car woes

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
we currently have a fiat punto 1.2 8v 52 plate and a peugeot 106 1.1 8v 51 plate in the household and the punto has been nothing short of a complete pain in the erse.

the 106 hasn't been too bad but back in feb/march it required roughly 1k worth of work to get it back upto scratch.

the punto we have had for over 5 yrs and it's been one thing after another,i reckon we've spent just over £2500 on repairs and possibly more,i've tallied up some bills but there is a few missing so chances are it's over £3000.

last week i put it through it's mot and it cost £85 to get it through so that was £138 including the mot,then £63 for 6 mnths tax and then one week later(today) it starts overheating badly and very suddenly.:angry::angry:

i haven't had the chance ot check it over but it's very depressing especially at this time of the year.

anyway,what car woes and issue's have you's all had?any cars that have been nothing but money pits?

moan away:sbox:

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Actually been really lucky so far with the cars I've owned.

fiat Seicento - no major problems to speak of
Renault Clio - Had it from new, few things to pay out for but nothing earth shattering.
Seat Toledo - Best car I've owned. Had bad luck with tyres but that was nothing to do with the car. Just general wear and tear costs.
Ford Mondeo - Nothing so far *touches wood*. Just serviced it for the 1st time, only complaint is the muppets forgot to reset the service indicator, but I'll get that reset tomorrow. Oh and it's thirstier than my Toledo (which never got less than 50mpg unless I was REALLY ragging it for the whole tank) and costs me £20 more per tank to fill (90+ quid from empty! FML!), but is lovely to drive (18" wheels make the ride firmer than a normal Mondeo, but still MUCH more comfortable than the toledo!), has a great sound system and looks the biz. And got it dirt cheap with 22k on the clock.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Actually been really lucky so far with the cars I've owned.

fiat Seicento - no major problems to speak of
Renault Clio - Had it from new, few things to pay out for but nothing earth shattering.
Seat Toledo - Best car I've owned. Had bad luck with tyres but that was nothing to do with the car. Just general wear and tear costs.
Ford Mondeo - Nothing so far *touches wood*. Just serviced it for the 1st time, only complaint is the muppets forgot to reset the service indicator, but I'll get that reset tomorrow. Oh and it's thirstier than my Toledo (which never got less than 50mpg unless I was REALLY ragging it for the whole tank) and costs me £20 more per tank to fill (90+ quid from empty! FML!), but is lovely to drive (18" wheels make the ride firmer than a normal Mondeo, but still MUCH more comfortable than the toledo!), has a great sound system and looks the biz. And got it dirt cheap with 22k on the clock.

I've recently bought a Mondeo Estate 2ltr Ghia on an 08 plate. Lovely car and so much better than my previous Peugeot 307 estate - build quality pretty poor, especially compared to the Mondeo.

Except, on the Mondeo, the only thing I'm disappointed with are the screen washers. For a car of that quality and they put in two little squirty jets either side of the bonnet that were used on cars 20 years ago! At least with Peugeots the screen wash was superb.

Have they upgraded on the newer Mondeos Aztec?

T

thecraw

I had a wee Punto Sporting years ago which was an absolute money Pitt. I should have petrol bombed the fecking thing.

Wouldn't ever touch a Fiat again EVER!

Captain_Black

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Every car that has given me major problems has been French, I have had 2 or 3 Peugeot's, 1x Renault & 1x Citroen although the Mrs smashed up the Citroen before it had chance to go wrong.

I will never ever buy another French car, the bodywork has the consistency of a Coke can, the electrics are a joke & they are a nightmare to work on.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've recently bought a Mondeo Estate 2ltr Ghia on an 08 plate. Lovely car and so much better than my previous Peugeot 307 estate - build quality pretty poor, especially compared to the Mondeo.

Except, on the Mondeo, the only thing I'm disappointed with are the screen washers. For a car of that quality and they put in two little squirty jets either side of the bonnet that were used on cars 20 years ago! At least with Peugeots the screen wash was superb.

Have they upgraded on the newer Mondeos Aztec?

Not noticed a problem. I have two jets on either side of the bonnet, which clears the screen fine.

Wiper blades are about £50 a pair though!

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Every car that has given me major problems has been French, I have had 2 or 3 Peugeot's, 1x Renault & 1x Citroen although the Mrs smashed up the Citroen before it had chance to go wrong.

I will never ever buy another French car, the bodywork has the consistency of a Coke can, the electrics are a joke & they are a nightmare to work on.

I always thought that it was a known fact that French cars are rubbish! Very similar to Alfa Romeos - they look good but they'll spend more time in the garage than on the road.

I owned a Ford Sierra Sapphire 2000E for about eight years. I was magnificent! BUt then it failed it's MOT on practically everything and the mechanic quoted me £1,000 to put it all right. I scrapped it. Shame as it was the most comfortable car I've ever owned and the sound system was awesome! :whistle:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Up until today I've always said I loved my Leon and it's never gave me any problems.

That was until it cut out on my way out today, and won't run for more than a few seconds on tickover before it cuts out again.

Got it towed to the garage under breakdown cover but there it will have...

Major Service £249
Timing Belt etc £299
Diagnosing and fixing current fault £ who knows???

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I always thought that it was a known fact that French cars are rubbish! Very similar to Alfa Romeos - they look good but they'll spend more time in the garage than on the road.
:

We must be lucky then.
We've had 5 Citroens on the bounce and not had an ounce of problems. Apart from routine servicing.no probs at all.
I'm on my 5th C3 as a Teaching car and although I only keep them 18 months they've been totally reliable.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not noticed a problem. I have two jets on either side of the bonnet, which clears the screen fine.

Wiper blades are about £50 a pair though!

Mmm, looks like I've been spoilt with the superior wash 'n wipe of the Peugeot then.

Anybody that drives a Peugeot will say the same. :)

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
You mentioned Fiat..................... enough said!
The wife has owned 2 Puntos, much against my protestations. She had lots of bother with both. Sounded like a bag of spanners after a few months. Bodywork wise, I've seen tea strainers with less holes.
Absolute bag of kak, both of 'em!!!:sbox:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We had a puncture on the A329M the other week. Turns out the tyres were as bald as BobMc and totally illegal. That was four new ones costing about £250. Had a wiper fly off wiping the screen clear this morning before going to work. Actually Halfords fitted two new wipers for £20 inc fitting. Got its 80000 service next week and its going to be messily expensive I feel

Trouble is we don't really have the money to get a new or second hand car and so I guess its a case of plugging on with the Fiesta until we can sort something out in the future

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We have had beemers (junk, bushes go every week, total refusal to accept major design flaws, which cost three grand to fix), Mercs, (rust buckets), vauxhalls (petrol leaks), fords (more water inside than a swimming pool), whatever.

I now have the worlds least reliable car. But no problems as yet.

Well, apart from fuel consumption.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wifey is on her second Mazda, mx-5 followed by her CX7, have to say that reliability and build quality seem superb. Not too upset with my Hyundai either.

T

thecraw

We had a puncture on the A329M the other week. Turns out the tyres were as bald as BobMc and totally illegal. That was four new ones costing about £250. Had a wiper fly off wiping the screen clear this morning before going to work. Actually Halfords fitted two new wipers for £20 inc fitting. Got its 80000 service next week and its going to be messily expensive I feel

Trouble is we don't really have the money to get a new or second hand car and so I guess its a case of plugging on with the Fiesta until we can sort something out in the future

Lucky boy, its £60 and three points per tyre if the fuzz had caught you. £240 and bye bye licence. Then your wife would still have to fork out on tyres on top. Have a nice day Sir!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always thought that it was a known fact that French cars are rubbish!

I have only ever owned Citroens since we got an old Visa off the in-laws about 25 years ago. Have since had ZX, Xsara and currently C4. Loved the Xsara especially and had it for 10 years. Wife has a C3. Never had a problem with any of them. But I don't do a lot of miles and we did get them all serviced regularly at the local Citroen dealer! :eek::cool:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have only ever owned Citroens since we got an old Visa off the in-laws about 25 years ago. Have since had ZX, Xsara and currently C4. Loved the Xsara especially and had it for 10 years. Wife has a C3. Never had a problem with any of them. But I don't do a lot of miles and we did get them all serviced regularly at the local Citroen dealer! :eek::cool:

Gimme a Citroen over a Peugoet or Renault any day.
And my C3 is miles cheaper to lease than the equivalent Ford.....

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Citroen C3 for me.

Had it nearly 6 years and only had the injectors go (£60) and the radiator (which was likely due to a stone going through the grill £250).

Helps having an uncle who works for the RAC as he keeps it tip top.

Would buy one again with no qualms.

Had a 106 before that and never again!