Council tax

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Where I live in Lincolnshire, we only pay our council tax in 10 month instalments, which means we get Feb and March 'free'
The problem is, the extra money is burning a hole in my pocket.
I've been talked out of a new computer and my petrol lawnmower hasn't died yet so am a bit stuck.
To those who also have Feb and March free, do you have any plans for it or has HID spent it already?

we used to use it to swan off to portugal for a few days. Flights £100, car hire £20, accomodation £100. Sun for four days!!!!!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
View attachment 51875

No charge for the regular bin or the recycling bins, of course.

The clowns here have introduced it for this year. Take up, apparently, has been poor. Even the bin men said, chuck it in your black bin. LOL Clowns!!!! This will mean a huge increase in weight being sent to Ellesmere port for burning, therefore a huge increase in charges, and therefore they will have saved.....nowt! Also, I'll be burning my hedge clippings, as the black smoke it will produce will blow over my big fat neighbors house. Lovely.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why should we pay for something that we were getting for free? We pay more council tax BECAUSE we have gardens. Therefore....they take the green waste away BECAUSE we pay more. Also, what are we now to do with the big green recycling bins the council spent a fortune on?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Why should we pay for something that we were getting for free? We pay more council tax BECAUSE we have gardens. Therefore....they take the green waste away BECAUSE we pay more. Also, what are we now to do with the big green recycling bins the council spent a fortune on?
We've got 4 bins.
Brown...garden waste
green...recycling
purple...cardboard
black...everything else

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
View attachment 51875

No charge for the regular bin or the recycling bins, of course.
I'd say our brown bin is free but obviously it isn't...the charge will be built in to our Council Tax somewhere along the way....I was just surprised that some places charge you for the brown bin separately....but i guess that's good if you have the option of not having one. Our brown bin gets filled up most weeks during the summer and if I dont book a dump trip each weekend the council ring me up and ask me if I'm unwell.:D

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Used to enjoy our ‘free’ months. However, our estate was recently handed over by the builders. A management company service annual charge now kicks in. They get paid quite a lot (approx 1 month council tax) for very little, meaning we now effectively only get one free month as it feels like council tax by a private company.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My Mrs works for the local county council and last week she said they had sent out over 8000 reminders to people who were behind on their council tax. And I am sur eshe has also said that the council are owed over £25 million in CT :eek: Wonder if these people are at the front of the queue when they complain about what the council can't do

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Used to enjoy our ‘free’ months. However, our estate was recently handed over by the builders. A management company service annual charge now kicks in. They get paid quite a lot (approx 1 month council tax) for very little, meaning we now effectively only get one free month as it feels like council tax by a private company.
We have the same issue, representative came out and she asked me what they were responsible for.. I said I wasn’t too sure as I had never seen them do anything or even required them .. so I considered the driveway to be a ransom strip.
As for council tax, yeah that’s escalated up but a few councils invested in Icelandic banks and lost a fortune.. question is where did they get the excess to invest? Should it not be a balancing exercise.. also wage structure needs to be reassessed.. the bin men break the bins because they are rushing or stressed .. costs me a new bin plus services charge .. the roads are appalling because they refill the potholes when they are wet so they will pop out again ..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our council charges to empty the brown bin also. It used to be £40 then went up to 50 and I think 60 this year so I cancelled it. The minimal amount of gardening we do, we can actually afford to have a year off and get it collected the year after - since it composts itself and drops down lower over time.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The irony of the poll tax is it was actually a fairer form of tax than what council tax has become ..
Totally agree and agreed with it from the off.
and was

Just because someone owns a larger house does not mean they have a larger income of lots of capital and are receiving no extra services.

However better watch out for this being seen as political.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally agree and agreed with it from the off.
and was

Just because someone owns a larger house does not mean they have a larger income of lots of capital and are receiving no extra services.

However better watch out for this being seen as political.

Doing it on value was ridiculous, me and my colleague live 5 min drive apart, his house is smaller than mine even before I extended it. I'm band d he is c because of the value back then just because his postcode is deemed to be near the big houses in the area

He keeps trying to get it changed to no avail