4 times round - remember it rather better. Was only a very wee boy.
Can't remember what the green fees were - dad paid mine, obviously.
I feel very lucky to have had that kind of "no frills or fuss" start in golf.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know of a few council courses although most are run by someone on the councils behalf, Heaton Park, Manchester is a very good one and also Marland in Rochdale, Pennington near Leigh 9 holes not great and back where i am from Marsden Park in Nelson, some very tough holes, and Towneley in Burnley

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I grew up playing at Windmill Hill GC in Milton Keynes which was Council owned & operated. I believe it is now privately operated in partnership with the Council.

Where i live now Sussex, there are no Council courses at all[/QUOTSeaford Head on E]

Where i live now Sussex, there are no Council courses at
Seaford Head on the Sussex coast. Excellent condition with the renowned par 5 18th hole overlooking the bay. £30 a round mid week. all

RichA

Visit site
I grew up just outside Nottingham. My first golf was played regularly at Woodthorpe Park pitch and putt, owned by the city council. I just checked and the 18 hole course is still there. £6 adults, £4 kids.
I don't know of any publicly owned full size courses anymore - certainly not in the Herts / Essex border area.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
East Lothian has the Old Course at Musselburgh (ancient Open venue) and Winterfield in Dunbar. Haddington used to be council but the club took it over in the 90s.

DCB

Visit site
Edinburgh's pretty well served for public courses. 6, I think...

Braid Hills
Silver
Carrick Knowe
Craigentinny
Portobello
Wee Braids

These courses have been very busy in the last couple of years. During 2020, after the first covid lockdown, they were totaly full. It was very difficultly to get zvtee time. It has eased a bit, but they are still very popular. I grew up playing Silverknowes, a nice course overlooking the Firth of Forth. I have a vested interest, working for the Leisure Trust that operates these courses. Whilst nowhere near as busy as they were in the 1970s and 80s, they still have their place and many people play them on a regular basis.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Braids had two 18 hole course. One Braids no2, was turned into a 9 hole course set up to make it easier for those starting out, or those getting a bit long in the tooth ?
I remember seeing a map of the city when I was at university there and it looked like there were dozens ??

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The course I am a member of is council owned. They have really invested in the course over the last couple of years, improving drainage and tee boxes and are rolling out a bunker overhaul this year.

One of the best courses in the area now, the greens have always been excellent and a good test of golf at any level. Over 6,600 yards off the whites slope 138/135 and £22.50 for 18 at the moment.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

There was also Oulton Hall which was council owned but shared the land with a hotel. The council sold the course and now the whole setup is owned by QHotels. The course itself is significantly better and is 27 holes.

Although Temple Newsam is now an 18 hole course it is reputedly much better than it has ever been. My neighbour has been a member for years and is very impressed with the changes. I gather the best 2 9s of the latter 27.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Can't believe @Dando didn't mention High Elms, in Kent. Amazing golf course for a council owned operation. A real test of golf too, as it's pretty tight through woodland in parts.
Lullingstone is another council run course nearby, 27 holes, but not as good as High Elms. Bit of a slog, slopey and some often flinty lies which will tear clubs apart... and that's in the middle of the fairway. Quite good fun though, and the 9 hole has some really good holes too.
And then there's possibly the jewel in the crown, Bromley golf centre and driving range, or Royal Magpie for those in the know! ?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Blackpool (or Stanley) Park near me is still a council owned municipal with a golf club attached. Unfortunately the condition is poor but the course layout itself is superb. A Mackenzie design - the front 9 is potentially the best in the area from a purely design point of view, and I include the likes of SAOL and fairhaven in that, although I haven't yet played Royal Lytham to compare it to.

The council tried to sell it recently and that wonderful front 9 was planned to be bulldozered for a holiday and leisure park but the company that won the bid have transpired to be crooks.

Apparently the council owned two courses locally - North Shore and Blackpool Park and decided to let one of them become a private members club. North Shore was the choice and many agree it was the wrong one.

Having spoken to many local golfers from other clubs whilst playing in the handicap league most share the sentiments above and almost all started their golf at the Park. A few have said if they won the euromillions they'd buy the lease and return it to its former glory.

Last edited:

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Think we need to differentiate between council owned and council run, as mentioned earlier.

Plenty of good courses I know of that are council owned, but a very different prospect to council run. In my area both Fleetwood and Blackpool Park are council owned.

Edit - posted before I realised Hefty Hacker made a similar comment above :)